collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Hunters please read and Help! This affects your points for permits  (Read 2470 times)

Offline 3am

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Current special permit tag holders are being offered to turn in their tags to redeem their points due to the fires and closures in many units. The problem I have is that they want the permits post marked 2 weeks before the season. There is no reason to send permits in this early. Many hunters have been waiting 14+ yrs to draw these tags. Why not make the post mark date due the day before the opener so hunters can really know what the current status of fires and land closures are. This affects hunters that did not draw this year because you don't want permit holders back in next years pool, and the majority of us with special permits truly want to hunt! What I am asking is that you call or email the WDFW to change to post mark date to a day or two before the opener. I realize this probably affects bowhunters and muzzleloaders the most with land closures but what about the dream rifle rut tag guys? Please help us out fellow hunters!

Attached is the email with contact info. Moderators, I realize Buggy posted this in the virtual campfire but I am asking you to leave it in elk hunting for more exposure.
Thanks everyone.

Dear Special Permit Holders,

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) recognizes that current fire conditions may substantially impact special permit holders in many hunt areas.  As such, we are providing you information about the opportunity to return your special permit and have your preference points restored.

If you choose not to participate in the hunt, you are eligible for point restoration. You must return the special hunting season permit to us at the Olympia headquarters two weeks before the opening day of the special hunting season. Once we receive your permit, we will restore your points to the level prior to the permit drawing (WAC 220-412-080).

It is your responsibility to monitor your permit hunt area for fire-related impacts and closures. Because of the ever-changing fire scenario, WDFW will not be able to notify hunters of impacts to specific permit hunt areas.

If you elect to return your permit, and you applied for your hunt on a group application, everyone in the group must turn in their permit for us to restore your points.

If you are unable to get your permit turned in two weeks before the start of your hunt, and if more than 75% of your hunt area is closed to access due to fire restrictions, we will work with you to restore points provided we get your permit before the special permit season starts.

Only include your permit, not your transport tag. You will need your transport tag if you choose to hunt during a general season or if you have other special permits for that species.

Returning your permit will restore your preference points for that hunt category. There will be no refund of your application or license fees (WAC 220-220-100).

Please note, if you choose to turn in your permit and fire conditions improve, we cannot return the permit back to you.

If you decide to return your permit, simply mail it to:
WDFW – Point Restoration
PO Box 43141
Olympia, WA.  98504-3141

Please call us at 360-902-2515 or email us at Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov with any questions or concerns.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
Re: Elk Hunters please read and Help! This affects your points for permits
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 11:17:56 AM »
It already is in there - "If you are unable to get your permit turned in two weeks before the start of your hunt, and if more than 75% of your hunt area is closed to access due to fire restrictions, we will work with you to restore points provided we get your permit before the special permit season starts."

Very fuzzy there, but one would assume it's referring to public land, but I would get a confirmation on that.

Offline 3am

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
I will call to clarify, good point. What does if you are unable to return your permit mean? I'll post what I find out. Really, I think returning the permits should only be due to fire and state land closure. If your unit is open, you should hunt it, which is what most all of us want anyways.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »
What does if you are unable to return your permit mean?

Probably means emotionally! Ha.  Similar to what you are feeling, you don't want to turn it in that early.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 11:30:28 AM »
Are they re-issuing turned in permits to the next in line?  If so, 2 weeks seems really reasonable to me.  Imaging being next in line and getting the call the night before.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 11:36:38 AM »
Current special permit tag holders are being offered to turn in their tags to redeem their points due to the fires and closures in many units. The problem I have is that they want the permits post marked 2 weeks before the season. There is no reason to send permits in this early. Many hunters have been waiting 14+ yrs to draw these tags. Why not make the post mark date due the day before the opener so hunters can really know what the current status of fires and land closures are. This affects hunters that did not draw this year because you don't want permit holders back in next years pool, and the majority of us with special permits truly want to hunt! What I am asking is that you call or email the WDFW to change to post mark date to a day or two before the opener. I realize this probably affects bowhunters and muzzleloaders the most with land closures but what about the dream rifle rut tag guys? Please help us out fellow hunters!

Attached is the email with contact info. Moderators, I realize Buggy posted this in the virtual campfire but I am asking you to leave it in elk hunting for more exposure.
Thanks everyone.

Dear Special Permit Holders,

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) recognizes that current fire conditions may substantially impact special permit holders in many hunt areas.  As such, we are providing you information about the opportunity to return your special permit and have your preference points restored.

If you choose not to participate in the hunt, you are eligible for point restoration. You must return the special hunting season permit to us at the Olympia headquarters two weeks before the opening day of the special hunting season. Once we receive your permit, we will restore your points to the level prior to the permit drawing (WAC 220-412-080).

It is your responsibility to monitor your permit hunt area for fire-related impacts and closures. Because of the ever-changing fire scenario, WDFW will not be able to notify hunters of impacts to specific permit hunt areas.

If you elect to return your permit, and you applied for your hunt on a group application, everyone in the group must turn in their permit for us to restore your points.

If you are unable to get your permit turned in two weeks before the start of your hunt, and if more than 75% of your hunt area is closed to access due to fire restrictions, we will work with you to restore points provided we get your permit before the special permit season starts.

Only include your permit, not your transport tag. You will need your transport tag if you choose to hunt during a general season or if you have other special permits for that species.

Returning your permit will restore your preference points for that hunt category. There will be no refund of your application or license fees (WAC 220-220-100).

Please note, if you choose to turn in your permit and fire conditions improve, we cannot return the permit back to you.

If you decide to return your permit, simply mail it to:
WDFW – Point Restoration
PO Box 43141
Olympia, WA.  98504-3141

Please call us at 360-902-2515 or email us at Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov with any questions or concerns.

Read the WAC. It is written as such that you turn your permit in such time frame,

“ (h) If for any reason a successful applicant chooses not to participate in the hunt, they are eligible for point restoration. The successful applicant seeking point restoration must return the special hunting season permit to the department of fish and wildlife Olympia headquarters two weeks before the opening day of the special hunting season so it can be reissued. The applicant's points will be restored to the level prior to the permit drawing”

Seems fair to me. They did their part and notified you. It is what it is…

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 11:38:33 AM »
Are they re-issuing turned in permits to the next in line?  If so, 2 weeks seems really reasonable to me.  Imaging being next in line and getting the call the night before.

The only way that could happen though to turn it in the day before is if the unit is 75% closed.  So in your example, imagine getting a call the night before for a tag where there is more than a 75% closure in it! 

Not sure many would take that offer, so I'm thinking they assuming if it's 75% closed still, nobody is going to take that tag.

Offline 3am

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 11:41:49 AM »
Last year they returned points to certain units with fires and gave the hunters a week of hunting before turning tags back in. I'm not asking for that but with the majority of the unit I drew closed to state land closures I would sure like to know if it will be opened before Sept 12th. That seems fair to me. I called and left a message, and emailed WDFW to see if I can get any more info.

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 11:54:23 AM »
 With all of eastern Washington experiencing an exceptional drought, which is the highest level they have for a measure for. Probably be Oct-nov before state opens back Their land.

Offline 3am

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 04:42:55 PM »
Thank you for reaching out to us, and yes I can clarify.  If it gets close to your hunt and 75% or more of your GMU is closed due to fire, mail back your permit postmarked prior to the hunt start date and we will restore your points.

Heather Bonagofski

Management Analyst, WDFW Wildlife Program

1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA. 98501

This was the email response I got. I did speak to her on the phone and explained there are no fires in my area but the majority of land is currently closed. She said we could mail back the permit post marked the day before and be ok. I plan on keeping my tag but maybe this will help some of you other tag holders. What she said on the phone is not wht she emailed so take that for what it's worth. Good luck this season.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 05:14:57 PM »
2 weeks allows people to be late to the party and they don't have to deal with being yelled at by someone that forgot or wasn't paying attention.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 03:52:59 PM »
Just remember, If you return your OIL quality elk permit you drew this year, you probably will never see it again in your lifetime no matter how many points you have.  I know each quality tag has its own odds and special circumstances, but you probably will have about a 1% chance of drawing it again in your life.  15 points in Washington doesn't mean all that much.  I don't know the exact numbers, but there are a ton of people with 10 to 20 points in the system.  With the quotas being reduced by close to 75%-90%, chances are it will be gone forever.  I'm not a bowhunter and I know that some of the closures to the public lands make it just about impossible to hunt, but if you have any options at all, I would recommend giving them a try before turning in a tag you will never see again.  These fire closures use to be a rarity but now they seem to be here every year it seems.
Zonk Volmer

Online goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
Just remember, If you return your OIL quality elk permit you drew this year, you probably will never see it again in your lifetime no matter how many points you have.  I know each quality tag has its own odds and special circumstances, but you probably will have about a 1% chance of drawing it again in your life.  15 points in Washington doesn't mean all that much.  I don't know the exact numbers, but there are a ton of people with 10 to 20 points in the system.  With the quotas being reduced by close to 75%-90%, chances are it will be gone forever.  I'm not a bowhunter and I know that some of the closures to the public lands make it just about impossible to hunt, but if you have any options at all, I would recommend giving them a try before turning in a tag you will never see again.  These fire closures use to be a rarity but now they seem to be here every year it seems.

This is where i'm at, I turn 63 this Thursday, If I turn in my Bethel Archery ( drawn with 6 points) tag I do not believe I will ever get it again. Went scouting 3 weeks ago and set cameras up. Now I can't get to them as that area ( 1500 road in) has been closed. Going up this weekend off of HWY 12 to see whats up. :dunno:
Gen:27:3

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 07:28:33 PM »
Hwy 12 access is closed as well.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal