collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain Quail  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
Mountain Quail
« on: November 07, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »
Has anyone tried for these elusive birds?  :hello:  :yike:
I am informed to try Kitsap and Mason Co. 2 birds a day with a Possession limit of 6.. GOOD LUCK lots of F.S. roads just park and get that dog out! These birds are really spooky as well.. :yike:
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Mountain Quail
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 11:52:30 AM »
I hunted them with a friend about 20 years ago near Shelton. We never saw any, but my friend had seen a covey he thought were Mountain quail a week or two earlier.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 06:56:11 PM »
That is decent intel. Years ago, when I hunted the release sites there was a meeting every year prior to the start of pheasant season the Peninsula Bird Hunters (Mason county release sites) with the local game warden and DNR rep. The "old guys" all cornered the two of them after the meeting and wanted the latest in grouse and mountain quail in the area. Having lived on the Kitsap Peninsula my whole life I can say there are birds around, I have seen them but never hunted them. I would start in poorly cleaned up clear cuts, that seems to be the best habitat for them. Good luck!

Offline Sundance

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 07:38:03 PM »
I have seen them semi consistently in areas of Kitsap county. I always thought they were so cool and such a small bag limit I never hunted them. Really cool birds to see in the wild. Some years ago I was at the Defiance/Arima boat building facility on the hill above the Bremerton airport (where the Amazon warehouse is now). There were mountain quail hanging out in the parking lot there!

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 11:12:00 AM »
I have seen them semi consistently in areas of Kitsap county. I always thought they were so cool and such a small bag limit I never hunted them. Really cool birds to see in the wild. Some years ago I was at the Defiance/Arima boat building facility on the hill above the Bremerton airport (where the Amazon warehouse is now). There were mountain quail hanging out in the parking lot there!

I agree, I raise them but have never hunted them. Absolutely love seeing them. Last ones I saw in the wild were off of Old Clifton by Sunnyslope.

Offline merkelman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »
Cali Bird!  Yes there are some in Kitsap. Good
Luck!

Online kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 07:28:42 AM »
I have seen some on Bangor but that's the only time in 20 years of hunting Kitsap I've seen them.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 07:31:55 AM »
Had one fly over my suburban in union yesterday. I’ve seen them pretty consistently and even eaten one!
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 10:32:19 PM »
Soo great to hear some are seeing where I stated in 20 counties open during the short season... :hello:
If one Is wanting to really get serious go south to the Oregon Westside Cascades
Limit is 10 per day/bag is 30... :yeah:
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal