collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seeking Hunting Partner Rifle Deer Eastern WA  (Read 2864 times)

Offline tself9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Seeking Hunting Partner Rifle Deer Eastern WA
« on: September 27, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »
Hello All,
My partner for a planned rifle deer trip in eastern Washington is being non-committal right now. I've set aside 10/15 to 10/21 for the season and I was looking at a backcountry trip to the Okanogan-ish area.  I could also be open to parking somewhere, camping next to the car, and hiking in each day, but I'm not sure that would get us far enough from other hunters.

I also have 49 acres south of Kettle Falls.  I could car-camp there and hunt public lands and timberlands within a couple of miles, but it looks like some pretty thick and steep hikes in to get to good glassing spots over there, and even then, the glassing spots don't look ideal.  Steep doesn't bother me much, but thick does, hence my attraction to eastern Washington in general.  Regardless, this option is not off the table.

I've only seriously bow-hunted so far, and only for 3 years.  I've yet to get an animal but this year I really stepped up my spot and stalk game and I was within 10-50 yards of legal deer all 5 days of my trip.  I came to full draw several times as well but just couldn't get the mostly broadside shot I wanted before spooking them.  Anyway, I've got the multi-season deer permit, my .308 shot is solid up to 300 yds., and I really want to get my first hunted meat in the freezer this year.

I'm geared for backcountry but haven't had a full-on backcountry trip yet.  I've skinned, gutted, and quartered several lambs (from farms) and one deer (I hit with my SUV :/ last year), so I have plenty of experience there.

I'm 41 years old, fit, and I live in Edmonds, WA. 

Let me know if you're interested and we can talk more as I await my partner's final answer.

Offline tself9

• Pilgrim
Re: Seeking Hunting Partner Rifle Deer Eastern WA
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 01:11:19 PM »
P.S. I'd take a sure thing at this point as long as we seem like a good match.  My partner knows that he needs to commit or deal with the possibility that I find someone else who will.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 07:04:18 AM »
""I also have 49 acres south of Kettle Falls.  I could car-camp there and hunt public lands and timberlands within a couple of miles, but it looks like some pretty thick and steep hikes in to get to good glassing spots over there, and even then, the glassing spots don't look ideal.  Steep doesn't bother me much, but thick does, hence my attraction to eastern Washington in general.""

Don't hunt deer any more but have a few thoughts to pass along. I've hunted deer north of Kettle Falls and those 49 acres might work for you. If you have alfalfa fields below, the bucks will be in them feeding at night and will head uphill to bed down for the day. You need to be up as high as you can get and into as open an area as you can find before daylight. Then just set up your ambush spot and wait. I'd also suggest getting a squirt bottle of white tail doe estrus scent and squirting it on your boots and their soles. As you walk uphill, squeeze a few drops out every 50-100 feet......this should be pre-rut but I shot a nice buck this way on public land a while back on opening day. I even used blacktail doe estrus. This was probably around 8:00 AM, the sun had been up for some time but the buck came into the open without much caution and looking for business.

Offline tself9

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 08:15:28 AM »
""I also have 49 acres south of Kettle Falls.  I could car-camp there and hunt public lands and timberlands within a couple of miles, but it looks like some pretty thick and steep hikes in to get to good glassing spots over there, and even then, the glassing spots don't look ideal.  Steep doesn't bother me much, but thick does, hence my attraction to eastern Washington in general.""

Don't hunt deer any more but have a few thoughts to pass along. I've hunted deer north of Kettle Falls and those 49 acres might work for you. If you have alfalfa fields below, the bucks will be in them feeding at night and will head uphill to bed down for the day. You need to be up as high as you can get and into as open an area as you can find before daylight. Then just set up your ambush spot and wait. I'd also suggest getting a squirt bottle of white tail doe estrus scent and squirting it on your boots and their soles. As you walk uphill, squeeze a few drops out every 50-100 feet......this should be pre-rut but I shot a nice buck this way on public land a while back on opening day. I even used blacktail doe estrus. This was probably around 8:00 AM, the sun had been up for some time but the buck came into the open without much caution and looking for business.

thanks for the intel. 🙏

Offline egranning

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 09:08:13 PM »
Just saw your post and sent a direct message.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal