collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana Deer  (Read 41289 times)

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Montana Deer
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2021, 05:36:27 PM »
I have to admit, we saw very few deer on public land during our trip, but also seen massive amount of deer on private property, more than i have ever seen anyplace. On one reip.back to town (Roundup) we seen well over 300 deer in the AG fields out side of town.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Goose74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2021, 06:14:24 PM »
What’s changed is the speed and availability of information on the bma’s and other public land, the internet and go hunt et al explaining every detail, Montana resident population booming, onx revealing all the public blocks big and small, everyone yacking about it to their buddies when they get home, podcasts and videos hyping it up detailing areas and habitats, most the good private (most of which is leased or family/friends only) being refugia for the herd, and a severe drought that further pushed animals into said prime habitat.  The resource can’t sustain a 5 week rifle rut hunt with long range rifles, spotters, and cell phones.  Still decent opportunity, especially for those used to hunting in Washington, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and every other state you see represented over there.  But to those that have been going for more than a few years, the writing is on the wall as the decline is very apparent.  Be sure to watch all this years u tube videos  on people whacking animals, high fivin, making their buck and getting free swag off the back of the resource.  We are our own worst enemy.  In a few years when you can’t draw a tag, please don’t complain.  Rant over

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2021, 09:48:44 PM »
I've been going over there for around 15 years, and this year was off the charts bad compared to the past.  I cant imagine the frustration the locals must have with so many moving there, combined with Nonresidents hunting.  It would be safe to say that the majority of people moving there hunt and fish, that's a big part of wanting the "Montana" lifestyle. So you combine those new "resident" hunters combined with the Nonresidents tags sold, that's a ton of new hunters. And new hunters add pressure to public land because they probably dont have an "in" with private property. All of that added to people bragging and not shutting their mouths when they discover success, and you get a tornado that was this season.  It actually made me feel a little guilty driving around with Washington plates. We even came home with our doe tags just cuz we didnt want to do more damage than there already was.  Doesn't look good for the future
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:56:58 PM by furbearer365 »

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »
Plain and simple fact of the matter, their gonna have to “pick a weapon”, stop the cheap “Montana native tags”, for starters…
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2021, 10:53:21 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2021, 11:52:07 PM »
Plain and simple fact of the matter, their gonna have to “pick a weapon”, stop the cheap “Montana native tags”, for starters…
. Agree!  Your either a resident or your not.  Steep non-resident license tag cost increases will be next.  Massive increase in interest and applicants along with massive heavy inflation is an equation for non-res tag cost increases. And I believe they will be substantial.  Might cut non-res quota and increase tag costs and not loose any revenue.
Zonk Volmer

Offline kramman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2021, 03:54:17 AM »
I was in 705. Been going there off and on for 20 yrs. This year the deer herd was way down compared to last time I was there.  Along with the amount of doe tags available for that area, and the amount of hunting pressure that we saw, it may be awhile before it bounces back.Let's just hope there is a mild winter for the s.e. region. If the winter is hard, it'll be many years before the herd recovers. Cut out doe tags for a couple yrs and a few mild winters and some rain, the herd will return. Even though it is my opinion that they should limit the amount of hunters per unit, maybe even by series, like all 700 units that may help.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:28:59 AM by kramman »

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2021, 05:07:40 AM »

You mean stop the non resident native tags and come home to hunt tags? What does that fix? Those are meant to keep family hunting camps and traditions alive and a lot of those hunters do have access to private family property and don’t add pressure to public. Getting rid of those tags to sell to other non residents just makes Montana more money it doesn’t help the deer or crowding. full disclosure My wife and I can get them but I have not bought one recently because my son and I have to go at random times and it’s hard to plan around other family. We also hunt a different place than family still living in Montana these days. I can see your point with some form of choosing a weapon but most non resident hunters go over once for rifle season already but it would spread out all the new resident hunters. For mule deer they should probably go with a shorter season ending 11-1? and draw for late season. I would personally hate that but it would really help the mule deer, I think the whitetail will bounce back quickly .I grew up in Montana hunting in the 80’s to early 90’s and it’s unreal how much it has changed but the regulations are exactly the same today as they were then. Montana does probably have some painful changes to make unfortunately but getting rid of non resident native tags is not one of them. That just seems like jealousy that someone born in the right state gets a better deal 😂😂 All the better western states have issues right now the first being WAY too many NEW RESIDENTS. The second is social media promoting western hunting and making it the thing to do. Now everyone from the Midwest and east want to hunt out west. Not a problem for the state but a problem in getting a tag

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2021, 05:20:54 AM »
. Agree!  Your either a resident or your not.  Steep non-resident license tag cost increases will be next.  Massive increase in interest and applicants along with massive heavy inflation is an equation for non-res tag cost increases. And I believe they will be substantial.  Might cut non-res quota and increase tag costs and not loose any revenue.

Should we also stop landowner deer tags? Or just the special tags you can’t get? The non resident native tags have a good purpose of keeping family hunting camps and traditions going. Or should Montana get rid of all those to sell to the flat bill army guys who just researched Montana on go hunt and it’s 1 of 10 states he puts in for because it’s on his “radar” now? I would rather have family continue to hunt together.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2021, 05:49:12 AM »

You mean stop the non resident native tags and come home to hunt tags? What does that fix? Those are meant to keep family hunting camps and traditions alive and a lot of those hunters do have access to private family property and don’t add pressure to public. Getting rid of those tags to sell to other non residents just makes Montana more money it doesn’t help the deer or crowding. full disclosure My wife and I can get them but I have not bought one recently because my son and I have to go at random times and it’s hard to plan around other family. We also hunt a different place than family still living in Montana these days. I can see your point with some form of choosing a weapon but most non resident hunters go over once for rifle season already but it would spread out all the new resident hunters. For mule deer they should probably go with a shorter season ending 11-1? and draw for late season. I would personally hate that but it would really help the mule deer, I think the whitetail will bounce back quickly .I grew up in Montana hunting in the 80’s to early 90’s and it’s unreal how much it has changed but the regulations are exactly the same today as they were then. Montana does probably have some painful changes to make unfortunately but getting rid of non resident native tags is not one of them. That just seems like jealousy that someone born in the right state gets a better deal 😂😂 All the better western states have issues right now the first being WAY too many NEW RESIDENTS. The second is social media promoting western hunting and making it the thing to do. Now everyone from the Midwest and east want to hunt out west. Not a problem for the state but a problem in getting a tag

1 word; Kansas and the Dakotas

Sleeper states, only 50’ of elevation gain across two states and mule deer a plenty.

:chuckle:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:35 AM »

Sleeper states, only 50’ of elevation gain across two states and mule deer a plenty.

They are on my radar now! 😂

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »

They are on my radar now! 😂

Just tend your own and live.

Offline cougfan79

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2021, 11:14:31 AM »
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a new law signed this year to benefit outfitters?  As a result of the law the state created a 1 time only addition of 3000 nonresident tags for the 2021 season.  Could be why so many nonresident vehicles were spotted.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2021, 11:18:51 AM »
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a new law signed this year to benefit outfitters?  As a result of the law the state created a 1 time only addition of 3000 nonresident tags for the 2021 season.  Could be why so many nonresident vehicles were spotted.

I forgot about that but I think You are correct. I believe they also will give 2 preference points to guided hunters where diy hunters only get 1 per year. Will be even tougher to draw especially with you guys posting all these nice bucks!!! 😂

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2021, 11:23:36 AM »
I’ve never seen so many posts on MT deer hunting than I have this year, it is now on my research list. But it also sounds like I’m a few years too late and drawing tags in the future might get pretty tough. Love/hate, mostly hate what the internet has done to hunting.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal