collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Mule Deer (100% public land hunt)  (Read 2942 times)

Offline cougfan79

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Wyoming Mule Deer (100% public land hunt)
« on: October 16, 2021, 07:49:30 AM »
Another trip in the books, 3rd for me and 1st for my dad.  By no means was this an easy trip, but in the end it was successful.

Leaving on Oct 1st, we had 2 weeks to accomplish our goal and after the initial 14hr drive I took us on a little detour.  I knew of a 20 mile drive through sporadic farm and public land that would surely get us eyes on some good mule deer.  This detour did not disappoint, we saw close to 100 deer and a couple dozen bucks including some "no doubters". 

With our hopes high, we set out early the next day on a piece of state land that I had previously seen plenty of animals on.  Putting in 12+ miles and spending nearly 7 hours scouring the hillsides we finally met back at the truck to tell our stories of the 1st days hunt.  I had seen close to 20 deer and a couple small bucks, and my dad only a handful of doe.  Little did we know this would be the best we could do for the next 4 days as it got hot!  By hot I mean hot, 85 deg or more was not fun to hunt in but we persisted.  We continued to hunt for about 4 hrs every morning and then another couple hrs each evening (temps still 75+ as the sun set), but we were not seeing a thing.  Naturally we were starting to get discouraged as we had spent an entire week already with no animals down and time not in our favor.

Good news was the weather was turning!  Day 6 only saw highs around 70 and the deer were starting to move.  The next hunt was an eventful one for me as I got eyes on a decent buck.  First spotted at around 355yds and straight down hill from me I was not presented a shot that would have been ethical in my opinion.  So I waited for my opportunity to back out of my current spot and proceeded to walk around the hill I was on and come in from a better angle.  About 90 minutes later I was in a better spot and found the buck again, but he was approaching the state land border.  Long story short, I did not end up shooting this buck as I was busted by a couple doe and he casually crossed on to private land.  So I hike back up to the truck to meet my dad at our agreed upon time and told him about my excitement.  While happy for me, he still had only seen a couple doe and 6 days in not one buck on legal ground.

Day 7 started good and kept the same story, 70 degrees out, deer moving more, but all doe during the hunt.  Needing a break both mentally and physically we went back to the room for lunch, a stiff drink and a nap.  That afternoon not confidently knowing where to head next, we picked a piece of state land (one square mile) that I had never hunted before and figured it was worth a look.  An what do you know, one hour later at the back of the property I spot a really nice buck on the sky line, then another one a 100yds to his left.  Adrenaline pumping, I waited for them to get out of site before closing in on them.  I get to a spot at the edge of the property and spot the small buck, he had picked up another smaller one and they ran around the back side of the hill.  I glassed all around and there was another group of 5 bucks all together just to my left, but I was not in the best position for a shot, a fact that would work in my favor.  This group was definitely aware I was there so I casually sat down and started to get in position.  As I waited for one to separate from the group, I catch the original buck from the sky line coming back over the hill and moving straight towards me.  With this buck in my scope for what felt like an eternity (probably 15-20 minutes) the group of 5 run off, but this one kept coming.  GPS in hand and my OnX app I knew exactly how far this buck needed to come before he was on legal ground and come he did. As soon as I was confident  he was legal, I shoot and down he goes.  I let out a little "hell yeah" and radio my dad the good news and we get him out just before dark.

Then my focus changed, I need to get my dad an animal.  We seen them, as he missed a nice 3x3 the next morning and were a lot more animals were moving, but no success that day.  The next night we decided to see if the rest of the bucks that were in the group I saw would return to where they were.  My dad hustles up to get close to the area but no deer, for now.  He moves slowly to gain view of a small drainage and there it is, a 4x4.  I hear the shot, then another and am anxious waiting (I stayed back closer to the truck) for the radio call and there it came.  I was excited that it all came together and hurried back to get the game cart. 

It took work, both on the mental and physical side on this trip, but in the end it was a successful trip.  My advice to any new hunter that may come or even one that has been around for a long time it to enjoy every minute of it.  They aren't always easy, they aren't all going to be successful but the memories and the stories that will be told for generations are what we do this for.  I am 42 and lucky my dad is only 64 so we will hopefully have many more of these adventures.  This year as we all take to the field a few more times, look around camp at night and take it all in.  The fire, the beer, the family, nature, all of it, not everyone is as lucky as we are.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 08:49:24 PM by bobcat »

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Wyoming Mule Deer (100% public land hunt)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 07:55:50 AM »
Beautiful bucks and a great read. Thanks for sharing. :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 04:58:41 PM »
Thats awesome!!!!

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 06:10:45 PM »
Sounds like they were earned.   Congrats   :tup:

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 07:37:22 PM »
Very cool

Offline sjhgraysage

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 11:45:34 AM »
Nice deer!
Bummer about the witness protection program though.... ;) :chuckle:

Online bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 12:26:56 PM »
Way to get it done! 
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 06:24:24 PM »
Great bucks congrats

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 06:52:07 PM »
Great story and bucks! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 07:23:32 PM »
I loved the story. Thanks for sharing.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87