collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Adrenaline Rush Experience  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
Adrenaline Rush Experience
« on: September 27, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
I have been working on going super slow in the woods, as a hunter explained this is the best way to see things. I was walking into the wind. Taking 1 step every couple of minutes. When off to my left I hear some noise and see some smaller alders push aside and the high grass parting as whatever it is was coming to me. I stopped and raised my muzzleloader, it heard me and stopped and grunted. I didn’t move for 20 minutes. It was easily 12 inches from pushing the grass open. And 5 yards from me, when I saw the grass start slowly close and heard whatever it was slowly walk away. Never had an experience like that. Definitely startled me. My buddy thinks it was a bear, what do you all think?

Offline Caseknife

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
Re: Adrenaline Rush Experience
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 04:49:44 PM »
Easily could have been a bear.  Hear any teeth gnashing or popping?  Still hunting into the wind is the way to go as long as you are in the proper habitat for your quarry.  And carry your weapon in your hands, not slung over your shoulder.  When you get within 5 yards of a wild animal, you are doing something right.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 05:36:08 PM »
Biggie  :dunno:  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »
Easily could have been a bear.  Hear any teeth gnashing or popping?  Still hunting into the wind is the way to go as long as you are in the proper habitat for your quarry.  And carry your weapon in your hands, not slung over your shoulder.  When you get within 5 yards of a wild animal, you are doing something right.

It wasn’t being quiet, I heard low growling. I aimed my muzzleloader and that sound made it stop. When it stopped it knew it heard something but just waited silently I assume for me to make more noise. Then when I didn’t it just backed out fairly quiet I heard it step on a leaf near me. No deer snort, so I was pretty sure it wasn’t a deer. All I know is, had I not panic moved my gun I might have seen it. Earlier I had seen the butt of a bear leaving but it looked like a cub for the few seconds I saw it. My goal was not to bust any animals. And if I got a chance to harvest something I would have.

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 07:10:30 PM »
I think you experienced what most of us addicted hunters strive for! Close encounters with wild animals in God's country! Right on man :tup:

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 07:36:42 PM »
I had two of those adrenaline type experiences this year.  While archery elk hunting in Oregon, I got within 60 yards of a pack of wolves feeding on a fresh elk kill.  The second was being 15 feet from a Lynx that snuck up on me while I was sitting on some elk beds.  It stared at me for about 20 seconds and slowly walked away.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 08:45:29 PM »
I think you experienced what most of us addicted hunters strive for! Close encounters with wild animals in God's country! Right on man :tup:

Definitely a memory I will never forget, having had that experience. Was the highlight of the weekend. I went from almost never seeing animals. To having this experience and also watching a marten murder chipmunks near me when I was in a blind and never knew I was there. While I failed to fill a tag I feel like I just leveled up in the hunting world.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 08:46:59 PM »
I had two of those adrenaline type experiences this year.  While archery elk hunting in Oregon, I got within 60 yards of a pack of wolves feeding on a fresh elk kill.  The second was being 15 feet from a Lynx that snuck up on me while I was sitting on some elk beds.  It stared at me for about 20 seconds and slowly walked away.

That would be a cool experience for sure. This year I have seen more animals then I have in the last 4 years of hunting. And the only real change is slowing down more.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »
Sounds like a bear. This is why I carry a predator call around my neck when I still have a bear tag. You probably could have called it in even though you spooked it.

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
Sounds like you cracked through the hunting wall and are reaping the rewards. Good to see you are still getting at it. Good luck, lots of good hunting still to come.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Fatherof5

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »
Several years ago I was hunting whitetail in the late archery season. I was still-hunting through tall weeds along a creek bottom and I had spotted a couple does ahead of me. The setup was perfect. It was around 19 degrees, wind in my face and the deer were filling their bellies. I stopped and pulled out my rangefinder to get the distance. Still out of my comfort zone. I took one step and a ring neck pheasant flushed out of that tall grass about 10 feet to my right! Scared me so bad I yelled and spooked the deer.  :chuckle: :chuckle: Its funny now but man my heart was racing!

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 02:12:55 PM »
Sounds like you cracked through the hunting wall and are reaping the rewards. Good to see you are still getting at it. Good luck, lots of good hunting still to come.

That’s what I am hoping, didn’t see any deer that day but definitely saw a bear butt moving through the woods unaware of my presence. Hoping I finally get a deer this year.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 02:14:19 PM »
Several years ago I was hunting whitetail in the late archery season. I was still-hunting through tall weeds along a creek bottom and I had spotted a couple does ahead of me. The setup was perfect. It was around 19 degrees, wind in my face and the deer were filling their bellies. I stopped and pulled out my rangefinder to get the distance. Still out of my comfort zone. I took one step and a ring neck pheasant flushed out of that tall grass about 10 feet to my right! Scared me so bad I yelled and spooked the deer.  :chuckle: :chuckle: Its funny now but man my heart was racing!

At least you didn’t poop yourself ;), grouse have spooked me like that once or twice because you aren’t focused on them lol. Then they go BOOM, and scare you as they flap off.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]