collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scope recommendation to extend range past 250 yards  (Read 5301 times)

Offline sterlryu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/christopher.kahn
Scope recommendation to extend range past 250 yards
« on: September 16, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »
I have a cheap $50 3x9-40mm scope on my 6.5 creedmoor rifle and with a 200 yard zero can shoot out to 250 yards MPBR on big game. But it doesn't have dots or an adjustable turret if I wanted to take a 300 or 400 yard shot. Is there a scope around $500 that I should look at that would work in more open eastern WA? I'll shoot 1.5" groups on an average day at 200 yards, so I can do my part.

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Scope recommendation to extend range past 250 yards
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »
You can get a Leupold VX freedom 3-9x with a cds dial for $300 or so.  That would let you dial out.  Not fool proof but a good start.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »
Or look at a Vortex or Athlon.

If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
too limited info to give a honest opinion.. 250yds is not really extended range.. how far out you going to use it? application - hunting/ target? price point? gun?
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 11:11:43 AM »
too limited info to give a honest opinion.. 250yds is not really extended range.. how far out you going to use it? application - hunting/ target? price point? gun?
he said in his post 400 yards with his 6.5 creedmoor and a budget of $500.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
Probably with that budget range is most all scopes that dial for that price point are proven unreliable trackers and returning to zero is often an issue. Put a vx freedom on a trucking board, start twisting the elevation turret and watch it hook like a bad golf ball hit. If I couldn't bump up my budget I'd look at scopes that have capped turrets and either moa, mil, or a bdc style reticle. Use the reticle to make accurate holds and eliminate the issue of unreliable tracking  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 11:31:44 AM »
Probably with that budget range is most all scopes that dial for that price point are proven unreliable trackers and returning to zero is often an issue. Put a vx freedom on a trucking board, start twisting the elevation turret and watch it hook like a bad golf ball hit. If I couldn't bump up my budget I'd look at scopes that have capped turrets and either moa, mil, or a bdc style reticle. Use the reticle to make accurate holds and eliminate the issue of unreliable tracking  :twocents:
:yeah: I would add to take a look at charts for your load, especially drop. I set my 100yd zero higher than most on my go to rifle. By doing that, it hits plus or minus 6in to 400yds with no adjustment.  :twocents:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline sterlryu

• Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/christopher.kahn
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »
Thank you everyone - really great inputs all around. I set the budget of $500 where scope would = cost of rifle and also because out of state tags etc hunting related expenses have been getting expensive. I guess moa/bdc dots and holding over would be foolproof, but it's a shame I can't really try out a vx freedom to check return to zero - could that be a warranty fix from Leupold though? But it would be a waste of time.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
Pretty much what has been said...dial a distance to 400 yds isn't necessary... BDC or Mil dot will work fine .
I put a vortex crossfire 2 with BDC reticle on my kids Creedmore and honestly couldn't be happier with it . It was like $300 and it's performed well for 4 years, out to distance in all types of weather.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »
Thank you everyone - really great inputs all around. I set the budget of $500 where scope would = cost of rifle and also because out of state tags etc hunting related expenses have been getting expensive. I guess moa/bdc dots and holding over would be foolproof, but it's a shame I can't really try out a vx freedom to check return to zero - could that be a warranty fix from Leupold though? But it would be a waste of time.
its just a product of cheap guts. Ive done tracking tests on half a dozen of them and they all start swinging right or left towards the bottom of their adjustments. Out to 400 you'd probably be fine but I wouldn't waste my money.

Swfa 3-9 has a killer track record for reliable tracking but they are $600 and at that point id be looking at a zeiss v4.  I still say a bdc or other hold over reticle would be the ticket.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 12:42:41 PM »
What are the better lower priced scope options with turrets?

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
I think Karl Blanchard is giving you good advice.

I would consider Burris Fullfield E1, IV or Signature and their choice of reticles is very complete.

Much better glass and construction than what you'd get from a Leupold under a grand.

I currently own four Burris scopes in addition to red dots and spotters...Great glass and you don't have to send them to Beaverton for replacement every few years.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »
What happened to the good old days ,when a 4x power scope was a 250 yard scope. :dunno: :dunno:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2021, 08:09:29 AM »
What happened to the good old days ,when a 4x power scope was a 250 yard scope. :dunno: :dunno:
:yeah: a 4x at 200 is like irons at 50.  hard to find any fault with that.

maybe it's just the kind of hunting i do, but my "long range" scope (on the .270) is a 3x9 meopta with a BDC reticle with marks to around 500 yards.  the rest of my usual rotation of hunting rifles have lower powered variables or fixed scopes(4x28 on my .250 savage, 1-5x20 on the .358, 6x36 on the 7x57).  All will get you to 300 yards with little trouble.  if i had a rifle that i did a lot of paper punching or small varmint hunting with, i would probably want a high powered scope...

i like leupolds for their weight, decent glass, and well, looks (30mm tubes and huge eyepieces are FUGLY), but i do understand their limitations.  i'm used to taking 3 or 4 shots after making an adjustment after zeroing one in to get the reticle to settle on their newer scopes, but the upside is that i've never had one move after that.  i don't touch the turrets when i'm in the field.

OK, off my soap box for now...
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline bman940

• Love to hunt and shoot,especially with my son who will be a 2nd LT USAF when he comissions 5/21
  • Tracker
  • pretty much retired, Oregonian for 33 years
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 08:40:32 AM »
Meopta Optika5 3-15x44 with a Z-Plus reticle would serve all your needs and leave money left over to buy a box or 2 of 6.5 CM ammo at today's insane prices. Dial in the drops with Strelok Pro and you are good to go. Great value and quality.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]