collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: REVISED Missing Elk hunter-Revised, Gold Creek Rd 1703/Milk Creek  (Read 51305 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: REVISED Missing Elk hunter-Revised, Gold Creek Rd 1703/Milk Creek
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2021, 01:45:44 PM »
RIP, sad deal for his family.

Have to wonder how the heck someone is only 1/2 mile from a vehicle and couldn't be found with all of this machination and media attention.
SAR lay it all out there, they are invaluable, but I have to wonder why bloodhounds couldn't find this man sooner, and if in rugged country at least get scent very near there...it's not surprising that people several miles form a trailhead never get found.

I imagine more details will be released in the coming days, but I can tell you that given the terrain and off-and-on snow cover in the search area, the 7,000-ish man-hours it took to find him is not at all surprising.
The 1/2 mile distance does seem a little surprising. By my calculation a 1/2 mile radius area is about 500 acres which for perspective is about the equivalent of 400 football fields.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Wunderlich33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2021, 03:04:15 PM »
Condolences, RIP

Offline zagsfan1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2021, 03:30:47 PM »
Thoughts and Prayers to his family and the Seattle Fire dept.
LV42DAY!!

Online follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2021, 03:47:46 PM »
I’m glad you’re doing well Mopar. That area is some rugged land. I feel for his family & friends.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2021, 04:32:04 PM »
RIP, sad deal for his family.

Have to wonder how the heck someone is only 1/2 mile from a vehicle and couldn't be found with all of this machination and media attention.
SAR lay it all out there, they are invaluable, but I have to wonder why bloodhounds couldn't find this man sooner, and if in rugged country at least get scent very near there...it's not surprising that people several miles form a trailhead never get found.

I imagine more details will be released in the coming days, but I can tell you that given the terrain and off-and-on snow cover in the search area, the 7,000-ish man-hours it took to find him is not at all surprising.
The 1/2 mile distance does seem a little surprising. By my calculation a 1/2 mile radius area is about 500 acres which for perspective is about the equivalent of 400 football fields.

Yep.  486 football fields, to be exact.  Plus nearly 2,000' of elevation change within that zone, and you can start to see how difficult it would be to find someone. 

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2021, 05:44:16 PM »
I hope I go this way.  Doing what I love.  Every time I go hunting with my dad or an older aquantice I have this thought in the back of my head that I hope I don't have to try and find them after hours if they don't return. I know most people on here have had this thought.  I know this isn't the best thread to post this but it is probably what most are thinking. I am glad they found his body and his family has closure.  RIP!

It is reality. Particularly hunting with ‘older’ folks. The ‘dying while I do what I love’ sounds great to make us feel better, it is not really the case most of the time.
I had a friend that had a heart attack hunting deer in a remote area. Had a buddy with him. It would have been hours to get back to the truck. Took an agonizing hour, but he passed there on the cold ground. I am pretty sure that is not ‘what he loved’. Just sayin’.
We say these things to make ourselves feel better about it, but it is seldom the reality.
Be as prepared as you can realistically be. But know it CAN happen.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »
I have been checking this post daily and hoping I would hear something positive. Finding him is the only positive thing in all this. I am grateful that his family has closure and I hope they are doing good in this rough time. Thank you Big Chief for your service. Rest in Peace sir.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2021, 09:10:48 PM »
I hear ya GWP.  My outlook on the matter is that the actual dying part is going to be brutal 99.9% of the time.  But up to the point that he started dying, he was out enjoying an activity that he loved very much.  It's really hard to ask for more than that.

I hope the family can find a little solace in that.  And solace for those still with us is the only thing that matters now.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2021, 03:40:04 AM »
RIP Chief...

Prayers to his family and friends.
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2021, 04:30:37 PM »
Kittitas County Sheriff -

The body of Deputy Fire Chief Jay Schreckengost was transported home to Seattle today by members of the Seattle Fire Department in Fire Department vehicles. A forensic examination of the Chief ordered by the Kittitas County Coroner revealed numerous injuries including a broken wrist and broken spine. The autopsy concluded the cause of the Chief’s death was multiple blunt force trauma. Further investigation in the field led investigators to believe Chief Schreckengost fell down steep hillside or cliff faces more than once before coming to rest where he was found last Sunday.
It’s known that there was snow on the ground when Chief Schreckengost went scouting for Elk on the morning of Tuesday, 11/2—creating slick conditions in that already rugged and dangerous terrain. The location where he was found was near the bottom of a sharp, broken slope about 700 feet in elevation, north-northeast from the end of spur rd 553 off Forest Service Rd 1703 in the Wenatchee-Okanogan National Forest near Cliffdell. It’s believed the Chief slipped or fell down a part of that slope into terrain where he could neither climb back up nor safely descend. Another fall brought him near the bottom of the slope and caused a fatal spinal fracture.
The area where the Chief came to rest was covered in thick brush and could not be safely navigated by searchers without technical climbing equipment and expertise. The team that located him on the afternoon of Sunday, 11/14, included members of Mountain Rescue Teams from Seattle, Tacoma, Everett and the Olympic and Central Mountain Rescue Teams. These teams of skilled and trained volunteers searched miles of cliff bands in the mountainous area near the Chief’s last known location before finally locating him.
The Mountain Rescue Teams and all the Search and Rescue volunteers who participated were part of a monumental effort including and spurred by the passion of Chief Schreckengost’s fellow Seattle Firefighters. The coordination and commitment of everyone who assisted in the search was a fitting tribute to the Chief, and we hope that his final voyage home provides some comfort to all who loved him.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
Thanks for posting.  Hopefully he was not in pain for long.  RiP and thoughts towards his family.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
Man that's sad.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2021, 05:29:17 PM »
May he watch over the other hunters in the area in the future. It sure would be pretty neat to see one of the people who knew him be able to shoot a big billy or bull up there in his honor.

Online follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2021, 06:06:36 PM »
There is some brutally tough country there. I pray his family & friends can find peace.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]