collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mushroom hunting  (Read 7623 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Mushroom hunting
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »
Yep, like said above.  Found this huge cauliflower mushroom this weekend.  It was delicious.

One of my favorites. If you find another, you can separate the leaves and use them like lasagna noodles to make a keto lasagna. Also, covering with olive oil and garlic, roast at 425 for 15 minutes, it's delicious by itself.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 03:00:52 PM »
High buck consolation prizes: porcinis, cauliflower, chicken, chanterelles.  3-4000 feet on the wet side of the Cascades

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 03:19:19 PM »
High buck consolation prizes: porcinis, cauliflower, chicken, chanterelles.  3-4000 feet on the wet side of the Cascades

What are the lower right ones? I see those from time to time and thought they were wooly chants which I have read tend not to agree with most people.

Offline ganghis

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 03:38:08 PM »
Ha ha, good point!  I thought those were white chanterelles so picked them.  And ate a few bites but they were pretty bitter...  so maybe don't pick those ones  :chuckle:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 07:26:41 AM »

The white boletes look like queens - perfectly good. The other white fungi look like white coral, not cauli - also perfectly good to eat. Don't eat too much of the coral at one sitting. May cause deer-terrifying gas!
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ganghis

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 08:52:14 AM »

The white boletes look like queens - perfectly good. The other white fungi look like white coral, not cauli - also perfectly good to eat. Don't eat too much of the coral at one sitting. May cause deer-terrifying gas!

Thanks - I'm still learning, obviously! 

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 09:49:55 AM »
Cauliflower and corals can sometimes look very similar. I've been told the super pink reddish ones can give gastrointestinal issues. But usually cooking well will help that. Haven't tried the pink ones. These are the coral and cauliflower types. You can see that coral has little nodule tops on its branches while cauliflower is brainy looking and wavy on top.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 10:49:27 AM »

I have about 25 field guides. The one with the best pics is mentioned above - All That the Rain Promises and More by David Arora. Get it. It's great for PNW mushroom hunting.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 10:53:46 AM »

I have about 25 field guides. The one with the best pics is mentioned above - All That the Rain Promises and More by David Arora. Get it. It's great for PNW mushroom hunting.

I agree with Aroras book! It’s a must have for anyone getting into mushroom hunting. We have found over 20lbs of chanterelles this year and about 10lbs of chicken o da woods. A few lobsters and cauliflowers too. Best year for chicken of the woods I’ve seen in a while
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]