collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Have wood will travel  (Read 12595 times)

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
Have wood will travel
« on: August 30, 2021, 07:55:54 AM »
What will you do when the gas is to high priced? I have been working on this project for over six months converting my 1983 Toyota pickup with a small block Chevy V8 conversion into a alternative fuel truck. The title of the thread is the name of the book written by Wayne Keith from Springville Alabama, who started playing with woodgas some 20 years ago when his limit was reached when gasoline hit 1.80$/gallon. The book details the design and complete construction of the WK gassifier wich I have replicated in my truck. Many years ago I built this truck as a go fast look at me burn tires fun machine with the help of @recovery and his son Danny. Now with rising inflation and gas prices at crazy prices I have made it possible to once again affordably drive my little rat rod truck, now dubbed the Chevotafire. It runs purely on wood, with the gasoline carburetor as a backup. Over 200hrs of fabrication and still some more to do but this last Friday I brought it home from the shop and fired off the system for the first time. Very pleased to say it wasn't a pulling your leg on the internet result, it runs on WOODGAS! For those that don't know woodgas isn't a new thing it is WW2 technology when all the fuel was being shipped to the front lines for the war effort people in small villages had to find a way to power there cars and trucks to get around. The technology pretty much stalled out when the war ended and fuel came back, but has had a resurgence with people seeking more independence around the globe. The driveonwood.com forum is where all this can be seen, a true world over group of woodgassers I joined to ask all the dumb questions of a new guy getting into a new project that no one locally knows anything about or has done. At this time there are only 2 functional driving woodgas trucks in Washington state and I made number 3. In a world of uncertain times when the gas runs out or is unattainable due to cost, what would you do? My motorcycle gets great milage, but it can't haul much. This truck still has five feet of usable bed space and can haul a small trailer. Lots more bugs to work out and learning to drive it, but I view this as another preparation in place when shtf. A way to move about not requiring the infrastructure that seems to be crumbling around us. Thanks for reading here are a few short videos of the truck running on WOODGAS!
https://youtube.com/shorts/JDsz3jm2oI0?feature=share

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Have wood will travel
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:05:47 AM »
That’s pretty cool, I’ve heard of gassifier mods, even saw a guy in North Carolina build one on the history channels show “Mountain Men” that’s pretty awesome!
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 08:24:51 AM »
Very cool!
One of the things I read was that wood gas significantly increased the wear on engines. What mitigation can/is done, and what driving conditions are best for woodgas?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 08:33:01 AM »
Eustace on mtn.men built one yes his was a modified FEMA design which is a very simple system but requires very dry hardwood to operate but is know to run cold and produce a tar like substance that will gum the motor up and cause some failures. This design on my truck started as a fema and had design features of a imbert added to it. The imbert was the one build overseas during the war and both had drawbacks for longevity, which is my goal here. Wayne himself that authored the book has logged more miles on woodgass then anyone know, over 300,000 miles at this point. One of the members of the driveonwood forum is at this moment setting a Guinness book of world records traveling coast to coast in a wood gas powered V8 Dodge Dakota pickup he left Alabama I think 7 days ago and hit the Oregon coast yesterday morning and will be driving over to Minnesota before heading back home to set the record for the world's longest wood gas powered road trip

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 08:39:43 AM »
Very cool!
One of the things I read was that wood gas significantly increased the wear on engines. What mitigation can/is done, and what driving conditions are best for woodgas?

A lot of people say it will deteriorate the engine much faster than gasoline but the only adverse effect that anybody on the forum has found so far is on long trips it's not uncommon for a little bit of soot to make it up to the engine and can clog a carburetor for gasoline use and potentially can make it past the rings and make the oil a little bit too thick most guys with wood gas trucks are changing their oil every 2,000 miles other than that if the system is running properly and not producing any tar there are trucks that have gone over 100,000 miles so far problem free. It is much like running a propane fuel

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 08:59:45 AM »
Yesterday was the first ever west coast woodgas meet up couple pictures of the three trucks there mine wasn't ready yet
White 460 automatic ford f250 owned by Mike Gibb of Kent, black 318 automatic dodge Dakota owned by Bob Mac of east Wenatchee, and the orange 318 automatic Dakota owned by Jakob North of Alabama and yes he drove it on wood power all the way from Alabama. He is currently attempting the longest woodgas road trip that we know of and will be over 9000 miles by the time he gets back home. And he is 17 years old and built the truck himself. His family owns several woodgas powered trucks and he and his dad built them all

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »
This is jakobs truck at his first stop in Washington to meet a few people for lunch

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 08:16:01 PM »
Little test drive in the wood burner today

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 08:30:10 PM »
Very Nice work... :tup:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 08:28:30 AM »
Little video from this morning and cleaning condensation out of the system

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 08:32:35 AM »
https://youtube.com/shorts/TU1ACQJue7s?feature=share
Coming home last night

Video from my drive in this morning, milage is getting better the more I drive it

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »
Video walk around of the truck and how the system works for the curious. WARNING 32 MINUTE VIDEO

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 07:28:35 AM »
Y'all hope in and let's take a joy ride out through enumclaw on a beautiful winter day, a joy ride with no FUEL COST!

Checking over the temperatures after a drive in to work, you can see it's very safe to be around and makes a nice radiant shop heater when I pull in in the morning  :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 01:51:40 PM »
This is really cool!

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2021, 08:00:05 PM »
I tell you it's a lot more fun to drive when you know you don't have to stop at a gas station ever unless your thirsty 8)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]