collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Contingency Plans: High Buck Hunt  (Read 2293 times)

Offline STLHDHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Contingency Plans: High Buck Hunt
« on: August 17, 2021, 08:39:53 PM »
Hey all -

With the recent fires in Bumping (hope anyone out that way is okay) we're reconsidering our September plans and may be calling an audible from an Archery Elk hunt to the High Buck Hunt.

Would like to pick the brains of anyone that has done High Buck in the past and had some success. Obviously, my September hunt efforts have been focused on scouting for Elk so I'm just looking for general thoughts at this point.

Ideally would like to focus on Alpine Lakes but know there's a lot of hikers out there that we may bump into. Any thoughts as to a general area to focus scouting efforts on?

Thanks!
Brian

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Contingency Plans: High Buck Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »
Hey all -

With the recent fires in Bumping (hope anyone out that way is okay) we're reconsidering our September plans and may be calling an audible from an Archery Elk hunt to the High Buck Hunt.

Would like to pick the brains of anyone that has done High Buck in the past and had some success. Obviously, my September hunt efforts have been focused on scouting for Elk so I'm just looking for general thoughts at this point.

Ideally would like to focus on Alpine Lakes but know there's a lot of hikers out there that we may bump into. Any thoughts as to a general area to focus scouting efforts on?

Thanks!
Brian

Brian regardless where and / or when you go good luck getting away from the frigging hikers during any season.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:35:16 AM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline STLHDHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 08:51:18 PM »
Hey all -

Thanks!
Brian

Brian regardless where and / or when you go good like getting away from the frigging hikers during any season.
Yeah, that’s what I’m seeing from a search of prior posts. Thinking worse terrain will attract fewer folks but know that many of the lakes are super popular these days. Thanks, Jingles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 10:23:01 PM »
Trails attract people.  Big, trailed basins and big water attracts people.  Deer, they are in the right terrain whether there's a neat lake or convenient trail... Or not.  Go places deer like and peiple dont and you are on to something.

Online abhold87

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 11:29:36 AM »
With all the closures and fires I’m sure it will be super super crowded this year. Harder the hike usually the less people you see. From my experience find an area without a trail going to it and you will see way less people. For our regular spot it’s about 4 hours of crappy hiking brush busting up a ridge but we never see a single person in a huge area.
The pursuit of happiness is best spent In the outdoors doing manly stuff like killing things or fishing.

Offline salt n sage90

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 03:21:11 PM »
It is what you make of it.
1. You can find a spot you've been wanting to check out but never had the time to and go explore with a gun on you back.
2. You can try and find some far off golden basin and be alone when you get there or disappointed that there are already 6 guys there.
3. You can beat the crap out of yourself trying to get where nobody will be and be too tired to hunt when you get there.
4. Accept that people have access to the same technology and e-scouting equipment you have and just pick a spot and pull the trigger.
5. any other scenario you can imagine.

Once you get where you wanna be, leave the trail a ways, pick a ridge, and go for a walk. Its not a whole lot different than general season except you weed out the road hunters. Everyone out there at least had to work a little bit, (unless you drive to hearts pass ha JK). People doesn't always mean no deer, we shot a buck within an hour of getting into where we wanted to hunt and saw several groups of hunters last year.

good luck.
"Nothing sinks faster than a downrigger ball"

Offline jeffitz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 08:57:42 PM »
Well High Buck hunters - are you changin your clothing outfits for this weather coming ? Might get a little Western up there this weekend.
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 09:00:25 PM »
I heard snow down to 6,000 feet occasionally, with the freezing level holding at 8,000 and dropping to 7,000 during the next few.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal