collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is Pass shooting on public land a bad thing? Can I do better?  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Jarredhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Is Pass shooting on public land a bad thing? Can I do better?
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:10:39 PM »
FIRST TIME DUCK HUNTER.
I went out on my first duck hunt and got a few ducks by just pass shooting in a zone where ducks were filtered into after others would either spook them or when they were just passing through from area to area. I went out initially with decoys and calls but ended up ditching the idea when I realized I wasn’t good enough to work the ducks into decoys, and with so much shooting going on everywhere was unsure it would even matter…  I WAS FAR BEHIND AND AWAY from everyone else and Though everything seemed fine, I found out on the internet today that pass shooting apparently ruins others hunt by causing more ducks to keep flying and leave the area rather than turn back to others calls or decoys. But the ducks I didn’t shoot at because they were either to far or fast  for a novice kept going on past me to other areas without hesitation to calls from others far away. So am I messing it up for others if I pass shoot? And also how can I decoy ducks if the ducks are spooked form the sounds of shots from everyone else? Also any other info on  unspoken rules of public duck land hunting would be great.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Is Pass shooting on public land a bad thing? Can I do better?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:34:14 PM »
The difference between pass shooting and skybusting in my mind is whether you are regularly hitting and killing them or not.  If you are on one of the big public areas in Snoho/Skagit area, it's pretty much a free for all.  Sure, skybusting moves the ducks around but they will eventually fly by someone else.

If you are taking shots at reasonable distances I wouldn't worry about it.  If you are taking 75 yard shots and going 1/25, there might be some frustrated people around.  Likewise, if you are in an area with only one or two other groups it's usually assumed to be more gentlemanly although not always.

If it's on state land, it's usually a 15 shell limit so that controls skybusting for those observing the rule.

Offline Jarredhs

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 08:21:49 AM »
Do you think there is any point in decoying ducks when there is say two groups already shooting? I know I need a lot of practice before success but is there a point in trying on public land with others?

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »
Do you think there is any point in decoying ducks when there is say two groups already shooting? I know I need a lot of practice before success but is there a point in trying on public land with others?

I have had amazing days with only 5 or 6 decoys out and not calling at all when others have 50 to 100 dekes and are flaring birds with their calling.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 08:29:06 AM »
The two things I will say as far as pass shooting goes in my mind to think about is the distance of shots you are taking and if the birds truly are just passing by. Sky busting or shooting beyond your lethal range is never a good idea. I do know and have hunted with guys who shoot farther than I will but they consistently fold birds at that distance so I don't consider it sky busting. The other aspect has to do with knowing the difference between shooting passing birds and shooting at birds that are working another guy's spread. There is nothing "illegal" about doing the latter but it is more of the ethical thing to do. I have not shot at plenty of birds that I could have hit because I knew they were being worked by another group.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »

I'm with Stein on this. If you find a spot where you're consistently killing ducks by pass shooting...more power to you. If you're just shooting, then it's time to adjust.

Keep in mind that the opening weekend is always a zoo. If you can get back to that same spot on a weekday later in the season, you'll probably have a much better chance at decoying/calling birds without other hunters messing things up.

Offline Basinguy

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 08:40:18 AM »
We call them drivebyes. We setup on points on purpose just to get these birds. It's way more fun and way harder to get them, which is why we like it

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 08:47:24 AM »

I always try to decoy them.  Whether they want to decoy or not is more up to the duck.  Pretty quickly here they will know where all the public land blinds are and then will not readily decoy for the most part.  As new birds move into the area, you will be able to better decoy them, so it all depends on where you are and if the birds you have coming know you are there or not.

You can usually tell by their behavior if you have any chance at decoying or at least taking a slow pass close.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 09:38:11 AM »
We were just about done picking up decoys on a canal once, and a flock of mallards was heading up the canal, pretty high, but not unreasonable, straight on with no intention of circling. As trained, my boys moved to a bush and took a knee, while I sneaked back under a tree. As they approached, maybe 45yd, I smoothly shuffle stepped out and pulled up... I heard my older son say, "No way. Dad?!?!" BOOM! Duck folded immediately! Son said, "Whaaaat!! Whaaaat!!" as the duck hissed to the ground 20 ft from him and bounced with a loud THUMP! He stared in disbelief, then he said, "Oh yeah, you have the 3 and a Halfs!" (I was going to argue shooting skill and trajectory vs payload with his 3"inchers, but I just left it be!)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:42:26 AM by rainshadow1 »
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 10:33:11 AM »
If you think you are skybusting then you probably are. On the other hand I've hunted McNary and have been accused of "skybusting" after shooting a triple that flared off about 25 yds above me. Crazies in the next bliind went ballistic and screamed at me and my buddy that we were shooting them tall. It was golden when one of them with his shotgun in his hands threatened to bodily harm us. I let him know he just committed a crime and they better leave before LEO gets to him. Final note, most hunters do not have a clue how tall the birds are when they are 200 yds away from you and the birds are 30 above you, they will tell you the bird were 100 yds up. But that's my opinion. They No clue whatsoever.
The Europeans love pass shooting birds. They have those huge pheasant and grouse drives.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »
I have a couple of suggestions. 
1 keep a journal. Write down all weather conditions.  Your location and your observations about the birds and where they are traveling.
2 keep you decoy bag light.  My best hunts were with 2 mallards 2 Teal decoys for 2 guys.  I notice lots of small groups of birds in all kinds of weird locations. I dont think they are out of place.
3 learn how to quack. When I was taught that was the first thing i had to learn to do really well. Soft quack. Never seems to have an inappropriate time to use and will take you time before you can do it great.  Later in the season a soft quack is almost exclusively what I use.
4 polish your barrel and pattern it at difference yardages. The below picture represents the diminishing nature of a shot shell. As a component of this learn how to tell distance. If you dont have a good dog those shot cripples wil sail off to become eagle food.

5 JOIN the Washington Waterfowlers Association depending on where you live near Snohomish  the Seattle chapter meets at Kemore, and the NW chapter meets at Twin City Sportsmen Club in Stanwood.  Meetings practice shooting and mentorship.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline JBG

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 11:24:34 AM »
Its not bad per se but it adds to the amount of shooting that you were complaining about that caused your decoy set up to not work.  Like others have said join WWA, and if you arent killing birds pass shooting try decoying them.  On public land and even private land with other hunters on other fields shots will flare birds.  However you will find your moment to decoy birds when others dont shoot.  People hunting around you may flare some birds but it also keeps them from rafting up.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »
1 keep a journal. Write down all weather conditions.  Your location and your observations about the birds and where they are traveling.
2 keep you decoy bag light.  My best hunts were with 2 mallards 2 Teal decoys for 2 guys.  I notice lots of small groups of birds in all kinds of weird locations. I dont think they are out of place.
3 learn how to quack. When I was taught, that was the first thing i had to learn to do really well. Soft quack. Never seems to have an inappropriate time to use and will take you time before you can do it great.  Later in the season a soft quack is almost exclusively what I use.
4 polish your barrel and pattern it at difference yardages. The below picture represents the diminishing nature of a shot shell. As a component of this learn how to tell distance. If you don't have a good dog those shot cripples will sail off to become eagle food.

5 JOIN the Washington Waterfowlers Association.  Depending on where you live near Snohomish the Seattle chapter meets at Kenmore, and the NW chapter meets at Twin City Sportsmen Club in Stanwood.  Meetings practice shooting and mentor-ship.

That poster is based on #5 shot.  I'm assuming that is lead shot........is that right?  You don't usually see #5 steel but #5 lead is what I used back in the day and it was great.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 12:38:21 PM »
3 learn how to quack. When I was taught, that was the first thing i had to learn to do really well. Soft quack. Never seems to have an inappropriate time to use and will take you time before you can do it great.  Later in the season a soft quack is almost exclusively what I use.
4 polish your barrel and pattern it at difference yardages. The below picture represents the diminishing nature of a shot shell. As a component of this learn how to tell distance. If you don't have a good dog those shot cripples will sail off to become eagle food.

5 JOIN the Washington Waterfowlers Association.  Depending on where you live near Snohomish the Seattle chapter meets at Kenmore, and the NW chapter meets at Twin City Sportsmen Club in Stanwood.  Meetings practice shooting and mentor-ship.

That poster is based on #5 shot.  I'm assuming that is lead shot........is that right?  You don't usually see #5 steel but #5 lead is what I used back in the day and it was great.

I was taught the rule of thumb was go up 2shot sizes for steel.

I also recognise this was likely lead 2 3/4"shells. The point is the same. Distance from the bird reduces effectiveness exponentially.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »

I was taught the rule of thumb was go up 2shot sizes for steel.

I also recognise this was likely lead 2 3/4"shells. The point is the same. Distance from the bird reduces effectiveness exponentially.

Right, I just wanted to clarify for those that might be new to duck hunting.  #5 lead and full choke was a good combo back in the day.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan