collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade my hunting clothing to somthing more versatile..  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Learo2000GT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Hello Fellow Hunters-

I am looking at upgrading my outerwear for hunting that can handle both cold weather and wet weather but not to warm that I will sweat my ass off when hunting on the west side in 40 degree type weather.   I al say dress in layers but my jacket and pants have seen better days and don’t hold up all that great in real wet weather.    Any recommendations for outer gear that isn’t crazy expensive and will act as a good outer layer?    Some gear that is well designed l. Flexible and doesn’t make noise.   Thanks in advance for any recommendations. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Looking to upgrade my hunting clothing to somthing more versatile..
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 05:10:06 AM »
there is no such thing as 100% waterproof and not sweating your ass off gear. there is some better than the others.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 05:29:15 AM »
You wont sweat if you don't move. The fact that rain gear is breathable is not the concept you want. Just get some good rubber rain gear and sit.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 06:38:33 AM »
You will sweat on a hard hike up the mountain, I tend to dress very light in the mornings when I know I'm hitting a hill, I'm cold at the start but after a short while I get comfortable.  If I know its a hill or hike that no doubt I'll be sweating hard, I'll pack another shirt with me, when I get to the highest point, I'll wait till I stop sweating then throw on the new shirt.  But as far as new clothing, I know it's expensive but kuiu has some really nice gear, their undergarments have improved I think and match that of firstlite.  The wool blend shirts and socks will take a lot of sweat without stinking, I've hiked days and miles in kuiu or firstlite socks and they just never stink.  Laying up is the only way to go, but good quality clothing tops it off. Staying dry in a heavy rain, that's a tall order, I try to find a place to sit under good cover, or just know you'll be wet but good clothes will keep you warm and keep the wind off you.  I would stay away from firstlite rain gear systems, I've had them fall apart on me. the Kuiu system has been great but not cheap, maybe buy one piece at a time for rain gear, the Yukon is my go to rain gear, add the pant later and you'll be pretty protected. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 07:15:17 AM »
If it's a day hunt, many times I will take two shirts and two second layers like a light pullover.  Wear one set and bust up the hill sweating and getting rained on.  Keep moving to keep warm.

When you get where you are hunting, cool down then change tops and put your rain shell on and you should be in decent shape.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
Few years back I got a new rain jacket that had the zippers under the arms, made a huge difference for me staying more comfortable on really wet days where I was overheating from moving around.  Don't know the brand just something I found on sale as a outer rain layer.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline _Tyler_

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:07:53 AM »
Pnuma Selkirk Jacket and Selkirk Pants. Used them both on the east side and in a downpour on the west side. Didn’t overheat and stayed 100 percent dry. Most versatile hunting jacket and pant money can buy currently. I didn’t even need to layer.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 05:37:10 AM »
Not saying this is for everyone or even anyone else but I found that the realtree (puffy) coat and bibs that were available at WalMart to be what suits my needs and budget, water repellent, light weight, quiet and warm even in sub zero temps. I believe the coat and trousers were priced at around 55 to 60.00 a piece ( regular price) on sale for around 30.00. Going on 4 years now and still in good shape and serviceable. Found them in the sporting goods area
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand