collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Special Permit question  (Read 2772 times)

Online SlowJoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: WSTA
Special Permit question
« on: August 17, 2021, 03:13:33 PM »
First question as a newbie here. Can a Non WCO trapper apply for a Special Permit?  I found out my neighbors pet dog was killed by coyotes last week, along with a few of their goats over the past few months.

He heard I got my trapping license and wants my help. I'm hoping I can help him.  I've got trail cam footage of a pack of 6 of them on our property. So quite a few to eliminate

Also, anyone know where one can get a good deal on a 1/2 dozen padded footholds?  I saw some used ones at the rendezvous, I should have picked them up there.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Special Permit question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 03:22:33 PM »
Its a big long process, they don't give permits out very easy. They have to come out and certify the livestock or the pet kill was indeed coyotes etc.

A lot of times they want less lethal methods used first as well.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 03:34:31 PM »
In my experience getting permits hasn't been that difficult. Most of mine was for underwater conibear use on beavers.

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »
Please keep in mind I have not gotten a special permit for over a year, but it is/was easy peasy.  Describe how the land owner has tried to deal with the problem, i.e. fencing, live traps etc.  Describe what you want to use, i.e. padded footholds, how many you want to catch.  Most times it was emailed to me within a day or so and was good for 30 days and could be extended upon request.  The land owner can apply for the permit and list you as the one who will do the trapping.  All that said I HIGHLY recommend you do a couple of things as a new trapper.  Coyotes are one of the hardest critters to catch for new trappers and you could end up educating them and making the job nearly impossible for someone else to come in and catch them.  Try and find a local trapper who is capable of catching them and have him watch you make a set or two.  Finally really look at the area you are going to trap.  Is there even a remote chance you'll catch someone's dog or cat?  Is the area able to exclude trespassers, particularly kids?  If not, don't do it, don't even chance it.  The sport of trapping cannot survive if the state's trappers make bad choices and have a really bad incident hit the news....particularly this state.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Online SlowJoe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »
Gotcha. The landowner has fencing and guard dogs for his flock.  The property is 15 acres or so, so I think there are places outside the animal fencing that  traps could be set so as to avoid the dogs.  Kids/other pets won't be a problem. This is very rural. One road in and out. And the neighbor has a gate that would keep uninvited folks out. I'll do my best to make sure all my interactions with the general public are positive.

Your point about educating the coyotes is good though.  Anyone know an experienced trapper in Thurston county I could ask for help?

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 04:40:14 PM »
You can get a permit for YOUR property easily but you will not be able to get one for your neighbor property
So just get one for your property and nail them with some dirt hole sets or blind trail set

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »
I think you should be able to get a permit for your neighbors property by having him apply for the permit and list you as the trapper. Do reference any depredated animals. That is the only way you will get a permit approved. If this is your first year trapping it may help to get a trapping license before applying. It isn't necessary but may help get the permit if they see you are a licensed trapper.
I have never had them come out and look before approving a permit. Mailing in the permit is an option but recently I wouldn't recommend it. By e-mail is the way to go.
You're new so what do you need? I would order 4 to 6 #3 Softcatch. You will need an anchoring system. I would recommend looking into some type of earth anchors. You can use rebar stakes. Whatever, they need to be drove below surface and solid enough so you cannot pull them. When pulling traps you can use a bar or a wrecking bar depending on what you have.
Treating the traps: you can use them as is but they will last better if treated. Small amount, I would dip them in rustoleum paint/ethanol free gas, 50/50 mix. They need to hang and air out for at least a week. You can treat after you do the job if you are rushed.
You also need a small shovel, sifter, pancovers which you can make out of wax paper and you need lure.
First time out I think a commercial lure would do you better than trying to make something yourself. Some bait and a couple different lures, three would be better.
DVD or book about coyote trapping would help. I would concentrate on two sets, dirthole and pee post. I'm not going to explain. That is what the DVD and book are for.
Call Ted Cantrell (509)930-0377 He can fix you up with what you need if you talk to him about what you have going.
Location is of utmost importance. Find their travel way. Open is better. They don't like to be hemmed in. Set two sets at a location. Simplified: dirthole and scent post within sight of each other. Same in another location but different lure for variety.
If you catch them in October or later by all means put them up. You can't sell them but you can have a nice wall hanger.
Bruce Vandervort

Online SlowJoe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 07:05:59 AM »
I appreciate the tips and recommendations. I'll give Ted a call for gear. I'm familiar with dirt hole sets, but I think a book/DVD is in-order anyway.  As someone who has never trapped coyotes, I don't know what I don't know.  Luckily this my home turf so I know where they travel. I feel like I have half a chance. I'd LOVE to have a nice wall hanger, and maybe give one to the neighbor.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 08:06:57 AM »
My family trapped for years.  When prices tanked my dad quit.  That being said I showed him and my cousin some videos from Coon Creek Outdoors on Youtube.  They both said he has some great info, he does target yotes so that might not hurt to look at.

Online SlowJoe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »
I just watched some coon creek outdoors on YouTube. Super helpful! Thanks!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 09:03:39 AM »
Good luck!!  Be ready to deal with skunks, because you will almost certainly catch them as well.  :)
Fred Moyer

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 01:36:23 PM »
Good luck!!  Be ready to deal with skunks, because you will almost certainly catch them as well.  :)
Pan tension
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »
Pan tension

These are the FAT Eastern ones, not those little stinkers you guys have.  :)  :)  :)  Just kidding Bruce.
Fred Moyer

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »
Can you shoot them?
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Online SlowJoe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 04:37:16 PM »
Can you shoot them?

Shooting them was plan A for the landowner, but he had not had much luck. I definitely want to try my hand at trapping them first. But setting up a calling station and trying to shoot them is my Plan B. I've never coyote hunted before either, so its going to be a learning experience either way.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]