collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Home Improvements/Replacement windows - Don't fall for the hype  (Read 5119 times)

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Home Improvements/Replacement windows - Don't fall for the hype
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 10:58:24 AM »
Hey, pianoman.....correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you upgrade the double-pane-aluminum-framed windows in a 40-year-old house with vinyl, you basically could re-coup the cost when you sold the house.

If you're talking about an energy improvement tax credit, I believe you're correct. But I'm not a tax advisor, so you should ask your accountant or give the IRS a call.

No, I'm just basically talking about spending say, $18,000, for vinyl replacement windows.  When the time comes to sell the house, it will be worth around $18k more than it would have been with the old aluminum-framed windows.  Or so I've been told...................

If you're thinking about selling consider a couple of things. First, if the house passes inspection without the replacements, you save the $18K by not replacing. Secondly, improvements rarely raise the value of the home enough to cover their cost. Lastly, especially in a seller's market, you can take your highest bid (which lately has been 10-15% over asking) and if the inspection shows replacement is necessary, you can negotiate the value with the buyer as a seller concession. They want the house. if the estimate on the windows is $18K, they're likely to take far less as a seller concession. Remember that unless the windows are visibly damaged, the appraisal is unlikely to be affected. And, the lender cares about the appraisal and normally doesn't require a home inspection. Inspections are for the buyer's benefit and peace of mind.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 10:59:11 AM »
We have Milgard windows and they are coming out next week to replace 2 panes that have lost their seal.

Installed in 2005 and they are replacing for free as they are covered under warranty, I was expecting to pay a couple hundred for the two glass pieces to be replaced. Point is if you are original owner or know who installed them call and ask, might get a nice surprise.

Good point! For how long is the warranty good on those?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 11:03:02 AM »
If anyone is contemplating window replacement vs pane replacement.  I would suggest having an energy audit done on your home first.
Most utilities offer them at no cost.  Home performance companies offer them as well, usually with a fee.

These audits can not only tell you where you are losing energy and how much, but they will also tell you which improvement projects will save you the most in the long term.

Utility rebates are also common for window replacement. 

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 11:14:57 AM »
In reference to rebates from utility companies, the only rebates available for window replacement is when you replace the aluminum windows with vinyl windows, according to Clark Public utilities. He did say that there may be a small federal tax credit.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2021, 11:31:21 AM »

If you're thinking about selling consider a couple of things. First, if the house passes inspection without the replacements, you save the $18K by not replacing. Secondly, improvements rarely raise the value of the home enough to cover their cost. Lastly, especially in a seller's market, you can take your highest bid (which lately has been 10-15% over asking) and if the inspection shows replacement is necessary, you can negotiate the value with the buyer as a seller concession. They want the house. if the estimate on the windows is $18K, they're likely to take far less as a seller concession. Remember that unless the windows are visibly damaged, the appraisal is unlikely to be affected. And, the lender cares about the appraisal and normally doesn't require a home inspection. Inspections are for the buyer's benefit and peace of mind.

Yeah, we are looking to down size to a smaller house.  Real estate prices in Snohomish County have gone through the roof, so finding a smaller house has been a real challenge. We just don't need a 3-br 3-bath 2100 sq. ft. house, any more.
We have a friend who does inspections as a business, so he has been giving us some advice on things to do to make the house more marketable.  The house will already pass inspection, so it's just a matter of finding one to move to.
Crazy times in the real estate market.....................
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »
In reference to rebates from utility companies, the only rebates available for window replacement is when you replace the aluminum windows with vinyl windows, according to Clark Public utilities. He did say that there may be a small federal tax credit.

PSE offers one as well, but only for single pane upgrades.

Rebates are always relative. Most aren't enough to justify the cost difference of an upgrade.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2021, 12:43:27 PM »
For what it's worth, replacing windows is actually pretty darn easy.  I'm certainly no carpenter but with the help of a friend I replaced all of our old AL. windows with new Pella vinyl windows a few years ago.  I was actually very surprised how easy it was.  Go price windows and you'll be shocked at how bad they stick it to you on the install.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »

I think it varies by County and the program available at the time.

I did a fairly small house in Clallam County under the PUD energy program, and I was amazed. Small house, but had a 1 huge window with dual sliders, one bathroom frosted, 1 small, and 4 big slider bedroom windows. and a sliding glass door... $1400, installed, out the door after the PUD. (About the price of the big window by itself.)

Has to be electric for main heat, and the County has to be participating in an energy efficiency program.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2021, 03:19:32 PM »
We have Milgard windows and they are coming out next week to replace 2 panes that have lost their seal.

Installed in 2005 and they are replacing for free as they are covered under warranty, I was expecting to pay a couple hundred for the two glass pieces to be replaced. Point is if you are original owner or know who installed them call and ask, might get a nice surprise.

I am think the seal on the double pane glass was lifetime for the homeowner from what they said, I will try and remember to ask when the installer is here next week.  I am also going to ask about the lifters if they are covered or not, I expect they are not but will ask since he is going to be here.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Online brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2021, 05:32:05 PM »
Yup, my cousin replaces windows, I broke one of my panes and he had it replaced in 1/2 hour and 125 or 150 bucks. The well water we have has ruined all our windows, tried acid had a professional come out and they said we will have to replace all of them.  I'll do a few at a time before we sell.
curious as to why your well water ruined your windows ??  I worked for Milgard for a while and thought their lifetime warranty covers window seal failure but i believe the warranty is void if it is not installed correctly (i don't think the warranty covers if you use expanding foam around the frames ? best to find out before install )  full window replacement is really not that difficult but would not recommend replacing glass on aluminum frames...best off replacing the entire window.  Aluminum frames will sweat
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »

I am think the seal on the double pane glass was lifetime for the homeowner from what they said, I will try and remember to ask when the installer is here next week.  I am also going to ask about the lifters if they are covered or not, I expect they are not but will ask since he is going to be here.

Just a quick follow-up on the lifetime warranty, it is just for the original purchaser or home owner. They were just here and did a quick swap of the two pane units that had lost the seal.
While talking with him discovered the hardware that assists with the opening and closing of the units is covered and I have the bad ones. They are going to order up the new ones and swap out all the windows that are the single hung with the new lifters.
Really been happy with Milgard and their service and support  :tup: 
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 11:10:05 AM »
So, a little follow-up on Vancouver Glass. I'd asked for window replacement on four windows. After they finished and left, I noticed that the sliding glass had water spots - hadn't been replaced. When I called them about it they said that normally, only the one side is replaced. So at a cost of $375 per double pane, did I get my money's worth or did I get ripped off? I assumed (and didn't get a written contract...doh!) that when I told them I wanted to replace the glass in all four windows, they'd replace both sides. Bad assumption on my part? Idiot for not getting a written quote from someone I'd done business with a few times previously? Now my wife is adding in her two cents as Monday morning QB, so that's nice, too.  :bash:

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2021, 10:25:57 AM »
Now if you are talking about aluminum windows I would defiantly look to update to vinyl windows.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]