collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Big Two points, again  (Read 8468 times)

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Big Two points, again
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2021, 08:38:29 PM »
This topic gets beat up every year, and every year there's little to no evidence of a MATURE 2x2 issue produced. Theres a bunch of dead legal deer like dvolmers, or there's young deer that haven't blossomed yet such as most posted in this thread. Do they exist in nature? Sure. To the numbers people claim? Absolutely not. As I've stated in previous threads, look at the body structure and age more than the antlers. And what most claim as "big" are  small bodied, slender faced and 16" wide, with 10" g2's. Hardly a pandemic in the deer woods.

Let's remember it takes two to tango. Just because a buck is a big mature clean 2pt DOES NOT mean he breeds clean 2's. The doe puts as much genetic input into her fawn than the buck does.

:hello:
doesn't really matter to me whether it's age or gene pool  or something else that creates these somewhat larger horned 2 points. I'm just not happy to find at least one (last year 3) shot and left every year. All have been close to the road  and I'm guessing shot by a hunter who doesn't know what a G2 is. Warden at the checking station last year admitted they had several reports of not only 2 points shot but many small mule deer bucks shot on the late hunt. Just seem to be too many shoot first, check what you got after hunters out there. Personally wish they didn't have the antler requirement differential between between whitetail and mule deer. I'd say take the whitetail up to a 3 point minimum to match the mule deer requirement.jusy my opinion.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2021, 08:40:52 PM »
When I saw this thread pop up, I thought Johnny Rebel would make an appearance and discourse about history.  Might have to wait until January, when we get bored and what not.

P.S. There are some really wonderful folk on this website.  He's one of them.  And, CRyder, too.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2021, 08:49:05 PM »
When I saw this thread pop up, I thought Johnny Rebel would make an appearance and discourse about history.  Might have to wait until January, when we get bored and what not.

P.S. There are some really wonderful folk on this website.  He's one of them.  And, CRyder, too.
Where is cryder

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2021, 08:53:17 PM »
He's out hunting mule deer.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2021, 10:48:19 PM »
Out of about a dozen 2 point bucks I saw on my last trip I would say that 11 were 1.5 to 2.5 year old deer. Even though some look like nice bucks. They all do coming from the blacktail woods and hitting mule deer country. But one was for sure a tank. Probably 24 inches wide, heavy horned, deep forks. Way older age class then the 4x4 I saw with it. But he was a clean 2 point. And a massive body. I just love getting on numbers of bucks and with mule deer being able to get on probably 18 different bucks in a few days with a few being legal to me makes a great hunt. And of course filling a tag on the trip is just icing on the cake. It was cool to see a bunch of bucks still in velvet during a muzzy season as well and being able to harvest my first fuzzy wuzzy buck. :chuckle:
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2021, 08:12:42 PM »
Ironically the one mature actual 2x2 that dvolmer posted i believe came from either MT or WY which are any buck states  :chuckle:
. Two of the three bucks I’ve posted came from Wyoming. One is a Washington buck.
Zonk Volmer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal