collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you think about the Garmin Reactor system?  (Read 954 times)

Offline Boot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
What do you think about the Garmin Reactor system?
« on: February 01, 2022, 03:49:54 PM »
Anyone running the new Garmin Reactor 40 system on their kicker? Looking at making some upgrades to my boat this year and thinking about adding this system. I have hear mixed reviews.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: What do you think about the Garmin Reactor system?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 05:17:43 PM »
A buddy has it on his 20' ProV. hasn't used it a lot because life gets in the way. The time he has no complaints. I thought about one. Didn't want the added $$$. I have an I pilot that works almost as well :twocents: GL :tup:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 05:36:56 PM »
Complete game changer.  I knew it would be nice but I was amazed at how much more effective I can fish with it.  Very expensive but worth every penny.  Not the easiest install but it's awesome.

Offline Benny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
They aren’t a TR1. Quite a few issues between me and my buds. I’ve replaced my steering actuator twice, linkage once and remote twice. Not user error. The worm drive sounds good in theory but it’s working hard.

I would suggest keeping the gain down low always and not overworking the worm drive. Also, if you have a Yamaha kicker and will be running in the salt you really need to install a stainless steel tilt tube. Otherwise the rod will lock up tight.

Still waiting for a season without issues but it hasn’t happened yet.

Offline Boot

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 06:09:38 PM »
Benny, you just brought up all of the concerns I have from what i have researched. Seems like if the system is working well, its a game changer. But then hear feedback from folks that are having issues with the system running like it should. I’m trying to talk myself into it but man its a lot to shell out for something if it doesn’t work.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 06:27:59 PM »
I've heard the same thing, works or it doesn't.  I've talked to two guys and can say 100% their problems are installation and program related.  It takes a while to program and get set up, like mentioned if you don't have it programmed right it will flip left and right constantly in waves or wind (like the old TR1's you would see at B10).  If the compass isn't installed correctly it will do wonky things as it assumes it's in a place it isn't.

Another thing is not getting the steering tube in right and not getting the linkage set up right.  If there is any binding it won't work well.  Stainless is a must for salt water.

I don't know how many hours I have on mine, probably 100 conservative and the only problem I had was when I got too much fish slime in the remote and one of the buttons was sticking.  That was fixed with soap and water.

It's not plug and play, they are designed to be installed and programmed by a dealer, so if you are going to DIY, set aside a day to install and an entire day at the lake and verify in wavy and windy conditions.  There is a separate dealer menu you need to access to get at the settings you need to adjust.  I have a degree in electrical engineering and it took me a while to install and program it to my boat.  That said, once done it's flawless and entirely predictable.

It's a big system, most of the parts are the same across any boat and they are used in all kinds of motor yachts and sailboats.  The kicker actuator and throttle are the only unique things.  The display, both boxes, network and remote are common amongst any size boat.

I would say if you are looking for something plug and play, go with the electric bow mount.  For me, that made zero sense but I know guys that use them and like them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]