collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Big Game Seasons in the Quilomene  (Read 2335 times)

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Big Game Seasons in the Quilomene
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:03:11 PM »
Hello, can anyone give me an idea of when deer & elk seasons are happening in the Quilomene? Id like to get in there to do some chukar hunting but I'd rather not be there during the big game hunts. Thank you.

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Big Game Seasons in the Quilomene
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 04:03:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's the regular season except for deer. Just grab the regs an check the dates. But also don't stay home just because we're hunting big game. Go an enjoy your time in the woods .you have just as much right. An I would be happy if another hunter was havin fun thats how you meet people. Good luck

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:38:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's the regular season except for deer. Just grab the regs an check the dates. But also don't stay home just because we're hunting big game. Go an enjoy your time in the woods .you have just as much right. An I would be happy if another hunter was havin fun thats how you meet people. Good luck

Thanks Jason. I know I have just as much a right to be up there, but sometimes the hunting crowds are so big its hard to find a good place to camp, and sometimes the additional hunters and quads can spook chukar. Ill checks the regs for the basic seasons. Appreciate it.

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 06:40:30 PM »
No worries bud, just go if ya can find a spot most people ain't gonna care. If we're hunting elk or bear we would want you to enjoy your trip. Good luck an happy hunting

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 06:52:40 PM »
No worries bud, just go if ya can find a spot most people ain't gonna care. If we're hunting elk or bear we would want you to enjoy your trip. Good luck an happy hunting

👍

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
I have hunted this area for chukar during general rifle elk season, never camped, so can't speak to that.

I never saw elk hunters while I was chasing chukar in the canyons. I saw them driving the roads above but thats about it.

Post elk season two years ago I saw a herd about 400 animals while I was chukar hunting. Pretty unreal.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 10:45:14 AM »
I have hunted this area for chukar during general rifle elk season, never camped, so can't speak to that.

I never saw elk hunters while I was chasing chukar in the canyons. I saw them driving the roads above but thats about it.

Post elk season two years ago I saw a herd about 400 animals while I was chukar hunting. Pretty unreal.

That's been my experience also. I've hunted the Quilomene for years, but my age and physical limitations won't allow me to get down into the canyons much anymore, so I tend to hunt the upper ridges, That's cool, because there are chukar there, but it has been my experience the big game hunters increasing use of quads allows them to cover more ground and access these areas more often. To be sure the big game hunters I've always encountered don't hike nearly as much as chukar hunters, but the quads bring them closer to the ridges where they can get out and take a fairly short walk to the ridges where they can glass the canyons. I think they spook birds at times. The area, including the Collokum is so vast this is not really a problem, but it can be for me since my mobility issue doesn't allow me to cover a lot of ground. I shouldn't complain. It would just be preferable to me to have a few less people and vehicles.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal