collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sourdough anyone?  (Read 8995 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Sourdough anyone?
« on: October 11, 2021, 12:16:46 PM »
My wife has endometriosis and the glutens seem to make that flare up from time to time. She recently read some stuff indicating that a sourdough from a quality starter will not cause those issues. I've always wanted to take up baking bread as a hobby but never did because I'm the only one that would ever eat it, but this changes things and I'm going to try some sourdough bread. I made a starter with dark rye flour 2 days ago. Didn't rise the first night but it did the 2nd night(last night).
Any experiences or advice is appreciated. I've been reading. Sounds like you can take it as far as you want in terms of simple or complicated science experiment type stuff. I'd like to make some breads and maybe some pancakes once in a while, maybe some dutch oven sourdough muffins once in a while.
Thanks

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Sourdough anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 12:21:42 PM »
It can be very easy or very hard depending on what recipe you follow.  Unfortunately, my starter got accidentally baked and I just started over again today.

Here's the bread I make, it's easy but takes a long time compared with store yeast:

I bake it in a cast iron dutch oven with lid and get amazing crust.

Sourdough pancakes are good too.

My starters usually take 5-6 days to get going really well.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 12:27:34 PM »
Sourdough pancakes are my favorite!

Don't forget to feed your start. They only get better with age.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline boatloader

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
    • Matt Kanarr
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
I have also recently had my interest piqued on this topic. My wife showed me an episode of the documentary by Michael Pollan called Cooked. It's on Netflix. The series has four episodes corresponding to the four elements. The bread one is the "Air" episode. If that doesn't get you jazzed on making some bread, nothing will! It also explains the difference between old style sourdough and new fangled yeast methods, and why your wife would probably be OK with the sourdough.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 01:10:09 PM »
It can be very easy or very hard depending on what recipe you follow.  Unfortunately, my starter got accidentally baked and I just started over again today.

Here's the bread I make, it's easy but takes a long time compared with store yeast:

Did yours get baked because it was in the oven with the light on keeping warm?
I'm 100% sure that would happen to mine as well. I've got mine in a cabinet in my kitchen up high where hopefully it's a little warmer.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 01:23:06 PM »
I used this video to get started. It definitely helped flatten the learning curve. I used a towel and bowl for the final rise but occasionally had trouble with it releasing properly, or it had way too much flour on top. Buying molds is helpful to prevent that. Cast iron is great to cook with, just make sure you have a pan of water in there to start. The moisture is critical for it to rise before the crust forms. Otherwise you'll get flat, dense bread.

ab_channel=ilovecookingireland

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 01:32:15 PM »
Decided to use some discarded starter and make a loaf of bread last night. Not full blown sourdough but pretty dang delicious either way.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 02:12:14 PM »
That's a beautiful loaf of bread!
I've been into sourdough for over 3 decades now and love it. I started with some starter a neighbor gave me way back then.
I mostly do pancakes but venture into the bread loafs once in a while.
It always seems to be good for the digestive system.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »
One thing I found that helps is to add some flax seed flour. It helps the sponge and the cultures do very well with some flax seed flour added.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 09:19:55 AM »

Did yours get baked because it was in the oven with the light on keeping warm?
I'm 100% sure that would happen to mine as well. I've got mine in a cabinet in my kitchen up high where hopefully it's a little warmer.

No, not from the light, my kids turned it on to 450 without looking in there.  It's happened twice now.....

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 09:55:52 AM »
I had a 1907 AK goldrush sourdough that I used for years but allowed to die in the fridge during a divorce. We made pancakes a lot, bread sometimes. Keep it fed and it'll last for a long time. Have fun.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 10:15:35 AM »
I had a 1907 AK goldrush sourdough that I used for years but allowed to die in the fridge during a divorce. We made pancakes a lot, bread sometimes. Keep it fed and it'll last for a long time. Have fun.

Bummer.

I've noticed it can come back from the dead if you feed it several times over a couple days.  Mine seemed to survive long periods in the refrigerator, but didn't like 450 too well.

When you had that one, did you notice any changes over time?  (not sure how long you had it).  I have always wondered if local yeast and bacterial will out compete and eventually replace what was in there when it was brought in.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 10:28:57 AM »

Bummer.

I've noticed it can come back from the dead if you feed it several times over a couple days.  Mine seemed to survive long periods in the refrigerator, but didn't like 450 too well.

When you had that one, did you notice any changes over time?  (not sure how long you had it).  I have always wondered if local yeast and bacterial will out compete and eventually replace what was in there when it was brought in.

I actually had two. the other was San Francisco from the 1860s. They each had distinct flavors - I could tell something cooked one from the other blindfolded. They didn't change that I could tell. I did try to bring them back by feeding for a few days with no luck. I added packaged yeast and that killed it completely.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 11:17:59 AM »
Interesting, the vast majority of my fermentation experience is from beer and I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that it's much different than bread.  I'm finding out sausage making is far different as well.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 09:20:43 AM »
First actual sourdough loaf for me. It looks good. Hopefully it tastes good too. Took the lid off the Dutch oven at 30 minutes and let it go another 13 minutes. I thought about letting it go a few more minutes but didn’t want to push my luck.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw