collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzy opener - where? Suggestions?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
Muzzy opener - where? Suggestions?
« on: September 20, 2021, 10:09:45 AM »
So originally I was not going to be able to hunt the opener so I was just gonna stick to my side of the mountains during the week when I have off, however the wife is headed out of town with her friend and the kids this coming weekend so I figured why not.

My knee-jerk is to hit the 250 - I'm already pretty familiar with the resident population over there... but as always, I'm longing to see new country and new adventures.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 215, 124(even if I have to buy a permit), 101 or hell even the methow valley somewhere.

Whitetail or Mule doesn't matter - actually if I had a preference I'd go whitetail just because I've yet to hunt them.

While putting something in the freezer would be awesome, I'm not even dying to do that. I have Friday-Sunday so my expectations are in line - I figure I'll get eyes on some new country(potentially) and if I have an encounter or two with legal animals that would be awesome. I have two deer tags to fill in Montana in November so, while filling my WA tag on something would be nice, again it's not a requirement. Seeing grouse or bear would be a definite bonus.

Even though I'm not asking for spots - just someone to tell me to stay where I know or see something new :chuckle: - if you would rather send a PM on the matter to prevent you from "hot spotting" an entire GMU, that's okay too.

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a wonderful opener.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Muzzy opener - where? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 10:25:47 AM »
Sounds like you can't really go wrong with your decision.  Good luck!

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 11:16:55 AM »
If I had a weekend, no expectation or need to fill the tag, I'd for sure be exploring new country. That's all I have to offer  :chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
If I had a weekend, no expectation or need to fill the tag, I'd for sure be exploring new country. That's all I have to offer  :chuckle:

Yeah that’s sorta where I’m at on it. I’ve been wanting to check out whitetail hunting so that’s probably the direction I’ll go. My requirements change slightly though - while I’m still not dying to fill the tag, having at least a couple of encounters would be nice, so an area with a high population is a must.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 11:31:38 AM »
I'm settling on 215.

Couple general questions - again feel free to PM:

1. Is there much of a resident mule deer population, or are they mostly migratory?
2. Are they more concentrated closer to the valley or further back in on FS land/closer to wilderness?

Thanks!

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 11:59:35 AM »
Harvest reports can give you an idea of what to expect for early muzzle.  I will be in a spot at or above 4500ft that holds both mules and whitetail.  Valley bottoms through out wt range saw significant blue tongue.  Thats why even if you want a wt, go higher than you may otherwise think you need.  We see wt up to and above 5k, and its usually big bucks youll find up in the mule woods displaying some mule habits.  My plan is to spend my days in the timber near water and wait on them to show up.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »
I can't help you with that area, know nothing about it. The only time I've been there was to fish Chopaka Lake. Saw a couple of deer by the lake and a bear while driving in. Good luck, enjoy your time in the woods!
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »
Harvest reports can give you an idea of what to expect for early muzzle.  I will be in a spot at or above 4500ft that holds both mules and whitetail.  Valley bottoms through out wt range saw significant blue tongue.  Thats why even if you want a wt, go higher than you may otherwise think you need.  We see wt up to and above 5k, and its usually big bucks youll find up in the mule woods displaying some mule habits.  My plan is to spend my days in the timber near water and wait on them to show up.

Thank you!

Yeah I was reading about the BT outbreak and its kinda shied me away from hunting them this year.

Should I focus my efforts closer - not necessarily lower - but closer distance-wise to the valley, or should I book it deeper into the mountains?

I can't help you with that area, know nothing about it. The only time I've been there was to fish Chopaka Lake. Saw a couple of deer by the lake and a bear while driving in. Good luck, enjoy your time in the woods!
Thank you. Worst case scenario I just see some great country - looking forward to it either way!

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 12:20:52 PM »
Do some onx and google earth, look for north facing with water, benches etc with elevations of 4k and up.  Dont be overly focused on the valley floor.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 12:40:16 PM »
Do some onx and google earth, look for north facing with water, benches etc with elevations of 4k and up.  Dont be overly focused on the valley floor.

Thank you buckfvr. If you’re up there this weekend and see a bearded guy in a silver F150 don’t hesitate to stop and say hi, or to ask for help if you get something down  :tup:

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 01:04:18 PM »
Deer around here are concentrated around what ever green they can find, and not far from water. Bucks of any size don't seem to be moving until 15-20 minutes from dark. Whitetails are definitely congregated around the hay fields. Haven't been up high much lately, but honestly didn't see much when I have gone up. Still very dry so goes without saying that you need to stay aware of anything that might start a fire.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 02:56:50 PM »
I will be farther east of 215 and west of 121, baldo, your assessment is correct as it applies to 121 but not at all true for other units.  Where theres water theres green stuff for them to eat, even up high.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]