collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Downrigger Location on Small Boats  (Read 2987 times)

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Downrigger Location on Small Boats
« on: August 17, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »
Hoping to get some insight on where everyone puts their downriggers on smaller aluminum boats. I have a 14' and am thinking about mounting them behind the rear bench on a deck/platform.

Disadvantages: I'm the only one reeling, lines will be harder to reach (will be adding swivel bases to make that easier and gain some height), less of a chance of seeing the balls on my depth finder.
Advantages : they are out of the way maintaining my deck space (no middle bench), mounting structure will be sufficiently strong

I do see a lot of people mounting them more towards the middle of the boat though. Given that I don't have a middle bench, this may be tougher for me and I'd likely need to mount them on a 2x6 that spans between the gunwhales. Or build some kind of right angle mounts that secure down to my deck.

Disadvantages: takes up deck space, restricts walkthough access with 2x6 option, right angle bracket option could have strength concerns
Advantages : more balanced position weight wise, more likely to see balls on depth finder, two person reel access, better access to lines.

Where are your downriggers on your small boat?

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Downrigger Location on Small Boats
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 11:41:21 AM »
Do you already have the downriggers? There are quite a few available that clamp on, eliminating the need for a mount as you describe.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 12:07:34 PM »
Auburn sports and marine sells bolt on downrigger mounting brackets, if you’re not afraid of drilling holes. I had one on my old smoker craft and it worked well.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »
Yep, got some Penn Fathomaster 600's with the 2' booms. I think the gunwales are too thin to support the forces a downrigger will put on them, especially in the middle of the boat where there's no bench support between thim. It's a typical riveted aluminum utility boat so they already vibrate a lot under idle. Not heavy gauge material.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 02:22:06 PM »
I had a 14' smokercraft and mounted them over the rear seat, simply because it was easiest to build a mount there than anywhere else.

I don't think it matters much, you get used to where they are.

Offline kenzmad

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 09:13:50 PM »
Imagine hooking a crab pot. Do you want it to roll the boat? As far aft as practicable is best. Harder to drag the stern under than it is to tip a small boat over. :twocents:
A stranger ain't nothing more than a friend you haven't met yet

Offline curtmdavis

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 05:36:22 AM »
This how I rigged mine. Clamps that attach to the gunnel, and some AL plate. The turn buckles provide the support.

Offline curtmdavis

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 05:41:36 AM »
 One is toward the back, one more forward. Hung up my DR balls on stumps a few times. Never tipped, only turns me abruptly. 
 In this image there both pretty far back.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 07:38:16 AM »
My small boat is even worse as it is a foldable (soft sides, plastic) PortaBote. Seat attachment and or cross bar options were considered, but just ended up using a Dipsy Diver for now. My pole holders are clamp on and work well, but I don’t think they will take a lot of strain.
I will probably build a cross bar in the back and use that for a downrigger mount at some point, as I want to reinforce the transom, but for now I will use Divers.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 07:47:26 AM by GWP »
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 04:47:23 PM »
Went with a mount behind the rear bench on a platform that connects the bench to the transom. Worked great today. Only had one mounted though, baseplate for the second comes in Monday. Will update with pics later.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 08:36:46 PM »
Mount forward enough to easily access your downrigger clips and you don't want to have to lean back to the transom to real them up. Also, too far back and they will act like the vane of an arrow trying to keep the boat going in a straight line... experienced that.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 08:47:47 PM »
It was definitely harder to turn to port (downrigger was on starboard). Tiller drive made it a little easier to overcome. I can reach the clip from my seat and reel from it pretty comfortably too. The port side will be more interesting for that. Will definitely have to stand up to get over to the clip, hoping I can reach the crank though.

Got my second mounting bracket in the mail today but doing a bear hunt tomorrow. Hope to get everything in place Monday.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 09:21:26 AM »
Dry fit for the port downrigger went well, looks like I can reel and deploy from my seat on that one too. Only need to stand up to reach the clip.

At 1-1.3 MPH with an 8lb ball I can track them on my sonar down to about 50' and I lose them due to blowback after that. Didn't want to go too heavy on the ball in a small boat but maybe it's less of an issue than I'm assuming.

Overall I'm happy with the placement right now. Going to hit Chelan for Kokes and Macks this weekend and then Alta Mon-Tue for Kokes. That will be the true test, particularly the Macks.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 09:24:01 AM »
With pics

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »
For your releases, run them on 6' (or even more) of 150ish pound mono.  Then, get a broom stick, cut the broom off and screw in an open eye hook.  Use that to grab the mono from the release and you don't have to lean over.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 10:09:02 AM »
Good idea Stein, was thinking of doing something like that. Need a good bonker too anyways!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 10:14:55 AM »
When the coho rodeo is in full swing around the derby weekends, you don't want to be leaning over the side any more than you absolutely have to.  It also allows you to keep the balls in the water when fully retrieved which prevents them from swing all around and either breaking off or smashing against your boat.  I adjust my stops so they are just low enough to stay in the water but high enough to generally be out of the way when netting or fish running sideways at the last minute.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 10:22:53 AM »
Picked up an extendable tiller handle so I can stand while running for duck season. It's a little weak at the shaft connection point so I'm going to stick a dowel up in there to stiffen it up. One dowel, two uses!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 05:59:06 PM »
For your releases, run them on 6' (or even more) of 150ish pound mono.  Then, get a broom stick, cut the broom off and screw in an open eye hook.  Use that to grab the mono from the release and you don't have to lean over.

You can also use that to release fish without netting them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal