collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How Many Licensed Private Pilots here?  (Read 11964 times)

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
How Many Licensed Private Pilots here?
« on: September 14, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »
I have been interested in getting my private pilots license every since my Cousin got his and built a hangar in his yard. Who here has their pilots license, any of you own a plane? I have been looking a lot and think a Cessna 182 would be super sweet. Lets here from you guys, your experiences, advice.....doing lots and lots of homework. As much overtime as I have been working I could reasonably save enough to get into it providing I don't try and buy a $45k plane and spend $50K fixing it.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: How Many Licensed Private Pilots here?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:52:13 PM »
Tagging along, I'd also like to start working on mine at some point

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »
This is irrelevant, however, I have a buddy that flies nonstop.  One of our first flights was in a CESSNA 120, through the Wenaha.

I should have known when he asked me to push it out (by hand) out of the hangar.  The damn thing doesn't weigh much more than a pack of gum.  For god's sakes, the gas tank is in the wings.

A moth would take you down.  A moth!! If you hit a swallow, it's MAYDAY!

Never F-ING Again.

Carry on.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 02:02:59 PM »
Trent palmer has some pretty good videos and shares some of his buddies builds.

I am not a pilot but have family members that are. If i were so inclined i would likely get my license  first while exploring what kind of plane to get. Liability is huge and if your just flying your family for fun a DYI plane might be the right way to go.

Trenrs bush take off and landing videos are pretty damned cool also

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »
This is something i am looking to explore as well in the next few years.
i too am tagging along.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 02:07:13 PM »
I'd start with online ground school first, Sportys or king.

Buy your 182, get help buying it.

Hire a cfi with a ton of 182 hours from local area, ask around clubs and at airport

I'd avoid structured schools

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »
I flew for several years.

So much fun and I miss it.

I can say without a doubt it is the most dangerous thing I have ever done.  And I have been a very active mountain climber, rock climber,  ice climber, caver, cave diver, wreck diver, tech diver, ice diver, motorcycle rider, dangerous game hunter, and many other things I have probably forgotten.

I lost two flight instructors (one orhpaned her kids when she and her husband were killed in Mesa.   The other was single but the best pilot I had ever flown with), my dads rental plane was totaled, and then the replacement crashed too.  I had an engine quit at the end of a Minnesota to New Mexico cross country and a real close call in another plane not too long after that.  Another friend totaled his float plane and sank it during a landing

Not trying to talk you out of it-it really is amazing.  But go in eyes wide open to the risks.  If things go wrong while flying, you cant pull over to the shoulder and sort it out!  And there is Zero room for bravado- there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 05:49:53 PM »
Military trained, combat experienced helicopter pilot. Got my fixed wing ratings as I was getting out and went to a regional flying the E175 as first officer, then captain. Starting at a "legacy" airline next week, hoping to get the A320 to start.

Flying is fun and safe with the right planning, preparation and mindset of maturity, judgment and decision making. Always stay ahead of your plane. Always be thinking what's next... what's next... what's next. Always be thinking what if...

I went out to Lihue in Jan of 2020 and took a helicopter tour ride around the island. Beautiful! Even though I wasn't flying every time we crossed a ridge the helicopter pilot in me kept asking myself okay if we lost the engine (SE turbine) now we could autorotate down to there. Cross another ridge... we could make it down to there. Cross another... we could uh... hmmm... uh we'd be f'd.

Always think one or three steps ahead. Always think what if. Don't do anything stupid. Don't show off. Always plan ahead and use your maturity and good decision making to never put yourself in a bad position. Don't be afraid to turn around or end your flight early. Most accidents are a series of events leading up to the crash site, but sometimes all it takes is one bad call.

182s are good planes, a bit bigger, heavier, smoother and more comfortable than 172s. Also more powerful and faster. I like them a lot. Ideally start off on something smaller and work up to it. Shop around for a good school and instructor. How's their maintenance and safety record? Since I was in Colorado Springs at the time I got my fixed wing ratings at an Air Force aero club. Some of the instructors were pure civilian, others retired Air Force, and one I flew with was an F16 Thunderbird pilot, think he's in the Guard flying F15s now. In the year and a half, or so, that I was looking at and training there they didn't have a single accident or engine failure, and their planes flew a lot! They were on top of their maintenance all the time.

Take training seriously and study. A lot. Learn aeromedical factors and visual illusions. Don't over plan and over prepare to the point of it not being fun each time. Do your work, but know when to just say alright, let's go fly. And have fun!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:21:50 PM by Taco280AI »

Offline jeffro

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 06:43:14 PM »
I know and known several licensed pilots and love to fly.
I am capable of flying just about anything, just not licensed or rich enough to afford the hobby
The 2 who built kit planes are both no longer around…
One belly flopped in Idaho the other got wind sheered into the side of Mt Rainer
Stick to well built, proven airframes
Im partial to the Piper Cub, solid and reliable.
One shot. One kill!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »
Build a Breezy.  :)  I want to learn how to fly one of those!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline EmeraldBullet

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »
One of my best friends has his pilots license for planes, but not sure he can fly anymore because his eyesight is messed up. Both my father and brother are hot air balloon pilots so if youre interested in that at all I could hook you up with training to get your balloon license, but it isnt cheap

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 06:43:10 AM »
Very cool Taco280AI, hope you get the A320. I like the leg room configuration of the A320. United's 737 configuration is awful, my femurs do not fit in economy seats.

My brother flew ERJ145 for Express Jet/United before moving to a charter jet company. With United, he would wake up in Quebec City and -30 and be in Mexico on a beach at the end of the route that day. Now its pretty rare that he is out for more than a night or two. Good job being a pilot for sure, you sure see the country.

Getting a pilot's license is a great thing, very rewarding.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 06:59:13 AM »
My 17 year old is working on his license.  About 30 hrs so far.  Solo-ing and cross country.  More time in a plane than car.  Nerve racking seeing him leave the house in his car then flying over the house an hour later.  Proud of him, he pays for it from years of selling 4H steers. :chuckle:

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »
i have a private license, although haven't flown in some time. my 2 cents. get license and rent for a while. might just find you like a different plane. get experience with other pilots.
An old time instructor back when gave me some good advice as i was on my cross country trip [350 miles].
I called in to flight school after 1st leg and told him thunderstorms were rolling through.
He replied , '"remember, you would rather be on ground wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were on the ground." Good luck.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 10:06:27 AM »
My 17 year old is working on his license.  About 30 hrs so far.  Solo-ing and cross country.  More time in a plane than car.  Nerve racking seeing him leave the house in his car then flying over the house an hour later.  Proud of him, he pays for it from years of selling 4H steers. :chuckle:

That is really cool! Sounds like a great kid  :tup:

I got my private pilot's license years ago, it was a ton of fun but not a hobby I could afford to keep doing. I really miss it. I agree with @jackson7 to rent for awhile until you find the plane you really want. If I ever get back in to flying I want to go for my chopper license. No need for a runway! Good luck with your adventure, lots of good advice here...
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull