collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Umtanum Ram Hunt  (Read 12094 times)

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
My Umtanum Ram Hunt
« on: October 07, 2021, 08:18:06 PM »
My Umtanum ram hunt has come to a successful close.  What an experience.  I will do my best to tell the story.

I made three scouting trips over to the area over the summer.  On the first trip, in July, I found a band of 4 rams that I was watching for a while.  While I was doing that, another ram and a juvenile walked across the rocky slope and joined them.  When I saw that ram, I thought to myself “that is a nice ram.  I wouldn’t mind taking him.”  One thing that I noticed was that all of the original 4 I was watching had colored collars on them, but the new arrival didn’t. 

My next trip over I didn’t see a single ram and was getting a little worried.  After some encouraging info from a couple of members of this site, I felt a little better.  I made one more last minute trip over the Thursday before the season started.  I met one of the other tag holders while I was over there and when he found out that I would probably be going solo on my hunt, he offered that he had a couple of friends coming with him and that we could team up and they would help out if I needed it.  I was more than happy to accept the offer and it turned out to be a blast.  While I was there, a guy who was helping spot for a family with a daughter who had a ewe tag pointed out where the rams were located.  When I got them in my spotting scope I was happy to see that it was the same group that I had seen in July, minus the juvenile and plus another mature ram.  At that time we had white collar, green collar, pink collar, red collar, broken horn, and no collar.  Definitely made it easy to keep track of them.

I then found out that the collars were put on sheep that were captured in February and tested negative for pneumonia.  Anything without a collar hadn’t been tested.  We also were told that no-collar and broken-horn were both seen coughing the day before we were there and asked to take the lungs along with blood and nasal swabs if we took one of those two…………

To be continued….. 
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: My Umtanum Ram Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 08:22:55 PM »
Awesome so far!

Congrats on the successful hunt
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline WildBear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »
Congrats! Looking forward to the rest. 😁
Worst day hunting is better than best day working!

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 08:41:40 PM »
I headed over for the hunt and met my fellow tag holders and his two friends on Sunday with the season set to open the next morning.  We found the rams again, and spent the afternoon watching and evaluating.  The more I watched, the more it confirmed that No-Collar was the one I wanted to take.  He had everything I wanted.  My friends had asked if I had a certain size ram I was looking for or what I was after and I kept saying that I didn’t have anything specific, but that there would be one that I would see and say “that’s him.”  That is exactly what happened with No-Collar. 

We spent opening day watching the rams to see if they would move somewhere or come down to water and trying to figure out if they had any sort of pattern.  What I realized is these rams didn’t move much.  They barely ventured more than a couple hundred yards all day.  We also had the good fortune to meet some of the hunters who had the Selah Butte tags.  What a great bunch of folks. 

Tuesday morning came around and the rams were still in the same spot.  At that point, my lack of patience kicked in and I looked at the fellas and said “I’m going for a hike.”  One of them, Andy, said he would come along.  We drove around to the back of the area and hiked up to the rim of the canyon.  While sneaking along we realized we had been spotted by the resident herd of ewes and juveniles.  After laying on the rim of the canyon for about 15 minutes, the ewes all decided to head out over a saddle into the next drainage.  I found the rams and made a roundabout approach to try to get above them and keep the wind in our favor.  I started working my way from rock outcropping to outcropping descending towards the bedded rams (and three ewes).  When I reached the last available chunk of rock, I looked over the edge and had a clear view of No-Collar and White-Collar bedded below.  I was so excited and shaking so bad I had a hard time getting a range.  I finally got it to read 425 yards.  I dialed it on my scope and tried to settle in.  It was definitely not a comfortable shooting position but I got set up and waited for No-Collar to stand up.  Once he did he slowly turned broadside and I settled the crosshairs and pressed the trigger.  After the recoil, I saw No-Collar standing there looking around trying to figure out what happened.  I reloaded and settled again.  Bang.  No-Collar moved a bit and they all milled around wondering what was going on……..and then they started grazing.  I knew I had to be shooting high so I dialed down to 400 and settled in again.  Bang.  And they all scattered.  I lost sight of the rams, but knew I had missed again.  I reloaded my magazine and tried to figure out where the rams went.  I saw the three ewes heading off to my left and then caught movement to my right.  There went the line of rams, including an un-scathed No-Collar.  They were heading away and around the end of the ridge one drainage away. 

t-b-c
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 08:51:52 PM »
At that point it was time to hustle.  We headed down that ridge and worked past three different rock formations.  While standing on the last one, I still couldn’t see the rams.  I looked down and could see that our two buddies were parked in a pull-off on the highway below us.  I looked thru the binos and could see one of them motioning me to my left.  When I worked around the rocks in that direction I saw a couple ewes and then two rams.  White-Collar and No-Collar were standing broadside below me.  I ranged them at 183 returned my scope to it’s 200 yard zero and set up.  I put the crosshairs on the lower ⅓ of No-Collar’s chest and pressed the trigger.  I heard the bullet hit and saw him stumble and go down.  I somehow managed to actually get No-Collar after all of that. 

After some celebrating, tag notching, and picture taking it was time to break him down.  Once we got that done came the task of getting him off the mountain…..and here’s where it got interesting.

Andy didn’t realize when I said I was going for a hike, that I really meant I was going to try to shoot a ram.  He brought a day-pack that really wasn’t capable of carrying much weight.  He took the loose meat and I loaded the four quarters and head/horn and cape on my back.  We had decided that we would take him down to the river and cross to our buddies and drive back around for my truck.  The gentleman who was spotting for the ewe tag holder told us that the river is only knee deep and you can wade across……….ummmmm not so much. 
After taking one tumble on the way down with an extremely heavy pack I made it to the river slightly bruised, and with one bent trekking pole.  At that point Andy and I started into the river to test it out.  He made it about ⅔ of the way and realized it was waist deep and pushing him pretty hard.  He told me to go back and he would go across and get his 350 foot rope and bring it back to use to help across.  After slipping down and going chest deep, he made it to the other side.  He came back with a life jacket and a rope and headed back into the river.  Unfortunately it wasn’t his long rope and he was not able to get all the way across.  So plan C was hatched.  I forgot to mention that I had a brand new 5 person raft that I bought for this hunt.  But I made a bonehead move and left it in my truck…….on the other side of the mountain.  I gave Andy one of my key fobs and he waded across for the 3rd time to go get my truck and the raft. 

About an hour and a half later, here came Andy, Dan, and Mont down the hill with the raft on a pack-board.  Andy had put on chest waders by this point as well.  They inflated the raft and Andy rowed across like a pro, picked me up and rowed back.  We then divided everything up and started up towards the road.  Andy and Dan were bringing the raft and Mont and I had the ram.  On the last leg we heard a voice from above ask “You guys need some help?”  We all said yes and two young men and two young women from one of the Selah Butte tag groups came down with cold beers and took the raft and we were finally out. 

What a goat rodeo!!!!!  For the rest of the story you need to realize that Andy, who hiked over the mountain with me and carried my rifle and some of the sheep down the mountain, then crossed the Yakima River 3 times, went and got my truck and drove it back, and then rowed over and back to get me is 65 years old and had met me two days earlier.  Mont and Dan who were sweating helping me get my ram and everything up the hill are also both retired and had just met me.  I am so completely overwhelmed by their willingness to help a total stranger.  Every person that I met that was over there hunting rams was amazing.  It is definitely one experience that I will not forget and can only hope to repay.

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 08:58:34 PM »
I forgot to mention that after the initial gun battle with the rams, when my nerves had calmed a bit and I thought they were gone for good, I was able to re-check the range and found that I must have hit the hill where it rose beyond where the rams were bedded to get 425.  I found a rock next to their beds and got an accurate range of 350.  I guess that difference and the extreme down angle of the shot must have been why I was air-mailing the rounds. 

Also, I can't seem to get pictures to load....but they are coming.

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 09:30:07 PM »
Awesome hunt and congratulations. Your an awesome writer. I enjoyed it. Can’t wait to see the pics!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 06:30:58 AM »
congrats! Tagging...
Go hawks

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 06:38:11 AM »
The fellas.

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 06:42:02 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks for the write up!

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 06:46:35 AM »
Line-up.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 06:46:45 AM »
Congrats on a successful hunt, great write up  and meeting someone (especially elderly) willing to go nipple deep in cold water to help out a fellow hunter. I can say from experience that alone is "refreshing to say the least at 60+)
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 06:48:08 AM »
End result.  I'm getting kicked out of the club.

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 06:51:21 AM »
Way cool.   Congrats!  Always wondered how I would do that hunt.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 06:53:43 AM »
dandy ram congrats
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 07:11:16 AM »
Nice write up and great ram!

Offline WildBear

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 07:25:36 AM »
What a great memorable hunt!!
Worst day hunting is better than best day working!

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NWTF, NRA, OHA
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 07:36:08 AM »
Congratulations on your ram!  A week from now I'll be on the Deschutes River in Oregon getting ready for my son's sheep hunt that starts on the 16th. We've been seeing lots of mature rams, but your story just added to the excitement.   :tup:
"if you rattle, they will come"
"Stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 07:49:39 AM »
Great write up and great pictures.  :tup:  Congrats on a really cool ram.  Thanks for taking us along for the ride. 
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline highbuckklr

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 08:32:36 AM »
Excellent all the way around (write up, awesome strangers, true hunting story, and the RAM).

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 09:38:59 AM »
Great hunt and congratulations!  wonderful Ram
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Wunderlich33

• Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 09:59:05 AM »
Congrats on a great Ram!

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2021, 10:46:48 AM »
Congrats on a great ram, sometimes things just end up falling into place!  Also great to hear about the other hunters. There are still some decent folks out there!
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline sjhgraysage

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
Congrats! Nice ram and pics!  :tup:

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »
Congratulations on a good looking Umtanum ram and thanks for sharing your adventure.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2021, 02:16:04 PM »
Great write up and ram.  Congratulations.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2021, 07:30:04 PM »
Elk79, I tried PM-ing you but your inbox is full.

Offline Mjensen

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »
congratulations on a beautiful Ram, what a experience. Thank you for sharing.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 09:43:15 PM »
This is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing it.  :tup:
I have Man Chit to do

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2021, 11:45:57 PM »
Fantastic!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2021, 08:54:36 PM »
Nice way to get booted out of the <1 club!     Sweet looking ram :drool:

Love the story.    Huge congrats :tup:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2021, 02:53:00 PM »
Very nice ram, congrats! Sounds like it was quite an adventure.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2021, 05:56:11 PM »
Very nice ram, congrats! Sounds like it was quite an adventure.

Yes it was.   ;)

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2021, 07:53:45 PM »
He’s a beaut of a ram. Nice work man! Good write up
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2021, 08:16:45 PM »
Great hunt, and great experience with fellow outdoorsmen and women. Really great story!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2021, 04:38:09 PM »
 :tup:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2021, 04:40:44 PM »
Great looking ram. Congratulations.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline takethetime

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2021, 12:28:33 AM »
Well done on the right up and the ram. Fellow hunters can be awesome!

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2022, 04:34:13 PM »
My ram came home today.  Thanks to Joel at Blackriver Taxidermy for doing an amazing job on the mount.  I am super happy with how it turned out.

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2022, 05:00:55 PM »
Beautiful ram and some amazing taxidermy work :drool:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2022, 05:47:05 PM »
that came back awesome!

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Scout
  • 360-801-6438
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2022, 06:05:44 PM »
great ram for that unit
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2022, 10:31:17 PM »
My ram came home today.  Thanks to Joel at Blackriver Taxidermy for doing an amazing job on the mount.  I am super happy with how it turned out.
Cool looking mount!  Doesn't look like the same cape to me as the one in your kill pics.  Looks way lighter.  Maybe it's the lighting.

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2022, 07:33:25 AM »
Cool looking mount!  Doesn't look like the same cape to me as the one in your kill pics.  Looks way lighter.  Maybe it's the lighting.
It’s the same cape, guaranteed. Those rams are pretty filthy most of the time so even a washing the hide removes an insane amount of dirt. Could be some of the lighting as well. Everything gets a tag in here that is not removed until it leaves so it’s pretty dang tough to get misplace a hide/cape.
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2022, 10:46:23 AM »
It’s the same cape, guaranteed. Those rams are pretty filthy most of the time so even a washing the hide removes an insane amount of dirt. Could be some of the lighting as well. Everything gets a tag in here that is not removed until it leaves so it’s pretty dang tough to get misplace a hide/cape.
10-4 The mount looks great!

Offline Csob

• Pilgrim
    • Mont Heinzman
  • Groups: NRA Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Mule Deer Foundation
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2022, 04:37:47 PM »
Hey Torrent, just adding a little to your thread to bring closure with some of the characters from your hunt. This was the ram (green collar) I ended up taking including a picture with the legend Andy (Jeremiah Johnson) Hawkings.

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2022, 08:23:10 PM »
You clearly went waaaay to easy on Andy.  He isn't soaking wet or rafting the Yakima or anything.  We definitely had some fun times over there on the hunt.  Wish I would have been there to see the shot that took down Green Collar.  He's a great ram and I'm glad you were able to get him after setting him as the goal from day 1. 

Thanks for sharing.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal