collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tips for safe solo hunting  (Read 9971 times)

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: Tips for safe solo hunting
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 06:04:26 PM »
I would highly recommend the "Stop the bleed" training if you can locate a class in your area. It offers the latest procedures regarding using a tourniquet and things like packing a wound. I was shocked at how much gauze it took to fill the training aid wound. Touriquets seem like "what's the chance I would need one" but when it is required it could be the difference for you or someone else. You are taking smart measures to be safe.

Offline logola512c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 06:13:10 PM »
A lot of good advice already.  I agree with an emergency first aid kit and knowing how to use it, and I really like the inreach.  I almost exclusively hunt solo outside of cell coverage, and often in a tree farm that has roads literally everywhere, which means that on a given day I might try one spot and then drive a few miles to another spot and hike a mile or so, and then drive a few miles to another spot and hike from there so it's hard to tell my family where I am going to be in advance with any level of precision.  But the inreach lets me just hit a button that sends a pre-written text message that says "Now I'm here"  with a gps link to my location in the message. Takes literally 2 seconds, and then my family knows which part of the 100 square miles of tree farm I am in, even when I move around.  FWIW...I also have a preset message that says "Shot fired, tracking wounded animal" that also sends with the gps location.  Adds to the drama for the recipient of the message...

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »
One thought....once you shoot be prepared as you can me. Meaning....do you have time to track,  gut, deal with, pack out, call in support,  cut, clean, cool down etc the critter. Imo, hunting is nothing.....being successful is hard work after one lil ol trigger pull.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 08:30:22 PM »
Good advice above, I hunt solo probably more than 50% of the time. 

For the most part, I try to be careful as the big risks in my mind are hurting a leg/ankle/foot or bleeding out.  So, stop blood fast stuff and a way to call the cavalry in are at the top of the list.  I'm extra careful to not take unreasonable chances hunting places where injuries are too easy like steep shale, snow over boulders, etc.

Knowing where you are is obviously important, so a backup gps for my phone is there with my truck pinned and an extra set of batteries.  I also carry a power brick for my phone and after one failed I now have two.  They are cheap and light.  I also have extra batteries and an extra headlamp, if you consolidate everything to AAs you only need one extra set for everything.

I also have stuff for the truck, but that's no different solo - jump starter battery, extra keys, get unstuck stuff.

Finally, someone on the outside knows generally where I am as well as when to get worried along with a digital picture of my truck showing the license plate number.

Offline krolelov

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 10:33:17 PM »
 :yeah:
The skull is too important to me to shoot it, no need to. If a bear is dead, he won’t be moving, I’ve never seen one not dead just laying still. But, approaching a bear you shot on your own is exciting, nothing like walking up on a deer/elk. Just have your gun ready, safety off, and put the barrel on his eye. Don’t worry, if it moves, the gun will go off before you know it!  :chuckle:   I solo hunt alone 99% of the time, I love it! You get more out of it, it’s quiet, no one to tell you different on your thoughts of where to go, what to do.  It’s very hard work if/when you are successful, but very rewarding.  Just relax, make a good shot and enjoy the solitude !

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 05:28:55 PM »
That’s a weird thing to teach. I remember when I was a kid going through hunters Ed our instructor mentioned “I personally would never bear hunt that just seems to scary” not all hunter ed instructors should be doing it. Don’t over think black bear hunting. Your more likely to die driving to your hunting spot or breaking a leg.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »
One thought....once you shoot be prepared as you can me. Meaning....do you have time to track,  gut, deal with, pack out, call in support,  cut, clean, cool down etc the critter. Imo, hunting is nothing.....being successful is hard work after one lil ol trigger pull.

The reason I stopped hunting big fur critters.
After a long day ‘hiking with hunting gear’, bow in this case, I called in a nice deer late in the day. It had been raining light all day and I was wet and tired.
Went to full draw and thought about all the work that would start as soon as I released. Yelled instead and watched it bound off. Figured if it was not worth the work any more it was time to hang it up.
May go again at some point. Got a ‘new’ Buddy with lots of Elk on his land and an invite. I would just have to share some.
I WILL NOT pay for processing my critter. That is part of the ‘work’. Elk are a LOT of work to process.
You DO need to consider what happens ‘after’. Particularly if you are way back and remote.
Have spent from nearly a day dragging a critter (with another person) to having a deer roll down a hill on to the side of a road. That one was 45 min from parking to start hunting to heading out with the gutted deer! My partner only got one boot on!
Can’t count on an easy time.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 11:06:21 AM »

The reason I stopped hunting big fur critters.
After a long day ‘hiking with hunting gear’, bow in this case, I called in a nice deer late in the day. It had been raining light all day and I was wet and tired.
Went to full draw and thought about all the work that would start as soon as I released. Yelled instead and watched it bound off. Figured if it was not worth the work any more it was time to hang it up.
May go again at some point. Got a ‘new’ Buddy with lots of Elk on his land and an invite. I would just have to share some.
I WILL NOT pay for processing my critter. That is part of the ‘work’. Elk are a LOT of work to process.
You DO need to consider what happens ‘after’. Particularly if you are way back and remote.
Have spent from nearly a day dragging a critter (with another person) to having a deer roll down a hill on to the side of a road. That one was 45 min from parking to start hunting to heading out with the gutted deer! My partner only got one boot on!
Can’t count on an easy time.

You stopped hunting because “it’s a lot of work”? the work is what makes it so rewarding to me.

Offline Sundance

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 01:00:49 PM »
Before a wife and kids I just went and never really thought anything of it. That has drastically changed now. I always have my Garmin InReach on my pack clipped into the shoulder pad where I can access it quickly. I always let my wife know where I'm going and when I'm expected out, if that changes I shoot her an inreach message with the update. I also let her know which of my buddies best knows the area and where I'd probably be at so she could call them if I was late checking in. I move a lot slower and don't take risks like I would with another person there, that can mean going the slower route or not walking on fallen logs. Stuff happens and you can get hurt, but I always make sure I have the gear to take care of myself if things turn for the worse. Mostly that's carrying my inreach, a 5x9 flat tarp, and some fire starter. I do several solo trips each year and most of them I'm spiking out overnight, some in larger predator country like Idaho or Alaska. It's a frame of mind and experience that just takes some more preparation and field time to get adjusted to.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 01:28:06 PM »
InReach

and when you think about taking any kind of shortcut that has a small risk, don't take it

(ie. when you think "i'll just hop off this log and I"ll probably land just fine"... dont, step down, take your time)

And don't use a havalon!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 01:34:20 PM »
 :yeah:x4  Inreach. Quickclot, tourniquet, lint fire starters and blast match, foil packs of cat food, 100' rope, knives, and more water than you think you need.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 01:38:32 PM »
:yeah:x4  Inreach. Quickclot, tourniquet, lint fire starters and blast match, foil packs of cat food, 100' rope, knives, and more water than you think you need.
So your telling me my 4 rounds of ammo,10' feet of paracord,and a knife are not cutting it.
Dang it :chuckle: :tung: :chuckle:
The good ol'days are gone I guess.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 01:44:44 PM »
So your telling me my 4 rounds of ammo,10' feet of paracord,and a knife are not cutting it.

:chuckle: Not if you're old like me. In a couple of years, I'll likely add Depends to the list.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 01:46:10 PM »

:chuckle: Not if you're old like me. In a couple of years, I'll likely add Depends to the list.
I'm laughing inside right now cause it is true for me too.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 03:32:26 PM »
I guess I'll throw a tip out there.
Since everybody likes the tip.
I wear a belt,I've definitely have used it for multiple uses when rope wasn't available.
That's all I got.
Stay safe out there guys. :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]