collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: It's Duck season too...FYI  (Read 1079 times)

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
It's Duck season too...FYI
« on: October 18, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
I am writing this in the deer forum, in case the hunters that decided to take a photo of my truck and license plate thought my 15 year old son was doing something wrong and are on Hunt Wa and read this (and for entertainment for everyone else)...while my dad and I hiked out a parcel of WDFW land which had ponds on it, adjacent to the county road, my son who stayed behind decided to jump shoot some ducks. He left our Vizsla in the truck (she was tired from chasing quail all morning and showing her age) and hiked down to the ponds (the road sits above them by a hundred yards or so) and jump shoot some ducks. He left the truck windows cracked for our dog who was fast asleep in the back seat. When he shot our dog decided she wanted to be bird hunting (even ducks, though she hasn't ever hunted them) and rocked the truck hard enough to set off the alarm...so my kid takes off running (no ducks harmed) back to the truck to turn off the alarm. My dad and I were about a 1/2 mile away on a ridge and I watched the whole thing happen and knew what was going on, and turned to my dad and said, "*censored* kid set the alarm and when he shot Lucy (our dog) got excited". After all of that there were 4 other hunters in the same parcel, who were sitting on the nearest ridge watching and glassing for deer to jump the farmers fence. They apparently didn't think it was legal for a 15 year old kid, not wearing orange to shoot at ducks...I get it, it looked "suspicious" when you see someone sneak down to shoot at ducks and then take off running as if you caught them in the act...but maybe the truck alarm going off would have been a clue to why he was running (we could hear it and we were way out past the other hunters). My son then got the dog out of the truck to run off the excitement and the other hunters started for their truck (fyi, we were parked there first, they showed up after we started our hike out into the parcel). As they passed by my son tried to meet them on the road to apologize (for the truck alarm, not the jump shooting at ducks....) but they drove by him, stopped at our truck and made it a point to show him they were taking a photo of our truck and license plate...all I can say is, Isn't my truck a beaut! Love that truck!

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: It's Duck season too...FYI
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 12:36:04 PM »
O :chuckle: 
Kids….

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »
If it was me, I would have my phone out dropping a pin so I could come do the same thing the next day.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 12:49:13 PM »
Stein...we did go back the next day! and the ducks kept messing with my kid. Two small ponds (Alkaline filled basalt basins) one about 50 yards around, the other about an acre in size right next to each other...my son "snuck" down to the pond with 7 ducks in it and as he approached they took flight, and landed in the pond right next door...he snuck over there and yup, they flew right back to the other pond! He asked me to go throw rocks at them to "flush" them back to the other pond where he was still at, and I laughed and said, "If you can't outsmart a duck, I am not going to stoop to your level of stupidy and throw rocks at them!" Besides, Grandpa was getting tired and so was Lucy as she chased birds in the morning, pointing some nice roosters but of course it doesn't open until NEXT Sat...pretty hard for a 15 year old kid to flush a rooster at his feet, swing on it, and just say "pew pew"...those guys that took the photo of my license plate obviously don't know us!
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 01:39:49 PM »
People love to play woods cops.  Met a man up in arms in muzzy season because someone “up the road shot a deer down in the ditch with a bow and bow season is over!”  Did you see the deer?  No.  Did he say what tag he had?  No.  Was it waaaay down in a brushy pocket?  Yes.  Was it a bear?  “Oh.  Well maybe.”  😂

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]