collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bethel BUll (modern) Tag help. (Success)  (Read 7049 times)

Offline workstohunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Bethel BUll (modern) Tag help. (Success)
« on: October 21, 2021, 08:56:46 AM »
Ok, need a little encouragement from the guys that spend so much time in the area.
Everything has changed from July after the fire. Where I had planned to hunt is closed.
Checked out the oak creek drainage, A Lot of camps going up, so must be elk in the area.
So I guess my question is where would an old man, who hunts by himself focus his attention?
You guys have been pretty generous over the years, so I thought I would pick your brains. Just want to do the tag some justice.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  :tup:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:19:26 AM by workstohunt »

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Bethel BUll (modern) Tag help.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:04:34 AM »
I haven't seen exactly where all is closed and where all is burned but I had the archery tag a few years back. I will see if I can find some maps of updated closure areas to try and locate some areas I scouted that I think survived the fire
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline workstohunt

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:12:48 AM »
Yes, the 1500 is closed at the top of the hill just before the first intersection (4 miles maybe) and it's closed about 1/2 mile in from the Nile side.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 09:39:32 AM »
Sent you a PM

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 08:00:39 PM »
Good Luck, I had to turn in my Q- Archery tag for the Bethel unit :'(. They closed everything above HWY 12 until just recently. Looks as if they have opened things up above HWY 12 up to the Bethel RD. Could be crowded in such smaller area.
Gen:27:3

Offline workstohunt

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 06:27:40 AM »
Yes, they opened it on the 7th. Like you said still a lot closed.
I held out turning mine in, in the hopes it would all open, but going to give it one hell of a shot! Still a lot of area a big bull could hide that I didn't get in to see. Of course.

Offline workstohunt

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »
Got into some elk today. They are smarter than me!

Offline MAVsled

• MAV-HNTR
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/MavHntr
    • MAV's Outdoor Adventures
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 10:51:26 AM »
Ive been camped here since saturday
Best bet is oak creek 1400 road system. That's what dnr-usfs persons told me.

You'll have lots company...but you have 1 of very few "ANY" bull tags.
And you kept your tag. Good luck, fill it with a good bull!!!

This year I'm solo too. Usual hunt pards cancelled out for 2021.
My 53rd year hunting 356-360. Had to adjust hunt area due to fire closure.
And when road signed "Closed to fire interior", they mean it. Was advised by dnr & usfs that big fines for those tickted...and they are patrolling EVERY day!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:40:22 AM by MAVsled »

Offline workstohunt

• Scout
Re: Bethel BUll (modern) Tag help. (Success)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
First, thanks to the ones who offered advice and encouragement.
I will get the story and some pictures in the next couple days.
It was a great hunt and a lot of fun. Not my biggest Bull, but couldn't pass it up after a pretty awesome hunt.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 09:23:32 AM »
First, thanks to the ones who offered advice and encouragement.
I will get the story and some pictures in the next couple days.
It was a great hunt and a lot of fun. Not my biggest Bull, but couldn't pass it up after a pretty awesome hunt.

Congrats, glad to see you were successful! That hunt can be good but it isn’t a gimme by any means, looking forward to the pictures

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 04:26:19 PM »
Great job!!!  Can’t wait to see pics and story. Not a slam-dunk hunt like some think!  I had the same tag last year along with another forum member and we both ate a big bowl of tag-soup!  Once again, congrats!!!!
Zonk Volmer

Offline riverrun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 09:48:11 PM »
That's Awesome! Great to hear you had success!

Offline workstohunt

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 11:04:14 AM »
Had one of the greatest hunts I have ever had in all my 60 years.
I had made an early morning hunt which took 5 hours in some pretty steep ground. Never saw an animal. Headed to an area I had taken a couple hikes in earlier where I had seen some deer. It was going to be a “quick” hike, so I only took my fanny pack with a knife, a water, and a candy bar. I went down a steep hillside into the bottom of a ravine, with a small creek in the bottom, angling up the creek. I got to the bottom and it kind of opened up and looked really good. I crossed the creek and found a rather large game trail that was following an old fire break, so why not check it out. I walked quite a ways and decided to cow call, nothing. Walked another half hour, cow called and nothing again. After 2 hours of walking down hill thinking it should come out somewhere, decided to turn around and head back. Before I headed back thought it wouldn’t hurt to cow call one last time. Immediately was answered by a cow, pretty close within a hundred yards. We bantered back and forth for a while and her calf started mewing as well. The calf got curious and I could see it was moving towards me and pops out at 10 feet right in front of me. Of course it panics and runs off, but the cow didn’t as I had the wind in my favor. While all this was going on, I swore I heard a bull bugle off in the distance, but couldn’t tell if it was my ears ringing or I just wanted to hear a bull. Decided I needed to change positions before she investigates. I move up wind, cow call and immediately above me a bull bugles. I cow call again and get a response from a cow in the direction the bull bugled. So now I know he has cows and probably won’t come to investigate. He bugles again and now cows above me behind me and to the side of me start talking. It gets quite for a while so I bugled again. He lets off the longest bugle I have ever heard and the cows start talking again. Decided I didn’t need to call anymore and just make a move on the bull. I started up the ridge trying to stay hid. I get 50 yards up hill and notice something to my left at 40 yards. It’s a long horned spike. It didn’t see me so I moved right enough to keep out of sight and continued up hill. I get another 50 yards and catch some movement. It’s a cow looking things over and checking the wind. Thought I was busted but had enough crown in the hill she hadn’t seen me. I watched her for 10-12 minutes before she moved, and right behind her was another long horned spike. I knew that wasn’t the bull I had heard. I moved up the hill on my hands and knees to see if that bull was bedded on this flat area 30 yards in front of me, nothing. Crawled up behind a burnt log and waited for something to follow where the other cow had walked. After about 5 minutes, here comes a cow, another cow, another spike, cow, spike, BIG BULL, 2 seconds to decide, BOOM – 30 yards and he humps up. I shot him from my knees! I stand up and walk towards him as he walks up hill shaking his head. Elk running everywhere at 10 yards, but I was focused on the bull. He turned and I put another in behind front shoulder. He drops and now my work begins. It is 4 o’clock and I need to get it gutted, skinned and figure out where I’m at.
After taking care of it the best I could and now it is almost dark. Walked straight up hill about 350 yards and hit the main road. 4.5 miles later I was back at my rig. Went back at daylight, finished quartering it up and 8 trips later had it all out.
This Bull was a battler. He had 2 broken ribs that had healed, a split ear, and a puncture wound in the neck that had healed as well.
I also have to mention I pulled out every good luck charm I had, my Bearpaw Outfitters hat, my Hunting WA- Aaron Blanchard 5k shirt, and used my Dad’s #1 Ruger.

- Attachments and other options

Online 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 11:49:53 AM »
Awesome story and great bull! Well done!  :tup:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 11:55:43 AM »
Damn nice bull. Congratulations.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]