collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chainsaw help  (Read 6632 times)

Offline AROTTY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
Chainsaw help
« on: September 25, 2021, 11:41:23 PM »
Recently my father and I purchased a property in klickitat county. Unfortunately our Ponderosa Pines have been hit hard by beetles and I’m going to need to fell 18-20 trees of up to 30 inches in diameter with the average being 20 in. I have a Stihl 025 that runs well currently but it’s not suited for the amount of work I have in front of me. Need some recommendations. From my research I think I need a saw that is at least 60cc, 20-30 inch bar, and not super heavy. Been looking at used Stihl 044s. What other recommendations do ya feller’s have? :chuckle: Budget is 1k or less.

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Chainsaw help
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 04:15:21 AM »
Recently my father and I purchased a property in klickitat county. Unfortunately our Ponderosa Pines have been hit hard by beetles and I’m going to need to fell 18-20 trees of up to 30 inches in diameter with the average being 20 in. I have a Stihl 025 that runs well currently but it’s not suited for the amount of work I have in front of me. Need some recommendations. From my research I think I need a saw that is at least 60cc, 20-30 inch bar, and not super heavy. Been looking at used Stihl 044s. What other recommendations do ya feller’s have? :chuckle: Budget is 1k or less.
I've been running 044 for over 12 years,just for firewood or whatever ,bought brand new, run it a little rich,guess we will see but that saw might out live me.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 05:52:05 AM »
Can’t go wrong with a 044/440. Some of the newer saws are awesome as well but you’ll pay dearly for them.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 06:18:19 AM »
 :yeah:
The older saws are better than the new emission saws.  I can't remember what year Stihl and the rest started changing stuff.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 06:42:01 AM »
My MS390 has served me well for I can't remember how long and has cut anything I put it up to, think widest was close to or over 40 inches in diameter and used to cut between 7 and 10 cords a year.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 07:10:53 AM »
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 07:24:53 AM »
If you can find an 044 for a decent price, they are worth it. Finding parts on the other hand has been brutal. Buying new I’d look at the 362 with a full bar wrap and 25” bar. 362 would treat you well especially if there is thinning you want to do and not falling lots of bigger trees. I use / 362 while doing thinning and leave the 044 for bigger stuff. 391s aren’t bad at all either.

You mentioned beetle problem, you’ll want to be proactive about it and if you have pine saplings, I’d recommend thinning them out to at least a 10 foot bole spacing and go through and leave the best looking ones. Pile it and burn it or there may be chipping programs still in WA.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 08:37:39 AM »
My 044 has been running strong for over 20 years and is my main falling saw.  It usually has a 28" bar on it, but it can work a 32" if needed in softwoods.  I also have an 028 that has a 20" bar on it for smaller stuff.  The 044 comes in handy for me while bucking too, as I'm 6' 5" tall, and can use the longer bar so I don't have to bend over as far.  :)

If you can find a used 044 or 046 in good shape, snag it.  You'll be glad you did.
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Dale Gribble

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 09:01:55 AM »
Agreed to all the above statements, the 044 is probably one of the more versatile saws out there. I’ve had mine since new and regularly do 10 cords a year with it, used to be 20/year. The older ones with a 10mm wrist pins will run forever, if I were to come across one I’d buy it no questions asked no matter the shape. You can tell the difference by the choke lever being red vs black and the fins on the jug will be at a 45* angle rather than upright. Mine is a 12mm but it has since gone through a rebuild with a port and polished big bore kit, dual port muffler, and a filter mod, she rips through anything I’ve put it up too. To the OP, you’d have no problem on your place using an 044

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 09:07:37 AM »
If you can find an 044 for a decent price, they are worth it. Finding parts on the other hand has been brutal. Buying new I’d look at the 362 with a full bar wrap and 25” bar. 362 would treat you well especially if there is thinning you want to do and not falling lots of bigger trees. I use / 362 while doing thinning and leave the 044 for bigger stuff. 391s aren’t bad at all either.

You mentioned beetle problem, you’ll want to be proactive about it and if you have pine saplings, I’d recommend thinning them out to at least a 10 foot bole spacing and go through and leave the best looking ones. Pile it and burn it or there may be chipping programs still in WA.
362 with 28'' bar is what i use and would be a perfect saw for what the posters looking.  :twocents:

Offline AROTTY

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 04:43:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help! I’ve been stacking burn piles and will begin as soon as the ban is lifted. Does anyone have experience with the pheromone treatments?

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 04:51:02 PM »
I’ve got the 362 with feller handle it’s a great saw
Go hawks

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 06:47:25 PM »
Can’t go wrong with a MS461 bought mine from madsens and could t be happier. I’m stock they have a ton of power and are just a solid saw. I had mine ported and polished and a west coast saw pipe and she rips. It’s a life saver to buy a saw that’s a size up or to than what you think you need and it’s easier on you and and the saw.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 11:43:41 AM »
MS 461/462. Then just buy a 26" & 32" bar.

Offline AROTTY

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2021, 09:46:21 PM »
Wanted to give an update. Came across a screaming deal on a 362 with the wrap, 25 inch bar and m-tronic. So far it’s been great and I’ve been running her hard every weekend. With the amount of timber I have down, I’ve been saving some choice logs to do some milling. Now I’m looking for a 660 or bigger to run a mill. Almost got a pioneer p62 but it got sold when I was on the way to get it.  :sry:Anyone have milling tips they can share?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal