collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice on New Rifle  (Read 11915 times)

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: Advice on New Rifle
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 07:54:28 PM »
My vote would be a savage storm 110 in 308, 7-08 or 6.5 CM

W/ Leupold VX 5 3-15x44

But there is lots of good info on here.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 07:57:23 PM »
For what you're describing, a Tikka or some variation of a Browning X bolt with a Zeiss v4 4-16 would be really tough to beat. Both are great rifles, the x bolt are a little more refined looking but they are both awesome shooters. Tikka has a little better trigger. The v4 demo's can be had for under 800 on Redhawk, the ones we've ordered have been brand new quality
this right here except personally I wouldn't even entertain the browning. I do a lot of load workups for a lot of rifles. Enough tikkas where I've lost count of how many ive done and ive never had one that wouldn't shoot under moa. Not internet moa either. Actual consistent and repeatable moa.

Have you loaded Berger 180 VLDs using H1000? Norma brass. CCI250 primers. Asking for a friend we are going to start for his gun

Twist is on the slow side for those bullets and you're going to eat up a bunch of case capacity seating them to mag length unless you plan on single feeding or getting aftermarket bottom metal...
basically this. Its on the low side but still adequately stable in a 9.5 twist.  Ive always loaded the 168's in the 7 mags just due to magazine length restrictions.

Ok ya that makes sense then. Bullets are hard to come by and i have the Bergers now
I'd load em up and give em a shot. Stuff em down to mag length and do an OCW test. Bet there is accuracy in there somewhere. Bergers like a jump anyways  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 08:05:25 PM »
Since hammer's not here to say it I will...never driven a Tikka I liked... :chuckle: they just seem cheap. Can't get past that..

But..

Allot is personal preference based on fit, feel and finish. Go handle a few different guns and see what you like... everything mentioned will shot better than most people are capable of. I'm an xbolt fan myself.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 08:11:02 PM »
My buddy bought one with the rough tech stock I think it’s called. It didn’t feel cheap to me like an American predator or something. But it’s no manners or McMillan 😂. Manners makes a stock for the tikka though. Close to building a custom at that point

Offline coyotecrazy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2021, 08:18:40 PM »
VX-5 HD 3-15x44
Tikka or Browning Xbolt
👍👍

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2021, 07:57:30 AM »
I have so many things to research now. Thank you all once again!

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2021, 09:26:54 AM »
Since hammer's not here to say it I will...never driven a Tikka I liked... :chuckle: they just seem cheap. Can't get past that..

X2   Ive looked at them several times because of all the hype and Ive never gotten beyond the quick look and hand it back because of the cheapness of it.   :twocents:

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2021, 09:56:35 AM »
I currently own two Tikkas and just helped sight in another.
They just flat shoot, smooth actions, not picky on ammo, lightweight, great triggers....
If you don't like the stock, there are plenty of ways to address that but you start with a fantastic platform for @$700.
I would look at Zeiss Conquest, Burris Veracity(really nice but heavy), Something in the 3-15X category.
Of the two cartridges you're considering, I'd choose 308 but I own Tikkas in 300WSM and 7-08 and love them.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:11:00 AM by thinkingman »
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2021, 11:58:42 AM »

X2   Ive looked at them several times because of all the hype and Ive never gotten beyond the quick look and hand it back because of the cheapness of it.   :twocents:

That's like saying you didn't buy Gal Gadot another drink at the hotel bar because your didn't like her choice of shoes and earrings. 

The accessories are disappointing, sure - but I'm going to take her to the range interested mainly in her performance...  And word on the street is she can really perform.  If she makes me happy, we can go shopping for new accessories for her.

The gun, that is.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
 :chuckle: and use proper protective gear when you take her to the range

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2021, 12:11:26 PM »
She identifies as a rifle.
But

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
I don't know what we are talking about anymore but man I've got the urge to shoot guns and watch Justice League :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2021, 12:18:06 PM »
I don't know what we are talking about anymore but man I've got the urge to shoot guns and watch Justice League :chuckle:

Rifle's,women, and accessories....not necessarily in that order...keep up man.. :chuckle:

Good thing my rifle's and my wife came factory how I wanted them.... otherwise sounds really expensive.. :yike:

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »
It helps if Travis has already worked up a load as well.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »

Rifle's,women, and accessories....not necessarily in that order...keep up man.. :chuckle:

Good thing my rifle's and my wife came factory how I wanted them.... otherwise sounds really expensive.. :yike:
I like my rifles way fancier than my women  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal