collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Success at the mouth of the Klick  (Read 2569 times)

Offline rudedawg1085

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Success at the mouth of the Klick
« on: September 14, 2021, 09:40:30 AM »
Thought id give a quick breakdown of our fishing trip we took recently. I cant count how many trips iv been out fishing and have came back empty handed, so its was nice to be on the receiving end of a very successful trip. We arrived late in the day on 9/11 and figured we have a few hours left of light so we might as well give it a shot and luckily enough we ended up with 2 decent kings in in about an hour to close out the day.

The morning of 9/12 I jokingly said we need to limit out with kings in about an hour so we can get back and watch the Hawks game. Well about 20 minutes into the troll fish on! reeled up a decent high teens, maybe low 20lbs king. About 20 minutes later my joke early in the day became reality when we landed another nice king in the low teens, and by 830 we decided to head back to the dock just in time to clean the boat and settle in to watch the opening kick off.

9/13...a crazy day for sure. We ran our into the middle of the river first thing in the morning that is about 90ish feet deep and rigged up our lines. I put my line in the water then put my girlfriends line in the water and said ok lets head towards the troll line which we were still ways away. We were fishing for MAYBE 10 seconds when I heard my line started screaming! almost like it was sucked into the prop. Obviously at first I think, Snag? then realizing, "oh yea I'm in 90 feet of water that cant be a snag!" I sat up, set the hook, and the fight was on!. About 20 minutes later a nice Columbia river monster was landed! I'm not the best judge of weights on fish but I'm not the worst either and it was easily in the high high 20's and figured it was at least 27-28 lbs, and who knows maybe even 30lbs. The fish checking at the dock measured it at 38 inches to the fork, but never got the girth to do a weight calculation. Well after that the wind started to pick up, and knowing we have a long trip back to the west side we decided we would fish for another hour and just head back home. Well as luck would have it 30 min later fish on! and into the boat was a nice 12ish lbs king. So in 3 days, about a total of 3 hours of fishing we ended up with 6 kings, which again is finally nice to not come home with an empty cooler for once!

Attached are the bigger ones of the bunch.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

Thomas Edison

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Success at the mouth of the Klick
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 09:49:40 AM »
Dandies!  Thanks for sharing and nice work.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 10:19:23 AM »
Beautiful fish! What were you fishing with. I’ve been to busy to get down yet but everyone is telling me it’s went to spinners with flashers. I know prawn spinners but these are the plain Simon and shortbus type spinners. So it’s very interesting that it’s changed so much. I’ve always been a plug guy and learning prawn spinners now another shift lol.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 10:19:54 AM »
Great trip and area, very nice catch !    :tup:

Offline rudedawg1085

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »
Beautiful fish! What were you fishing with. I’ve been to busy to get down yet but everyone is telling me it’s went to spinners with flashers. I know prawn spinners but these are the plain Simon and shortbus type spinners. So it’s very interesting that it’s changed so much. I’ve always been a plug guy and learning prawn spinners now another shift lol.

Red Simon Spinner caught 4 out of the 6, the other 2 were multiple colored Brands super bait. 30 inches behind chrome pro troll. Spinner seem to work best early AM especially when that sun hit

Thomas Edison

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
Saweeeet. Way to git r done. :tup:
I have Man Chit to do

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 12:00:24 PM »

Red Simon Spinner caught 4 out of the 6, the other 2 were multiple colored Brands super bait. 30 inches behind chrome pro troll. Spinner seem to work best early AM especially when that sun hit

Sweet. How long was you leader on the spinner setups?
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline rudedawg1085

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »

Sweet. How long was you leader on the spinner setups?

28-30 inches on both sets up, Spinner and Pro Troll, the more action on the short leaders made them snip quick

Thomas Edison

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 10:42:51 AM »
Thought id give a quick breakdown of our fishing trip we took recently. I cant count how many trips iv been out fishing and have came back empty handed, so its was nice to be on the receiving end of a very successful trip. We arrived late in the day on 9/11 and figured we have a few hours left of light so we might as well give it a shot and luckily enough we ended up with 2 decent kings in in about an hour to close out the day.

The morning of 9/12 I jokingly said we need to limit out with kings in about an hour so we can get back and watch the Hawks game. Well about 20 minutes into the troll fish on! reeled up a decent high teens, maybe low 20lbs king. About 20 minutes later my joke early in the day became reality when we landed another nice king in the low teens, and by 830 we decided to head back to the dock just in time to clean the boat and settle in to watch the opening kick off.

9/13...a crazy day for sure. We ran our into the middle of the river first thing in the morning that is about 90ish feet deep and rigged up our lines. I put my line in the water then put my girlfriends line in the water and said ok lets head towards the troll line which we were still ways away. We were fishing for MAYBE 10 seconds when I heard my line started screaming! almost like it was sucked into the prop. Obviously at first I think, Snag? then realizing, "oh yea I'm in 90 feet of water that cant be a snag!" I sat up, set the hook, and the fight was on!. About 20 minutes later a nice Columbia river monster was landed! I'm not the best judge of weights on fish but I'm not the worst either and it was easily in the high high 20's and figured it was at least 27-28 lbs, and who knows maybe even 30lbs. The fish checking at the dock measured it at 38 inches to the fork, but never got the girth to do a weight calculation. Well after that the wind started to pick up, and knowing we have a long trip back to the west side we decided we would fish for another hour and just head back home. Well as luck would have it 30 min later fish on! and into the boat was a nice 12ish lbs king. So in 3 days, about a total of 3 hours of fishing we ended up with 6 kings, which again is finally nice to not come home with an empty cooler for once!

You fishing in the Columbia at the mouth??  or in the klickatat??

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 04:22:31 PM »
Great fish!! Nice work.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »

Those pics are not in a tiny river 30 yards wide

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »

Those pics are not in a tiny river 30 yards wide
The OP does say the mouth of the Klick. Not much to figure out there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]