collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montgomery Ward SB530  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Montgomery Ward SB530
« on: October 10, 2021, 11:53:05 PM »
Im in love with side by side shotguns. I own a vintage gun that can only be fed lead and Biz... I love it. I have an opportunity to aguire said gun for a pittance.  What I am trying to figure out is If I could shoot steel out of it.  SB 530s are a savage/stevens shotgun that is private labeled MGW.  I do not see a serial number. The gun is a beautiful single trigger setup.  Ive done some looking at a savage shooting site but didnt find much. What or where do I need to look to find out if it is Steel friendly? I may suck it up even if it isnt... i did get some weird looks at the release site with my 20"exposed hammer stage coach gun at the pheasant release site... Im not scared or proud... just need to know where to find the info I desire.

Thank you in advance.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Montgomery Ward SB530
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 06:43:11 AM »
My guess is “no”.  If it has a full choke most definitely “no”.  Older shotguns that weren’t designed for steel can develop a bulge just upstream of the choke if fed steel.  In a single barrel gun that might not matter much but it can cause the barrels to separate on a double gun.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 08:19:00 AM »
I assume it's 2 3/4 chamber, what is it choked? I know a few guys that shoot steel in them but never bigger than #4's.  Do you load your fodder if so I would load some mild steel loads or Bismuth. I picked up a 310 last year with 3" chambers MxM.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 09:00:20 AM »
Maybe the proof marks.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 06:35:33 PM »
Here you go rule of thumb on 12 ga choke restriction. Top IC, Middle MOD, Bottom Full
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 06:55:34 PM »
Its choked Improved Cylinder and Modified.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
Are you saying this particular MGW shotgun is the one with exposed hammers and 20" barrel you shot at the pheasant release site? I looked up photos of the SB530 and I can find no gun with rabbit ears. If it does have exposed hammers then it may be old enough to be damascus barrels and that's a red light, even with modern conventional lead loads. If that is another gun then never mind.

I feel your pain as I shoot only ancient guns. I have two LC Smith doubles, a trap gun in 12ga made in 1930, and a 16ga field gun made in 1946. I won't shoot steel in either gun due to concerns about damage to the barrels. And not just because of tighter chokes. It's my understanding the older steel in the barrel was softer than modern shotgun bores which are designed to shoot steel. It could be steel would be work ok, but I just don't want to chance it. As FU as it is it is us guys who shoot older shotguns just have to suck it up and shoot the expensive non-tox stuff. I have a small amount of Bismuth to last me this season in areas that I need to shoot non-tox, or in waterfowl hunting, but next season I'll probably bite the bullet and order a case of Boss non-tox shells.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 01:08:06 PM »
Try posting an inquiry on shotgunworld.com or using the search function. A lot of users,, many very knowledgeable and helpful.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to run small shot low velocity rounds through it with those chokes. If you love doubles and are only using it on release sites/upland, you're unlikely to do any damage I suspect

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 03:40:10 PM »
Are you saying this particular MGW shotgun is the one with exposed hammers and 20" barrel you shot at the pheasant release site? I looked up photos of the SB530 and I can find no gun with rabbit ears. If it does have exposed hammers then it may be old enough to be damascus barrels and that's a red light, even with modern conventional lead loads. If that is another gun then never mind.

I feel your pain as I shoot only ancient guns. I have two LC Smith doubles, a trap gun in 12ga made in 1930, and a 16ga field gun made in 1946. I won't shoot steel in either gun due to concerns about damage to the barrels. And not just because of tighter chokes. It's my understanding the older steel in the barrel was softer than modern shotgun bores which are designed to shoot steel. It could be steel would be work ok, but I just don't want to chance it. As FU as it is it is us guys who shoot older shotguns just have to suck it up and shoot the expensive non-tox stuff. I have a small amount of Bismuth to last me this season in areas that I need to shoot non-tox, or in waterfowl hunting, but next season I'll probably bite the bullet and order a case of Boss non-tox shells.

The shotgun in question is a single trigger no exposed hammers.

The stage coach gun is is a fun gun that has earned a few birds.

It seems like i could shoot steel #4 in the Improved Cylinder and back it with Bismuth. And yes it is 2 3/4" shells.

Confucius

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 05:17:40 PM »

The shotgun in question is a single trigger no exposed hammers.

The stage coach gun is is a fun gun that has earned a few birds.

It seems like i could shoot steel #4 in the Improved Cylinder and back it with Bismuth. And yes it is 2 3/4" shells.

You should try it if you're of a mind to do so. It might work out just fine. I just don't want to risk it with my Elsies.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 05:36:19 PM »
My guess is “no”.  If it has a full choke most definitely “no”.  Older shotguns that weren’t designed for steel can develop a bulge just upstream of the choke if fed steel.  In a single barrel gun that might not matter much but it can cause the barrels to separate on a double gun.

:yeah:

Then you have to get out the hack saw....    :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]