collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opening morning decisions ! First year elk/archery  (Read 7422 times)

Offline Meattoeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Opening morning decisions ! First year elk/archery
« on: September 09, 2021, 07:56:52 PM »
I’m torn, spent all summer with cameras and checking out a rather small area. I’m sure if you’re on this forum a lot you’ve seen my posts.

Come august they were still coming to the cameras I had in this area. But in fewer numbers and less frequent, with a surprise spike in the mix randomly.

So I went out searching for better sign down in a hell hole of a valley and low and behold I find this poor excuse for a wallow and real fresh rub.

I’m fairly certain this unit will be a madhouse opening day and plan on being at the gate by 2ish am and hiking down in the dark. How would y’all suggest to set up on something like this? It’s about 80 yards down off the hill, and probably that again until it hits legit swamp.

Or do I go back to where I’m decently confident they’re bedding, or at least passing on a semi weekly basis.

Pic is from Monday. It had standing water. Which was nowhere else to be found. And I suspect was just elk piss, I didn’t sniff it😂 but I have seen other wallows much bigger

Work schedule and baby due means I’ve got really one maybe two days to hunt in a row hard.

Thinking the wallow is my best shot

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Opening morning decisions ! First year elk/archery
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 08:16:47 PM »
Find the trail leading to and from the wallow looks like they are using that trail over the log and that thick stuff in the back of wallow and sit off of that a bit with good shooting lanes
You say it’s down a hill so be aware of the wind it will be dropping right down into that wallow in the morning that’s why you should sit off of the trail if the wind allows it
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:30:02 PM by huntnfmly »
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »
Find the trail leading to and from the wallow and sit off of that a bit with good shooting lanes
You say it’s down a hill so be aware of the wind it will be dropping right down into that wallow in the morning that’s why you should sit off of the trail if the wind allows it

Solid. I didn’t think of that. I figured the bulls would be coming down from up high and the cows from down low.

And that they wouldn’t come to “wallow” until mid day but they might be in the area

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 08:51:32 PM »
Find the trail leading to and from the wallow and sit off of that a bit with good shooting lanes

Solid. I didn’t think of that. I figured the bulls would be coming down from up high and the cows from down low.

And that they wouldn’t come to “wallow” until mid day but they might be in the area
True true
If you know where they are bedding and can get down to the trail to that wallow without your scent drifting into their bedroom sounds like a good plan

Offline Stalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »
What are you hunting, bull or cow? I would get in there early and listen to what the animals are telling me and go from there.  If you are hunting bulls then listen to them and move on there calling. You will want to be talking back to them, maybe cow calls maybe bugle, you will need to evaluate based on what you are hearing, how aggresive are the bulls?  If cows you are going to try to intercept them going from feed to bedding so the wallow is not going to be a big factor in your hunting.  There is a lot more to chasing elk then posting a wallow and asking how one would hunt it.  Lots of guys on here have lots of knowedge and are willing to help but I believe there is more that one would need to know.  Not looking to bust your nuts, just saying.   :twocents:

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »
What are you hunting, bull or cow? I would get in there early and listen to what the animals are telling me and go from there.  If you are hunting bulls then listen to them and move on there calling. You will want to be talking back to them, maybe cow calls maybe bugle, you will need to evaluate based on what you are hearing, how aggresive are the bulls?  If cows you are going to try to intercept them going from feed to bedding so the wallow is not going to be a big factor in your hunting.  There is a lot more to chasing elk then posting a wallow and asking how one would hunt it.  Lots of guys on here have lots of knowedge and are willing to help but I believe there is more that one would need to know.  Not looking to bust your nuts, just saying.   :twocents:
Then don’t bust em
He said he only has a couple days to hunt absolutely nothing wrong with his thread and questions

Offline Stalker

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 09:40:40 PM »
Then don’t bust em
He said he only has a couple days to hunt absolutely nothing wrong with his thread and questions

I didn't say there was anything wrong with his thread. I simply pointed out that IMO there is more info needed whether he is hunting bulls or cows, you do know you hunt them differently.  If he wants to maximize his hunting time then these are important considerations, again IMO.  But please add whatever "hunting" info you have that would benefit. 

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 09:42:45 PM »
If you get in there as early as you're planning consider just sitting back aways from the wallow, up on the road/trial in. Figure out the wind, listen for bugles, let things settle before diving in. Give yourself some options in direction to go. Consider what else is around the wallow, clearcuts, heavy timber, reprod. Your pic looks like viable elk sign but I would not commit to sitting on it. With limited time I would be prepared to be mobile.  :twocents:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 12:02:42 AM »

Totally get it. Just finding the fresher sign less than a week before opener threw a wrench in my “plan”

I’m hunting the first legal animal I see, cow or 3ptmin.
I hadn’t seen any cows on Public all summer but I finally noticed them on public land maybe 2 weeks ago. So it’s all sort of changing as this is my first year seeing their pattern as fall approaches.

In the end I’m not asking for a sure fire plan to shoot a 300” bull lol just getting some opinions because my only thought is to get there and hike in earlier (like 2am) and further than the rest of public madness I’m sure will be there.

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 12:13:08 AM »
If you get in there as early as you're planning consider just sitting back aways from the wallow, up on the road/trial in. Figure out the wind, listen for bugles, let things settle before diving in. Give yourself some options in direction to go. Consider what else is around the wallow, clearcuts, heavy timber, reprod. Your pic looks like viable elk sign but I would not commit to sitting on it. With limited time I would be prepared to be mobile.  :twocents:

It’s sort of a hard spot to get into, it’s about a 1200’ drop in just as many feet horizontally, like a damn staircase but mixed with some deadfall and typical thick western wa brush. But the bottom opens into nice big shooting lanes with that cabage looking brush and clover/grass. Plus it’s much quieter to move around at the bottom.

No real hunt-able clearcuts they’re all bloody steep and not enough cover to make a move in on any sort of elk with archery equipment at least in my current skill level. I’ll only take a 40 yard shot.

It’s a rather large drainage that’s flat for a really good section. And I just feel it’s a spot that as the elk get pressured from all around it’s an area they’d be heading too.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 06:22:29 AM »
All great advice sounds like a good spot with that description of a lot of flat ground in a big drainage.
Bulls will be looking and following the cows we have bulls already bird digging cows on a trail cam in our area have fun and keep us posted 👍

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 07:28:42 AM »
Plus it’s much quieter to move around at the bottom.

Point 1: Expect to lose a good quart of blood to the mosquitos down in those holes  :yike:

Point 2: Not sure if you're calling or not but one of my favorite things about elk hunting is how much less important being quiet is. Deer sneak around. Elk sound like like a drunk carnival troop lost in the woods. They will be way more weirded out by something sneaking than they will by something crashing. Not sure if you call or not, lots of people prefer not to, but just having a simple cow call (not hoochie mama) will help cover your noises. If you need to crash through something, do it. Just let off a little cow call after and it'll seem pretty normal. Thats my  :twocents: , but if someone replys and says the opposite of me then I would probably take their advice instead  :chuckle:
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 07:51:30 AM »
Plus it’s much quieter to move around at the bottom.

Point 1: Expect to lose a good quart of blood to the mosquitos down in those holes  :yike:

Point 2: Not sure if you're calling or not but one of my favorite things about elk hunting is how much less important being quiet is. Deer sneak around. Elk sound like like a drunk carnival troop lost in the woods. They will be way more weirded out by something sneaking than they will by something crashing. Not sure if you call or not, lots of people prefer not to, but just having a simple cow call (not hoochie mama) will help cover your noises. If you need to crash through something, do it. Just let off a little cow call after and it'll seem pretty normal. Thats my  :twocents: , but if someone replys and says the opposite of me then I would probably take their advice instead  :chuckle:

I’ll have my cow call and tube with me but I figured depending on pressure they may get nervous from the sudden 30 other hunters cow calling and bugling

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 08:29:08 AM »
Yah that can happen. But soft cow calls should still help cover a bit of noise. Totally agree that ripping bugles opening morning can sometimes be less than productive.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 08:37:52 AM »
Yah that can happen. But soft cow calls should still help cover a bit of noise. Totally agree that ripping bugles opening morning can sometimes be less than productive.

Either way I’ll make I let y’all know how it goes come Saturday evening!

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 09:07:19 AM »
Also side note, any tips and tricks for field dressing an elk solo? I’ve killed two deer and helped my wife and my buddy get their firsts. So I’m still fairly new to the process. I’ve got para cord and am planning on just using the trees to help hold limbs up while I gut the elk and then hike out and call for some buddies to pack out. Or should I try and skin it and hang game bags?

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 09:43:05 AM »
Also side note, any tips and tricks for field dressing an elk solo? I’ve killed two deer and helped my wife and my buddy get their firsts. So I’m still fairly new to the process. I’ve got para cord and am planning on just using the trees to help hold limbs up while I gut the elk and then hike out and call for some buddies to pack out. Or should I try and skin it and hang game bags?
Look up the gutless method on you tube works great others prefer bone in but worth looking into

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 11:45:44 AM »
Look up the gutless method on you tube works great others prefer bone in but worth looking into

I’ve sort of done that way once. I’ll have to adjust it a little if I get a decent bull I’ll be trying to cape it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:30:23 PM by Meattoeat »

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »
👍

I’ve sort of done that way once. I’ll have to adjust it a little if I get a decent bull I’ll be trying to caps it.

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 04:55:07 AM »

I do gutless sometimes when I’m far away from home but always have trouble getting into the loins. Any tips for getting in there?

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »

I do gutless sometimes when I’m far away from home but always have trouble getting into the loins. Any tips for getting in there?

Randy new berg has a video that shows it fairly well. It’s the last thing to come
Out I believe.

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2021, 03:28:18 PM »
Well this looks a little more promising

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2021, 03:51:06 PM »
Looks elk-y! How'd your morning hunt go?

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »
Looks elk-y! How'd your morning hunt go?

Struggled, elk aren’t talking yet. And seems like the masses are hunting the other side of the hill. So not really anyone pushing animals around. Lots of good sign, just no movement. Think I’ll head to the coast tomorrow

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 04:57:49 PM »
Better than my area outside of Morton  :tup:

I need a new spot, or they need to start logging it and clear some areas out. Didn't see an elk, hear an elk, smell an elk, no fresh tracks, no fresh anything.

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2021, 01:50:09 PM »
Well I went out this morning. Bit of a late start, worked my way down and when I came to the edge of the big open meadow I spotted a tree go from verticals, to sideways and back up again. Needless to say it got my excited.

I sat back and sort of tried to put a plan together. I did a few cow calls and some bugles. Didn’t take much and he responded with some chuckling.

He was 150 yards away and just going to town destroying the trees and bushes but I couldn’t see him.

Ended up deciding to drop my pack and work my wat through the field after he was responding but not moving. So I moved into about 60 yards before calling again but I had made the decision to leave my tube at the pack afraid it would be loud and get in the way. He was still destroying the trees and chuckling.

I decided to give a cow call and a short bugle and he responded and gave it a bunch of base and just let it rip, still not a bugle, but his chuckles were getting a lot more aggressive.

I had to do a creek crossing and got wet up past my knees and when I got to the other side he was still there. 40 yards and in grass 6’ tall I felt like my only option was to slowly go in towards him. I never heard him bust out of there but he just slowly slipped up the hill.

Needless to say got my heart racing and my first encounter like that.

I’m pumped.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2021, 04:03:52 PM »
That’s awesome thank you for sharing that

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 11:15:16 AM »
That's a great write up and excellent attempt.  Exactly what you should've done.  Except maybe don't call when you're gettin in closer than 100 yards, just try to keep sneeking in if the bull is pre occupied with raking.  Good luck your on the right track!

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »
That's a great write up and excellent attempt.  Exactly what you should've done.  Except maybe don't call when you're gettin in closer than 100 yards, just try to keep sneeking in if the bull is pre occupied with raking.  Good luck your on the right track!

It’s hard to not want to call when getting a response from him, it was an absolute rush.

I thought it all took place over a 30-40 min period, but looking back at the time stamp on the video I took of him raking and when I got in close it was almost 2 hours.

I learned a lot from that though, I think my biggest takeaway from it was that with the bull raking prior to me doing anything I probably could have called a bit but I should have advanced I think much faster. I think he just got done destroying the tree and left, I don’t think he winded me or got nervous. I think I just moved in to slow.

Hoping he might be down in that meadow again Saturday morning and fired up and willing to step out and make a mistake. He was the first elk to sound off I’ve heard in that unit so I think they’re just starting to get going.

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2021, 07:01:12 PM »
I think you are correct. The one thing I would have done in your shoes, was press the worst thing that could have happened would have been the same outcome. I have 30 plus kills with a bow, more in total, and all I can say is press

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2021, 09:39:56 PM »
I think you are correct. The one thing I would have done in your shoes, was press the worst thing that could have happened would have been the same outcome. I have 30 plus kills with a bow, more in total, and all I can say is press

I listened to the elk but seminar on YouTube on the way home. Goodness it’s a must listen to I think, even if you don’t agree with his view on everything. There is a lot of info in there. One thing he talked about was how that bull was reacting and how I probably could of just come in with some cow calls and he’d have been more than happy to let me come up and shoot him.

Wife’s giving me Saturday morning if everything goes to plan. I hope to use the calling tactics I learned from that hour long video and ns yesterday to get it done. Just drives me crazy, I’ve got 4 bulls in the area on camera from this summer, a super solid 6x6 a 6x5 and some 5x5s and my gut tells me he wasn’t a spike. Wish I could upload videos.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 06:20:16 AM »
If the you tube was Paul aka elknut on this forum he also has a great playbook it’s called it has all kinds of different scenarios and what the bulls are saying and how to react to them it’s made to take into the field with you it’s great
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:56:59 AM by huntnfmly »

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2021, 06:42:40 AM »
If the you tube was Paul aka elk it on this forum he also has a great playbook it’s called it has all kinds of different scenarios and what the bulls are saying and how to react to them it’s made to take into the field with you it’s great

Yea it was seminar by Paul

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
If the you tube was Paul aka elk it on this forum he also has a great playbook it’s called it has all kinds of different scenarios and what the bulls are saying and how to react to them it’s made to take into the field with you it’s great

If you call him he will talk your ear off about different techniques just talking to him will get you pumped up

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2021, 10:34:26 AM »

I can only imagine. Watching his seminar had me pumped for Saturday.

If you call him he will talk your ear off about different techniques just talking to him will get you pumped up

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 11:48:07 AM »

I can only imagine. Watching his seminar had me pumped for Saturday.

👍

Offline SpurInSpokane

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Spokane Rifle Club, MDF, WBF
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2021, 07:31:07 PM »
Can you post a link to the seminar? Trying to get my hands on whatever I can!
Libertarian at the federal level,
Republican at the state level,
Democrat at the city level,
socialist at the family level.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2021, 09:36:44 PM »
He also has DVD’s

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2021, 09:29:40 AM »
Can you post a link to the seminar? Trying to get my hands on whatever I can!

Sorry I just saw this, we had a “almost” time
To go to the hospital day yesterday for the baby lol.

Here it is.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw