collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Razor clam feeding patterns  (Read 1624 times)

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Razor clam feeding patterns
« on: October 09, 2021, 09:09:38 AM »
The wife and I headed out to Mocrocks last night. We got our limits but wow I sure had to work for it. Clams just didn’t want to show down by the surf. Maybe they weren’t actively feeding.  We had our best luck half way back toward the truck looking for older shows. The clams were deep and the sand was more compact. I had to bury the gun handle down to the sand then slowly pull. Good thing I’ve been doing a lot of heavy deadlift workouts this year!  After doing that 60+ times I was ready to call it quits.

So what influences how and where clams feed and produce shows?  Do they only feed in the receding surf areas when the food they want is blooming?  It’s curious to me we couldn’t find any actively feeding clams.

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Razor clam feeding patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 09:20:34 AM »
Clams feed every time water covers them. But they go deep when the waves are crashing really hard. Typical big surf makes for harder clamming. But generally the easiest clamming is always further up the beach in my experience.

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 09:35:35 AM »
I was on the same beach. I thought it was pretty easy, but I’ve been doing it for close to 50 years. I highly recommend the clam gun the guy at the bar, green lantern, I think. They are expensive, but easy to sink and easier to pull up. Last night was a pretty low tide. I carry a stick to thump the ground when they are not showing well. The thump makes them move and you will see the dimple. Had my limit in about 15-20 minutes. Helped several new diggers learn how to find them after that.

Offline 253shotgunner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »
I am going to Copalis beach tonight. I had a tough night at Mocrocks on Wednesday night. I forgot my sand pounder and I now realize that might have helped.
When the clams are showing, anybody can limit out. When they are deep and not showing, those are the times when you have to get creative w/pounders, etc.
Turkey Geek

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 11:52:54 AM »
Thank you I appreciate you all sharing your experience with me. Next time I’ll bring a shovel along and use the handle as a pounder.  Thanks for the tip on the green lantern tavern guns.  Not like I need another reason to stop in that place. 
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline metlhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 06:29:27 AM »
I dig further south and have always noticed surface freshwater runoff after heavy rains will push clams down. Looks like a wet sheen up high on the beach.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 08:16:36 AM »
If ya forget the sand pounder just stomp around and back track, works for me.  :tup:

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 08:34:25 AM »
We went to Mocrocks Wed and it seemed like a perfect day but ya they weren’t showing. I use my tube with finger over hole to pound the sand. When you find one and are pulling it up out of the sand more dimples usually showed near the 1st. 40 added up pretty quick and my back didn’t hurt. Heh heh. Smoked up the body sections and had a huge pile of Panko fried diggers last night. Delicious.
I have Man Chit to do

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal