collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bearpaw Season - Fall 2021  (Read 20724 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Bearpaw Season - Fall 2021
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2022, 09:30:51 AM »
Another unusual cougar hunt, this cat had circled all around a small area hunting, the guides split up and started walking tracks trying to figure out where to turn the dogs on the tracks. Brian was quite a ways up the mountainside and as he approached a big uprooted tree saw where the cat had been laying under the root wad, the cat heard him coming, ran out made a circle around him just out of sight and then back tracked Brian’s foot prints almost all the way back down to the truck. He got back to the truck and turned loose on the fresh track, the cat kept circling and walking on downed trees where the dogs couldn’t go, he swam a large creek, he circled the other hillside and managed to mix the dogs all up, Brandon headed up a trail to help the dogs and the cat ran face to face with Brandon, he hollered at the cat and then hollered at Sam and his dad to come up to him, and was hollering for the hounds to come to him so he could get them lined out again, as luck would have it he looked up a tree as he was following the cat tracks and there was the cat, all his hollering had scared the cat up a tree. He watched the cat until the hunters got there and Sam from Georgia got himself a nice tom! Great effort by everyone involved. Sam and his dad both said it was the hardest hunt they had ever done!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2022, 09:53:30 AM »
Congrats on taking him down
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2022, 08:44:21 PM »
Tree’ed his own cat, nicely done. 👍

Lifetime hunt there.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2022, 09:39:24 PM »
Nicely done!
Thank you for sharing 👍
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2022, 11:24:18 PM »
That's a story that will be told and retold around the fire in your camps for years. Congratulations to the hunters and guides.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2022, 05:15:36 PM »
Very cool!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2022, 09:50:09 AM »
Going after a big one today, there’s also a female with a kitten in the same area, I swear it always seems like you end up with the smallest cat in a tree. My fingers are crossed for the right cat in a tree.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:58:09 PM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2022, 01:50:46 PM »
Good luck!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2022, 04:26:13 PM »
Go get him Dale.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2022, 06:23:59 PM »
The dogs were released and took the track with hunters following. It was an average chase and after a while the dogs were treed, and finally Tyson, Zach, and Otis from Michigan made it to the tree to see what the dogs caught, fortunately it was the big tom.

As they approached the tree the big cat jumped and the chase was on again. The cat didn't go far and the dogs treed him again. This time they got photos and Otis shot the cat, it jumped and took off a short distance but went down, Zach ran over to make sure the cat was dead, Tyson let two of the dogs go thinking the cat was dead, just as Zach got to the cat so did the two dogs, the cat which had looked dead came to life and grabbed one of the dogs by the head, zach tried to stomp the cats neck to hold the cat down and make it let go of the dog, it let go and grabbed Zach’s foot, fortunately it had the sole of the boot sideways which prevented the cat from biting into Zach’s foot, they shot the cat two more times and it died letting go of Zach’s foot.

They had to skin this cat to get it out, but they estimated the weight 160 to 170, another dandy big tom. I took a snowmobile around to where they came off the mountain and picked everyone up, we had 4 people, 4 dogs, cat hide and packs all on my Tundra and dog sled that I was pulling, all was good until I spun out on a steep spot halfway back so had Zach and Tyson jumped off to wait while I took Otis back.

We got to the other machines, I started a sled for Otis and told him he could start working his way back to the truck while I got the other guys. I got the other guys back to their sleds and we all started out of there, up sped up ahead looking to catch up to Otis to make sure he didn’t make a wrong turn.

I never caught him, I got all the way back to the trucks and Otis wasn’t there, he must have taken a wrong turn. I dropped the dog sled and headed back out looking, I met the other guys and told them Otis had taken a wrong turn but figured he was in the trail where I had picked them up, they went to the trucks and waited, I headed onward about as fast as I dared, I was half afraid of finding him rolled over into a canyon or and stuck under the sled, you always wonder about the worse case scenario.

I zipped down into the canyon where I picked them all up, Otis was at the end of the road, he got stuck turning around. I got his sled unstuck and we headed back to the trucks.

We had a hearty dinner and lamented about the big cat and the day’s events. I also told Zach he is now a member of the “Foot in the Mouth Club.” LOL

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2022, 06:25:29 PM »
More

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2022, 06:29:17 PM »
Another happy hunter! Beautiful cat.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2022, 06:30:20 PM »
That sounds like a great hunt  :tup:

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2022, 06:59:20 PM »
Wow what a hunt, congratulations on a great Tom!  :tup:
IAFF #3728

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2022, 07:33:34 PM »
Nice!! I’m sure some heartbeats were elevated there for a bit!! Nice write up and good job all around!
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]