collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1977 muskrat fur receipt  (Read 5137 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: 1977 muskrat fur receipt
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 11:55:42 PM »
Wags couldn’t figure out how to post a pic of some rats he bought in 1977

according to https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

That is $1,057.21 in today's dollar

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 02:30:27 AM »
I remember getting $7.50 for xlg rats. Fur buyers would rent a conference room at the holiday Inn or other motel and all the local trappers would line up to sell their furs. Those were the days..

Yep, I remember it the same. HE Goldberg at the Holiday Inn. Jerry used to come by the house a few times a year as well.
[quote author=wags 

The back story. I was fresh out of high school (1976) and that winter 76/77 I met a couple of big time fur buyers at the Seattle fur exchange. Their company, Silberman Fur Corp where actually the guys who bought fur under the banner of "Sears",
I just found one of my receipt books from when I was buying fur back in 1977. A lot of the guys names I see in it are now long gone, I see other names I vaguely remember. And then I see Marsee. It's good to see some of the guys are still at it.
Mark     
[/quote]

wags, Those were the days!
 I remember at 11 years old, selling my first seasons catch of Muskrats to Irwin Goldberg himself down at his shop on Western Ave in Seattle. ( I still have the tape measure he gave me with the H.E. Goldberg logo on it.)
The Washington State Trappers Association held its own Fur Auctions starting in the 60's, Moscow Hide and Fur and Jerry Campbell from Goldberg's were the main Buyers attending.
 Jerry was kind enough to give me $1.00 for a badly rubbed Western Washington Coyote when I was about 15 years old (the same year I was offered the job of Treasurer for the WSTA.) :chuckle:
I started working at the Seattle Fur Exchange in 1976 (after Trapping Season was over) and soon found that one could make out a lot better, selling to 50 Buyers coming in from around the world to compete in their Fur Auction's.  :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:
 ( I still remember the first time I watched a group of Italian Buyers in their full length Mink Coats, walking across Southcenter Mall from the Double Tree Inn to The Auction House.) Can you say Mafioso?  ;)
Ten years working there as Warehouse Manager certainly gave me a new perspective of the Fur Trade (but also cut into my Trapping Season as it was our busiest time of the year, preparing for our upcoming Auctions.)   :'(

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 02:40:36 AM »
Wag's, Those really were some of the "Hay Days" in the Fur Trade.
At the Seattle Fur Exchange had three main Auctions during the Winter and Spring with a lot of Ranch Raised Mink and Fox to put up along with all the Wild Fur from the lower 48 and Alaska. Here's what the Auction Floor looked like with all the Buyers seated, surrounded by Trappers and Ranchers (watching their furs being sold.) Even Ted Nugent would send us some of his Ranch Raised Mink every year.
 I remember we had a couple of Old School Ranchers from the Midwest who insisted on being paid in cash after each Sale.
 Our treasurer would hand me a couple of packages 4 inches thick and the same size as $100 bills and say "Now take these packages across the street to the Post Office and have them Insured for $40,000 each." (Pretty unnerving to be holding a Farm Family's hard earned wages in your own two hands, having the suspicious Postal Clerk looking cross-eyed at you.)
 This was our Warehouse Crew back in 1978 (I'm the Guy wearing the visor.)
I remember when the Tukwila Fire Department inspected our Warehouse (that was packed with Furs,) they told us if this place ever caught fire they would evacuate everyone "Downwind" and just let it burn, as all that burning Hair would produce a whole lot of Cyanide Gas.  :yike:
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 09:56:28 PM »
I don't know what year I first sent furs to SFE but it was probably about the same time as that photo.
First time I took my furs up I asked for a tour, and it was pretty impressive. I was told they had 7million dollars' worth of fur on the grading room floor and 14 million in the warehouse. It was all wild fur in the grading room and I saw furs from all over that I had never saw before.
I think that was the year they had a rack of sea otter. Lynx, wolves, marten, wolverine, silver fox even ring tailed cats.
Never see those times again.
Later when they weren't selling wild fur but were a receiving agent for North Bay I brought in the largest shipment of wild furs that year from a trapper. At the same time a shipment of 15,000 blue fox showed up. Made my catch feel pretty insignificant. Another time there was truckload of brushtailed possum from NZ when I was there.
Security was very strict in the later years.
Raw furs were one of the leading exports of WA in those days.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Backstrap

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 08:59:14 PM »
We sold to HE Goldberg back in the day, and I remember Jerry well. He gave me a nickel for a weasel pelt one time. He said he’d buy any fur for a fair price. I don’t think I ever caught any more weasels, but I don’t think I’d put one up for a nickel either. Those were the good old days, for sure...
Step once, look twice...

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 11:08:33 PM »
We sold to HE Goldberg back in the day, and I remember Jerry well. He gave me a nickel for a weasel pelt one time. He said he’d buy any fur for a fair price. I don’t think I ever caught any more weasels, but I don’t think I’d put one up for a nickel either. Those were the good old days, for sure...

HA HA, Goldberg cheap as usual. I think it would have been 1969 I had five very small brown weasels. Of course, I put them up as I didn't catch much at the time and every fur seemed neat to me. I put them in an envelope. I'm talking a business letter sized envelope, so you know they were small. I mailed them off to F.C. Taylor Fur Company in St Louis Missouri. I had their catalogue because of course I sent off for every trap supply catalogue that was free. Kind of a wish book.
Anyway, they sent me back a check for $1.25 and a note that said, "Please don't send us anymore weasels." :chuckle:
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76