collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long Shot Ask: 2nd Deer antlerless Washtucna Tag *UPDATED*  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Sundance

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Long Shot Ask: 2nd Deer antlerless Washtucna Tag *UPDATED*
« on: September 29, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »
Big ask and I am open to suggestions. I drew the 2nd Deer rifle tag for Washtucna (GMU's 139/142/284/381) which is a mule deer doe only. I have several private owners lined up that I am going to head over and speak with before the season along with public lands to check out. I do have a rifle deer tag, but I drew a Buck Deer hunt for whitetail and don't have any interest at this time in shooting a muley buck. I put in for this tag because it's an eastern WA hunt with open terrain and less nasty weather. I will be taking my two sons, age 7 and 5 with me (non hunting) to have their first big game hunting experience. Normally I hunt western WA, but my hunting style along with the weather isn't conducive to young hunters and seeing a lot of animals.

I don't see myself making this a tough hunt. I'm looking to get my boys out in the field, see some animals, and if the stars align taking a doe with them there. Success on this hunt for me isn't filling a tag, but a positive experience with my sons in the field. I imagine we will do a lot of driving, glassing, and sitting over areas for an ambush. Any advice on where to go, people to ask or other helpful information is greatly appreciated. I can meet in-person in the next week when I drive over there to scout, or if you'd like to PM me we can exchange phone numbers. Thanks for any help and I hope everyone has a successful season.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:44:54 PM by Sundance »

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Long Shot Ask: 2nd Deer antlerless Washtucna Tag
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
don't forget to take a rifle for coyotes, a shotgun for birds (quail, pheasants, huns)...and lots of snacks! One thing I did with my boys was take along dry firewood and stop for lunch, make a fire, cook hotdogs and marshmallows and hot cocoa...(of course for the fire, make sure it's on public land...farmers might not like the idea of it, even in the late season).

Good luck and most of all have fun!

Grade

PS. I have no idea on private land owners, but hopefully there is enough public land to hunt!
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline johnbmyersii

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 12:24:12 PM »
WDFW does a reserve to hunt private land program that could be worth looking into. Have a great time I love the palouse

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 12:33:30 PM »
PM sent
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Sundance

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 02:26:17 PM »
WDFW does a reserve to hunt private land program that could be worth looking into. Have a great time I love the palouse

I’ve looked at a lot of those “reservation to hunt” spots out by Colfax/Pullman area. From what I remember there were more whitetail out there than mule deer. Would you suggest certain areas to stay away from since it’s a mule deer doe tag?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 08:05:58 PM by Sundance »

Offline bustedoldman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
  • TEAM Potbelly Stallions
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 06:27:17 PM »
All the BLM/state land hold does pretty much….When time rolls around PM and I’ll send you several spots.

Offline Sundance

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 08:02:21 PM »
All the BLM/state land hold does pretty much….When time rolls around PM and I’ll send you several spots.

Thank you for the offer, I will reach out before I head that way. Many thanks

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 08:21:30 PM »

I’ve looked at a lot of those “reservation to hunt” spots out by Colfax/Pullman area. From what I remember there were more whitetail out there than mule deer. Would you suggest certain areas to stay away from since it’s a mule deer doe tag?
North of 26 Id say stay west of Dusty. South of 26 gets pretty whitey past dusty but you've still got primarily mule deer all along the snake river breaks clear to idaho
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Nwgunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Sportsmans Alliance
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 08:31:37 PM »
I got a spot with lots of animals 30 minute east of tri cities.  Problem is its like a half mile hike form the parking area and up a small hill to the wdfw property.  I see deer everyday while hunting, mostly does.  I can share it with you if you like, but this area is getting more and more popular thanks to onx.  Its for your boys and i respect that, and can get you to a good spot, not for your buddys. 

Offline Sundance

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 09:25:54 PM »

North of 26 Id say stay west of Dusty. South of 26 gets pretty whitey past dusty but you've still got primarily mule deer all along the snake river breaks clear to idaho

Thank you Karl, this is very helpful.

Offline Sundance

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 09:28:57 PM »
I got a spot with lots of animals 30 minute east of tri cities.  Problem is its like a half mile hike form the parking area and up a small hill to the wdfw property.  I see deer everyday while hunting, mostly does.  I can share it with you if you like, but this area is getting more and more popular thanks to onx.  Its for your boys and i respect that, and can get you to a good spot, not for your buddys.

Thank you for the offer, it’s a one-time deal since I’m usually a blacktail junkie. I can respect wanting to keep a good spot under your hat, I’ve had some elk and deer spots get blown up in the past. I will reach out to you when I head that way to scout, again I appreciate all the help.

Offline Sundance

• Scout
Re: Long Shot Ask: 2nd Deer antlerless Washtucna Tag *UPDATED*
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 07:55:11 PM »
I just wanted to update everyone that contributed to this thread and sent me PM’s. Unfortunately I did not get to hunt this tag as I have been wrapping up my quarantine from a positive Covid-19 test. Found out the day before the opener and I’ve been laying low ever since. Health wise, the family and I are ok and I’m just fighting fatigue. Thanks again to everyone who reached out with advice and offers to help, I wish I could have put it to use.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]