collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Over/Under or Pump  (Read 7831 times)

Offline sawyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Over/Under or Pump
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »
For the last two years I used a 20 gauge 870 pump. This year i switched to a 20 gauge over and under. The over and under has been REMARKABLY better for grouse hunting. Its lighter, shorter and has a faster follow up shot.

Pumps are great, but grouse are fast and my over and under can be shot faster than my pumps. I'd recommend a over and under. I got the stevens 555

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
Go get one of each. I have all of them and use them all at different times.  Besides,  who doesn't want more guns in the safe?

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 10:59:10 AM »
Weight is important if you are covering ground, lighter, the better. I have a 20 gage o/u and is light as heck. I couldn't imagine carrying a pump. That being said, the third shot would be nice. If I were to do it again, I'd consider a 20 auto-loaDer, they make some slick, light set ups these days.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »
As others have said it depends on the hunting. I like a sxs, they swing nice for upland and having two different chokes is handy.

Chukar and quail do not always flush all at once so I can quickly reload two shells compared to a pump or auto loader.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 04:16:45 PM »
Pros and cons to all of them that is for sure.  My first when I was a kid was a Win. model 12 16ga. my dad gave me.  Sold that a long time ago and bought a Beretta AL2 12ga and had that ever since.  My dad was always and over/under guy.  Get something decent in any of the three types, go shoot the he11 out of it, and you'll have years of pleasure from it.

If beauty is what you're after, when it comes to firearms of any kind, to me, there is nothing sexier looking than a fine Over/Under.  Just something about them does it for me.  Kinda strange though because it's one of the few guns I've never personally owned.  Shot lots of them just never owned one.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:23:01 PM by b23 »

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »
I run all three depending on the situation. Upland I would carry an O/U and dump in two fresh shells ASAP. The O/U will give you choke flexibility as @10mmg said, and they tend to swing better. I've gotten a triple on geese shooting a SXS just load fast. Pumps are OK but overall length is longer which means heaver. Auto's are fine and not as heavy as pumps, actions are lighter but you still have the extra length. As @Alex4200 said "Gun fit is the most important" as a NRA certified Shotgun instructor I agree 100%. And for what it's worth, I prefer a 28ga for quail, grouse and pheasant.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 09:19:00 AM »
Have only used an O/U but I love my CZ Ultralight. Damn things only 6lbs, you can hardly tell your packing it. And its nothing fancy or engraved you have to worry about dirtying and dinging  climbing up chukar cover.

Offline lovetogrouse

• Tracker
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 09:47:05 AM »
I've been thinking about getting the ultralight. What gauge did you go with and how much did you get it for?

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2021, 10:12:47 AM »
I ended up getting a 12ga but more so due to availability. I initially wanted a 20ga but couldn't find one. Got one used for $700, from someone off this site actually.

Offline lovetogrouse

• Tracker
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 10:29:39 AM »
Good to know, thanks!

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 10:38:41 AM »
Weight is important if you are covering ground, lighter, the better. I have a 20 gage o/u and is light as heck. I couldn't imagine carrying a pump. That being said, the third shot would be nice. If I were to do it again, I'd consider a 20 auto-loaDer, they make some slick, light set ups these days.

This summer I purchased a dedicated turkey gun. It's a 20ga Mossberg youth turkey gun, a pump. The barrel is 22" and the gun is 5-1/4 lbs. It has spacers on the stock to extend LOP to 13", and I added a slip-on recoil pad for a little more. The gun is a scaled down version of the Model 500 designed to fit youth of adults of smaller stature. Since I'm only 5'7" it fits me really well. I hadn't planned on using this for anything but gobblers, but it's so light and handy I may try it in the chukar hills this season. As for it's aesthetics, it can't hold a candle to my old classic upland guns, but the pragmatist in me is wanting to give it a go. Eventually, it's going to wear a red dot for turkey, but this year I think I'm going to see how it works for upland.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
"Mainly chucker quail and huns"

Easy choice.  Ithaca 37 20 ga pump or BUL 20 ga semi auto 25 or 26 inch barrel.  I had a Beretta 626 that was an absolute thing of beauty, but the novelty wore off fairly quickly.  Light weight 20 ga repeaters are tops for covey birds.  Don't get anything with the safety in the front of the trigger guard, make sure the safety is located in the back of the trigger guard close to your other three fingers to help keep your finger warm when it is cold out.  Why anyone would put the safety out there where your trigger freezes is beyond me.   

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 04:51:50 PM »
Really like the two barrels for safety and function, you know that barrel is clear every time you open it and not many things to go wrong.  I would certainly go with the fit and feel advice first and for upland one you do not mind abusing, think chukars and basalt cliffs, makes sense.  I have a benelli nova that seems indestructible and will shoot any thing I stuff in it.  Good hunting!!!

Offline PaulM

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 02:08:30 PM »
I agree with 10mmg. I have the browning superlight as well but in a 12 gauge. I have 26 inch barrels. Swings fast and mounts fast. Also consider balance. This would be my choice for good upland gun.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2021, 08:01:42 AM »
I have an 870 that was my very first gun.  I haven’t carried it in about 10 years.  I only shoot O/U’s and SxS’s, and contrary to some opinions, there is no draw back. Having two chokes for covey birds works.  Unless you like destroying birds with your first shot, the 3rd shot is useless 95% of the time because you have to wait so you don’t destroy the birds, and when you wait, the 3rd shot is all but useless. With a choke that’s open, and one that’s tighter, you get a i high better pattern at various ranges, and you typically don’t have to wait on your first shot.   Doubles will be shorter for the same length barrel, typically balance better, and also swing better.  Don’t let anyone tell you balance and swing aren't important, they are.   Don’t waste your time with a pump, or especially an auto that will eventually jam.  Buy a good double that will go up in value, and have fun.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal