collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Over/Under or Pump  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Over/Under or Pump
« on: September 17, 2021, 08:42:29 AM »
I’m going to start upland game bird hunting. I’m curious what most people are using. Over and unders or pumps for Upland gamebird. Mainly chucker quail and huns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Over/Under or Pump
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:46:28 AM »
I think it’s personal preference. I like to use my pump Benelli supernova. I just really like the gun and it’s tough. Plus you get 3 shots instead of two.

Offline 10mmg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:48:59 AM »
For that stated purpose I would look for a light weight 20 gauge o/u with 28” barrels. Having choke flexibility is worth not having the 3 rd shot that is rarely needed in my opinion. Also I like #5 shot when i could run into anything from quail to pheasant. My browning super lite 20 is right at 5 pounds loaded. Makes is easier to trek over hill and dale

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 08:59:36 AM »
Not that I'm an expert but I use an 870 and I can't remember ever firing the third shot upland, and only a handful of times for ducks. If I were to buy a new shotgun I'd probably look over under.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »
As ugly as a pump is in the uplands, that is your best bet. Good chukar country will ruin any gun. Also, you will have days when the birds are scarce. Optimize your effort by having the extra shot for another bird. I routinely go through all three on a covey rise. Knowing it may be a few miles, or never, before finding more birds.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 09:37:55 AM »
Autoloader, pumping is hard work.

Offline Alex4200

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 10:00:35 AM »
Here are a couple of things people don’t think about when buying a shotgun for hunting. #1 - Fit is the most important thing. #2 - What type of dog are you hunting with. For a pointing dog I hunt with a open choke. And behind a flusher I like hunting with two different chokes.

Some other thoughts. When hunting ducks I like a pump gun. They will work in any weather or other nasty condition. But I don’t like pumps while hunting uplands because they can tend to rattle when walking.

I like autos for chukar and quail. Not because of the extra shell. Because I have had many a late riser come up during reloading even if I only fired once.

When hunting wild pheasants (not released ones at WDFW sites) silence is probably the most important thing to keep in mind. From sloshing water bottles to rattling dog collars and guns that make unnecessary noise like racking a shell in. This is where I prefer o/u or sxs.

But whatever you chose, always remember #1. Gun fit is the most important.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »
There have been so many times I was glad to have that third shot. My main upland quarry are chukar and valley quail, both can be tight holding birds and there have been many times that a late flushing bird has popped up after I've emptied a double. I have two sxs guns I love, especially for pheasant, but for covey birds I prefer a 3 shot gun. As for me, I hunt with ancient Model 12 nickel steel guns in 16ga. Built on a 20ga frame and very light weight. Sometimes I will use a vintage Remington Model 11 Sportsman in 20ga, also. I recently picked up a Mossberg 20ga Youth Turkey gun to use as a dedicated turkey gun, but since it's so light and short (5.5 lbs, 23" barrel) I bought an IC chole for it and I may try it for upland this season, just out of curiosity.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 10:15:35 AM »
I have never owned an O/U so it is very hard to compare.  I have always appreciated the Semi-auto and pump guns for the third shot, especially when targeting birds with coveys that typically allow you to shoot all three shots.  With that said....an O/U allows for a longer barrel or overall shorter gun due to the loss of the chamber.  Some of the O/U's are very light weight which would be great for humping chucker hills.  I also think an O/U has a certain nostalgia when hunting upland game. 

I would end with saying, there is no wrong answer.  Over time you will likely end up with both if you enjoy the sport.  Happy Hunting.   

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »
pump all day long...I have several and I actually prefer my youth 870 20 gauge for upland because it is so light to pack and hits what I point it at...usually  :rolleyes: With that said I would probably get a side by side or maybe an O/U just because I don't have either. However I do prefer a pump, but as has been stated, it is a personal choice.
Have fun and shoot straight  :tup:

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »
I've had an O/U since I was 11yo. I love that gun. I love handling most O/U's! But you're talking hard hiking in rocky stuff... Not the place for a pretty gun!

That said, they make ugly O/U's too!

Go someplace with lots of options and handle a few. You have to decide.

My son has kinda claimed my pretty PRETTY beretta from me, but if he was going off into the canyons after chuckar, I'd overrule him and make him take his Youth 870... even though he's bigger than me now! Light, fast, and who cares if it clatters down a rockslide! It'll still shoot, it's an 870!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 11:30:33 AM »
I like the O/U and S/S shotguns for upland.  I even use for waterfowl if I'm in a blind, sometimes.   I like the option of having a second choke as by the second shot the bird is farther away for that second shot typically so being able to have a second choke for longer distance is nice.   Plus I grew up using O/U and S/S shotguns for upland hunting, so just prefer to carry those.   I  use an old low cost Remington O/U for most of my hunting.   

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »
I am a 3 shot guy all day long. For me, the 2 choke advantage of a 2 barrel isn't worth not having a 3rd round ready to go for late flushing chukar and quail. Plus, I am somewhat new to upland, so still tend to whiff from time to time.

I mostly shoot autoloaders of which I shoot a Franchi and Benelli. But, I also have a few Ithaca Model 37 pumps that I love. All of these are fairly light and easy to carry all day.

As mentioned, you will slip, trip, and fall and bang up your gun chukar hunting, so consider this if your purchasing a new gun.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 01:10:43 PM »
Not that I'm an expert but I use an 870 and I can't remember ever firing the third shot upland, and only a handful of times for ducks. If I were to buy a new shotgun I'd probably look over under.

Yup.  I've hunted lots of upland birds with the 870.  Too heavy and slow for Huns, chukars, and ruffed grouse.  It's okay for blue grouse and pheasant imho.  I used a Browning White Lightning Citori O/U 20, and the difference is huge.  If you want to pile up birds, look for a good double that's light in weight.  20 is my favorite.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 01:13:09 PM »
Ya after thinking my girlfriends youth Benelli Nova 20 gauge would be really nice to carry all day

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal