collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snows....  (Read 4590 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Snows....
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »
Well I just realized the geese I’ve been hearing are cacklers and not snows. Are they technically lesser Canadians?
Posted on the local FB community group.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 12:27:21 PM »
Yeah, cacklers are the smallest but it's a bit muddy as I think they have reorganized and renamed the geese subspecies.  I think cacklers are officially the group of the 4 smallest subspecies.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
Next time you attend the Portland Sportmans show hang around the marsh next to the venue at dusk. You will be amazed at the swarming tornado of cacklers that winter there. They blacken the sky!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 09:58:00 PM »
Not snows.
This is the little lake down the street from my house. This is totally not normal.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline storyteller

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2021, 10:19:59 PM »
Cool video, birds on a mission

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 04:21:50 PM »
 Cool video. Love the colors. I had 4-500 of those on my place for 3 days and nights earlier this week. Went out yesterday morning to maybe shoot one but the water level had came up about 2 feet and that changed everything. They had left in the night at sometime. They were there at 9:30pm Friday night….gone by morning. They sure are noisy.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 04:58:25 PM »
My heart reaches out to the folks that live near the little lake. They shouldn't have to listen to that. State should do something. Heaven forbid a child gets pecked by one of those goose birds.

Offline Guzman

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 09:41:11 AM »

Let me assure you every guide I know is not in favor of the current seasons. We are highly annoyed we can’t hunt them now. Add to it it makes dark goose hunting harder. And late season those birds are insanely hard to hunt in the north basin.

They move around depending on what's on the fields, so there may be more in your area than normal.  In general, there are tons and tons of them.  Most states are trying to encourage additional harvest as the general feeling is they are well over objective.

Most states have extremely loose seasons and limits, even allowing late hunts with high or no bird limits and you can shoot any shotgun (extended mags, no plugs).  Of course, the rules are MUCH different here.   :chuckle:

The wisdom of WDFW is that we close the season on them early (when there are more hunters out in the field) and open a special late season when only guides and outfitters can target them. Science man. Science.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal