collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2021 General Deer  (Read 14954 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Re: 2021 General Deer
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »
Had one guy come up the driveway and ask if they could hunt the 3 point whitetail..... I told him that is a mule deer and it is only two points...traffic on hwy 25 is crazy...
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2021, 06:34:43 PM »
Probably as crazy as it is here in Winthrop, seems like an endless string of vehicles all watching the 4 bucks and 3 does in the yard. The ones this morning even got to watch the 2 point and fork horn spare between the house and the road, less than 30 feet between the 2
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2021, 06:57:07 PM »
I had a guy today drive past at least 10 no Tresspassing and Private Property signs to start glassing my property from my driveway. I asked him what he was looking at and he would not respond to me, just stood there glassing like I wasn't really there. My 2 shorthairs were running around and I said "your not going to shoot my dogs are you"? Kind of jokingly and kind of not. He then went around to the other side of his SUV and started glassing my neighbors property. I guess he decided to leave when I started to get to close. Then later in the day he and another rig stopped at my place in the middle of the road and stared at me for about 2 minutes, I guess because I was rude to him I deserved a stare down.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2021, 07:19:16 PM »
I had a guy today drive past at least 10 no Tresspassing and Private Property signs to start glassing my property from my driveway. I asked him what he was looking at and he would not respond to me, just stood there glassing like I wasn't really there. My 2 shorthairs were running around and I said "your not going to shoot my dogs are you"? Kind of jokingly and kind of not. He then went around to the other side of his SUV and started glassing my neighbors property. I guess he decided to leave when I started to get to close. Then later in the day he and another rig stopped at my place in the middle of the road and stared at me for about 2 minutes, I guess because I was rude to him I deserved a stare down.
That's funny.....
Cause the hunter I had above me kept starring at me and my son while snack time breakfast.
I looked through the bino ,told the kid damm he is fater than me. Then I said ,no way in h@$!! He walked up there.
He has to have an ATV up there.
I never did find out how he got up there. :chuckle:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:44 PM »
Obviously we have clowns that can't read no trespassing signs. Time to get lisc plate numbers and turn them in.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2021, 07:39:37 PM »
Photos not so great but this is the biggest buck I ever killed 3x4 with eye guards, 18 1'2" wide.

The rain was turning to mist this morning about 8:00 when I rounded the corner of a game exclosure fence Green Diamond put up on the Wynoochee. Pretty flat but there was a rise that broke over about a 100 yards in front of me. I couldn't see beyond. I set my shooting sticks up, rested my gun on them an almost immediately saw a deer which I thought a doe to my left. looked at her with the scope and yes it was a doe but she kept looking off to her left. Scope had a lot of water on it so I dragged out some tissue and swiped it. looked at her again and she kept looking to her left but I saw nothing there. She moved on and I scanned farther in the direction she had been looking and there was a deer. I instantly new it to be a buck. All I could see was his head and neck. He was looking right at me. I put the cross hairs under his chin and pulled the trigger and he was gone.
 I felt confident in my shot. I was going to pick up my empty and I thought the heck with that, worry about the deer first. I walked towards where he was and when I got to where I thought he had been, nothing. It was very open so I started getting worried. I kept walking and every step I was more apprehensive. About a 100 feet past where i thought he should be I cleared the top of the rise and there he was upright in a depression. His legs had collapsed but he was upright with his nose in the dirt. Never even moved enough to flop over on his side.
This is the second buck I have killed walking the perimeter of that fence. I'll be sad to see it get too growed up. Probably two more years hunting there at most.
Two miles out to the gate for my cart and the round trip with the deer put me out by noon. I have a feeling I burned up a lot of luck getting this deer.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2021, 07:42:00 PM »
Awesome blacktail! Wow.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2021, 08:04:54 PM »

Good looking deer. Glassing with your rifle scope makes me cringe and never want to be in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think that happened, I think you need to read again.
Looking at a previously spotted deer through your scope is far different from "glassing with your rifle scope". By that logic hunters would never actually put their scope on a deer.

Congrats on a great buck, Humptulips.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »
Photos not so great but this is the biggest buck I ever killed 3x4 with eye guards, 18 1'2" wide.

The rain was turning to mist this morning about 8:00 when I rounded the corner of a game exclosure fence Green Diamond put up on the Wynoochee. Pretty flat but there was a rise that broke over about a 100 yards in front of me. I couldn't see beyond. I set my shooting sticks up, rested my gun on them an almost immediately saw a deer which I thought a doe to my left. looked at her with the scope and yes it was a doe but she kept looking off to her left. Scope had a lot of water on it so I dragged out some tissue and swiped it. looked at her again and she kept looking to her left but I saw nothing there. She moved on and I scanned farther in the direction she had been looking and there was a deer. I instantly new it to be a buck. All I could see was his head and neck. He was looking right at me. I put the cross hairs under his chin and pulled the trigger and he was gone.
 I felt confident in my shot. I was going to pick up my empty and I thought the heck with that, worry about the deer first. I walked towards where he was and when I got to where I thought he had been, nothing. It was very open so I started getting worried. I kept walking and every step I was more apprehensive. About a 100 feet past where i thought he should be I cleared the top of the rise and there he was upright in a depression. His legs had collapsed but he was upright with his nose in the dirt. Never even moved enough to flop over on his side.
This is the second buck I have killed walking the perimeter of that fence. I'll be sad to see it get too growed up. Probably two more years hunting there at most.
Two miles out to the gate for my cart and the round trip with the deer put me out by noon. I have a feeling I burned up a lot of luck getting this deer.
Great look in buck👏👏👏
Opening day too💪
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline trapperguy22

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2021, 08:07:53 PM »
awesome buck Bruce!!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2021, 08:16:32 PM »

Good looking deer. Glassing with your rifle scope makes me cringe and never want to be in the woods.

He was looking through his scope at what he already identified as a deer. Kinda the thing you do when deer hunting. I agree nice deer 👍

Offline Buzzsaw461

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2021, 08:16:56 PM »
 :yeah:

If you think that happened, I think you need to read again.
Looking at a previously spotted deer through your scope is far different from "glassing with your rifle scope". By that logic hunters would never actually put their scope on a deer.

Congrats on a great buck, Humptulips.

Offline Buzzsaw461

• Hunter
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2021, 08:19:15 PM »

Very Nice :tup:

Offline browney5er

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2021, 08:23:26 PM »
Great buck, good for you :tup:
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »

I'll just take the blame for some poor writing. I can see how you might think I was glassing with my scope when I said "I scanned in the direction she had been looking". To be clear I looked at the doe twice through my scope. The first time it was hard to see because of the water on the lens. I wiped it off and gave her a second look. I then scanned in the direction she had been looking with my naked eyes. Once I saw the deer which I was sure was a buck I brought the gun to bear on it looking through the scope for the third time.
Sorry if my writing was confusing.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]