collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote Etiquette  (Read 6114 times)

Offline JRRJ2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Coyote Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 07:23:55 PM »
Thank you for the input and perspective everyone. I guess seeing the carcasses uneaten had me thinking. I completely understand for those protecting crops and livestock it makes sense. You have given me much to think about.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 09:23:37 PM »
Buzzards gotta eat

Same as worms

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 11:49:49 PM »
A summer coyote pelt isn’t worth the casing of the round that killed it.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »
A summer coyote pelt isn’t worth the casing of the round that killed it.
exactly, as already mentioned, we have a predator problem thanks to the anti hunting controlled WDFW and every predator that gets killed is like an act of community service. Bears, big cats, wolves population are growing exponentially while ungulate populations are plummeting or migrating to “safer” areas to get away from the wolves…. I kill every coyote I can.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 12:16:11 PM »
As others have said...if the pelt is prime, then skin, flesh, stretch, and tan it.  Otherwise, they lay where they land.  As far as trapping goes, I used to trap the heck out of them in the early '80's, and for some reason, there were a lot of deer around then too.  Now, with the whole "live trap" bs...well, I don't know how to convince a coyote walk into a cage.  Was hard enough just trying to make them put a front paw on the center of a pan, or run their head through a snare.  I know of nobody who puts up much coyote fur with a live trap.  Also, for some reason, the deer population isn't as high now as it once was.  I'm sure that's just a coincidence.
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 06:04:56 PM »
I have no issue shooting them where I see them & letting them lie where they land. If they’re nasty, the creepy crawlers living on them can transfer to you if you handle it, so keep that in mind.

Offline Windwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 09:57:16 PM »

Just shot one right before dark in the back pasture.
Have a pack that is getting too bold and figure its just a matter of time before they get into the chickens.

Heard 4 or 5 sound off as we headed out to hang trail cams. Ran in and grabbed the 204. Contemplated waiting until their fur gets better but when this one came out of the woods it looked mangy.
Both sides and tail was missing most of its hair. Sides of its face also. One of the nastiest smelling ones Ive seen…or smelled anyway.

I prefer waiting until winter and the ability to utilize the hides.
If they appear to be a source of mange its going to die as fast as I can get the crosshairs on em.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2021, 02:59:50 PM »
Coyote etiquette: If one gives you a clear shot you shoot it. That's the law of the land!  :dunno:

:yeah: I dont like wasting the hide but summer time coyote fur is worthless.   I also trap and will definitely save all good hides and they will start getting good later this month. Prices have been better recently. I don't like to waste them but and old rancher told me a long time ago if I shot every coyote I had a chance at the population might stay even. I think he was right. You don't want an over population of coyotes so taking them at any opportunity  is a good idea. Its like community service for the deer community  :chuckle:   

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »
Coyote etiquette: If one gives you a clear shot you shoot it. That's the law of the land!  :dunno:

:yeah:

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2021, 04:14:08 PM »
I’ve only shot 6 off of the cow carcass in a couple of weeks. Not a one of the dead yotes are still where I killed them. Lots of critters feasting on beef and dog. 🤣

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal