collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spy Point Micro LTE & Spy Point Cell Link Help  (Read 5162 times)

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Spy Point Micro LTE & Spy Point Cell Link Help
« on: October 27, 2021, 09:30:25 AM »
Looks like there is quite a bit of posts regarding spy points...My questions is more specified towards micro camera or cell link service in the field and the not sending of pictures to the app...

If you are a Spy Point master, can you please message me so I can ask some detailed questions...Having some worries about pics not coming through and the season is a week away...
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Re: Spy Point Micro LTE & Spy Point Cell Link Help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
I can't help other than this year in scouting we placed some cameras in the EXACT same spots as last year (read this as exact same tree) and couldn't get pictures to send all season, last year we had zero issues.
depending on the area im wondering if it had to do with cell towers down due to fires, or something with the server.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
I use the same camera and have had limited problems.  When I have had a problem, I used a few different techniques to remedy the problem. 

1. Check your app and make sure your camera is communicated with it. 
2. Make your camera take a picture or two on the next communication.
3. Set your camera up to send pics twice daily and not every time it takes a picture.
4. Lastly, turn the camera off and back on.   

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 10:01:45 AM »
We have a bit of experience  with these. Been using them on our  property for about 6 months now. We currently have 7 running. What are you having problems with? Have you contacted  Spypoint? We had problems with a couple  cameras and their customer service was fantastic.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline BreezyBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • RMEF Life Member
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 10:21:18 AM »
Also make sure your photo transmission plan isn't past it's maximum, you won't get pictures past your first free 100 if you don't pay for them.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 10:23:42 AM »
I'll just drop here what is going on...I have heard mixed answers...And even from multiple S.P representatives..So it is making feel uneasy...

First off, no where in the instruction guide (with my cameras or cell link at least) did it tell me to long format the SD Cards...A rep told me this later...

I have 2 Micro LTE (Verizon) Cams and 1 Cell Link connected to an older Bushnell Cam.

At home, I first downloaded the app and then inserted 3 new 32gb micro sd cards, 8 AA Lithium Batteries and subscribed to a regular (1,000 pic/month) plan for each. Next I powered the units on, waited for the signal light to stop flashing red and display the solid light (which happened to be orange for two and green for one) not sure why they were different, but on we go...The top right corner on the Micros begin to slowly flash red near the camera, so the count down begins before images start to be taken... (also remember I did not long format the sd cards)... Photos from each cam were being taken of my ugly mug and ceiling etc, coming through to the app just fine. I dialed in my settings on the app for the micro... 2 multi shot, medium sensitivity, send every 2 hours... power off... Also want to add that I purchased two extender antennas (15' of cable with a black cylinder type of antenna unit on top)

Flash forward to 8 days ago, finally have some time about 2.5 weeks before modern season to get down to my hunting area...set out to put the cams up...First christmas tree, I climb up zip tie the antenna as far up as I could, lock the camera down and then pull my phone out... Service is minimal, but I give it a try... 2 restarts later, the light stops flashing and I get a red solid light.. I know not ideal, but this is where I had caught 3 lone bulls last deer season...I didn't want to move the cam... I wait and wait for pics to send (after I changed settings to send immediately to make sure they were coming through)..nothing..so I double check signal light is still solid, it is..And I walk back towards my rig to put up #2...App detected camera with "poor signal"...random pic here and there..maybe 8 total, but nothing more since then...
Camera #2 goes out, same story.. thick brush, on an Elk hwy..scale an alder, antenna up near the tree top canopy, camera set.. 5 restarts, red signal strength light, poor I know, but still signal.. No cell service! I walk back to the rig to see if it would connect, but no avail... I did not want to disturb their trail again, also a primo spot to leave the camera, massive 5x6 seen 2 seasons ago...So I leave it... no pics sent at all.
Camera #3, my bushnell paired with cell link.. off a main line, good orange signal, pics get sent.... walk back to my rig and start glassing.. crap, 3.5 hrs later im heading back home and realize I can only change settings on the bushnell from the unit itself... pic after pic after pic ..too high sensitivity.. my camera died yesterday! luckily have a friend going to pull and swap batteries and move for me!

Question is, even though I did not have good cell service nor camera service in the field, and the fact that I received pics on my phone at home (meaning camera was working with SD cards not being formatted)... Can I expect to see photos on the SD cards when I pull them 2 days before the opener?  Although I'm paying for a plan and bought more expensive cameras that are supposed to work with your phone, its not ideal to not get them on my app....I'm ok if the pics are being taken by the cam in the field and I just have to wait to get them... My stomach is in knots over this.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
Make sure you have the most up to date and current firmware loaded into your camera, makes all the difference in the world.  Also, I have a spot I have used the cameras in for three years, same tree, everything and this year that spot would NOT send photos.  I'm also thinking it has to do with cell towers.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
Can't answer the SD card question as I have never tried to get photos off the SD card.  Your app should show how much memory is on your SD card....if it is full then I would say it has photos on it. 

I also know that the Spy Point Micro LTE cams are very specific to the SD card they like.  Here is a link that may help.....   https://www.spypoint.com/en/blog/41/sd-card-types-classes

Lastly....if your cell service is spotty.....that is most likely your problem.  These cameras are sending fairly large photos files so they need decent service.  my camera is in an area that has fluctuating service quality that ranges from 25% to 75%.  If it is at 25%, I don't expect to see photos....or at least not on the set time they are to be sent. 

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 10:52:25 AM »
Thanks everyone so far for the feedback/info. I was wrong, I have two 16gb cards and 1 32gb (on the cell link)...  Jrebel, so I just checked on my two micro camera status sections..one sd is at 3.5gb out of 16gb and the other is 3.7gb out of 16gb... So even if the photos do not send to my phone, if the camera is working, I will be able to tell by seeing how much usage my sd card is getting? Would you say 3.5gb out of 16gb (in a week time frame), means it is taking some photos? And does the amount of photos it takes come based off the original settings I had it at in my house during set up? Because if its not transmitting to my phone/app..will it still go off the medium sensitivity/ 2 multishot per take.. 10 sec interval.. etc etc.. Or if im not receiving photos at all, will the camera have a stock mode it takes photos?  I just have no idea if 3.5 gb out of 16gb is a lot or not? i have never really paid attention to gb storage, photos, etc on other electronics in the past..

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 11:21:47 AM »
Here is a good reference for storage usage based on file size and megapixel.  Could very based on other factors but will give you an idea.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 01:48:22 PM »
Ok thanks for sharing that! Hoping there will be some animals (bulls specifically) on it!

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 06:59:51 PM »
I just got 3 of the micro LTE and hope to get them up in the next week so this thread is interesting.  What do you mean by long formatting the card?  My cards should be here tomorrow so I can start playing with them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 07:09:43 PM »
I just got 3 of the micro LTE and hope to get them up in the next week so this thread is interesting.  What do you mean by long formatting the card?  My cards should be here tomorrow so I can start playing with them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

All you have to do is format them in the computer before you put them in the camera.  Nothing special.  Make sure you have a good quality and card (see the link above) and you will be fine.

Offline Wet Chicken

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
    • Timothy Anderson
  • Groups: N/A
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 04:41:12 PM »
As for your Cell Link, leave a little slack in the cord when you shut you camera face. If not, I found that my SD card would slightly pull out enough to screw everything up. Follow all the other advice too.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 02:16:12 AM »
These cameras are a bit finicky.  As others have stated. Make sure you running the latest firmware update,lithium batterys and do a long format.  Also type of micro SD card matters as does the size.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]