collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crabbing off a kayak in SW Washington?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline seifer8044

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Crabbing off a kayak in SW Washington?
« on: November 07, 2021, 09:43:18 AM »
Just moved from northern Washington down to southern Washington and I'm trying to figure out good spots for Dungeness crab off of a kayak. I know a lot of folks drop pots at the mouth of the Columbia but with the potential for quick, dramatic changes in tides, current, wind, etc, I'd rather start off with a more stable and safe area since I'm crabbing off of my wilderness systems tarpon 105 kayak.

I'm wondering if people have recommendations for crabbing spots ~2hrs away from Vancouver, WA. How far up the Columbia do Dungeness go? How's the crabbing in Chetlo harbor or in south Willapa bay? I went out in Nehalem bay in OR and it was great, but I'd rather not have to buy shellfish/angling licenses for 2 states.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Crabbing off a kayak in SW Washington?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 09:48:20 AM »
I would be looking at Oregon bays.  I'm not a kayaker, but the mouth of the Columbia is not where I would be taking one if I was.

Plenty of crab in Oregon, better regs and the license isn't very expensive.  Tillamook & Netarts are easy drives and fun places to spend time.  Depending on whether you want open water or not, plenty of coastline as well.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 02:54:16 PM »
Illwaco or Chinook?

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 12:34:41 PM »
Best bet is probably taking your kayak down to a bay in Oregon. Tillamok/garibaldi, netarts are probably your best bets and are about 2hrs away down hwy 26.  Can also dig bay clams on negative tide days and just beach your kayak to get to the spots people don't want to venture far into for them. Call the sporting goods store down in Tillamok for a crab report they're are usually willing to help.

Offline seifer8044

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 06:30:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I should probably steer away from SW Washington kayak crabbin and just bite the bullet to get the out of state shellfish license for OR.

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 01:41:57 PM »
A good option for the Washington side is Westport. Decent crabbing and your protected from the ocean swell and much of the wind right outside of the boat basin.

Online Mech

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 03:57:19 PM »
I can’t give you any advice on where to go down south but I crab off a kayak up north.
Have you crabbed off a kayak before?
If you have any questions toss me a line.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal