collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Breeds for upland  (Read 10289 times)

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Breeds for upland
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2021, 11:47:43 AM »
Read up on pudelpointers. Extremely versatile, can do it all!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »
Ive had 2 chessies. They are great duck dogs but nerver did very good on uplands. One of my hunting partners run German Wire hair Pointers. Great all round hunting dog. If i moved to EWa i would have one or 2. Grat uplands dog and good waterfowl hunters. I think more challenging to train up for duck to sit still but they find cripples in the brush like a machine.

Not super common in the PNW so you would likely have to search hard for a litter. I know of a couple that are planned for after season. I have hunted the release site with his 2 GWP after the feild has been marched with6 labs and 8 shooters.  We kicked up and killed 2 birds5 min after they were gone. Drathars are the German registration.

Additionally I have a friend in AK that waterfowl, permanent, and snow shoe hair hunts with his.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 12:29:41 PM »
It’s tough to beat labs & goldens for all around hunting, especially in the late season. The guy I hunt with has a griffon, and that dog is a pheasant finding machine. We were out about a month ago & he pointed over 50 birds. These were wild birds on a farm. Hell even fetch downed birds of any type from the water. Late season is tougher for him though, because he’s relatively small & has a light coat.

Bottom line- there are a lot of great dog breeds. The key with any of them is time on birds. And match their strengths with how you like to hunt.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »
Thanks for all the information so far. This is a great starting point for me. There are quite a few breeds in here that were not on my radar that I will need to research.

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »
I live in Spokane and hunt mostly upland.  I wanted a mix of two pure breds, so I was watching for a litter like that and when my wife told me that a local guy had a Lab/Springer mix, I jumped at it and got a smaller female.  I like the mix, she is athletic and smaller so fits anywhere, can swim well and has a lab type coat so she stays warm.  Great in the field and in the house.  We had golden retrievers growing up and they were awesome dogs but I didn't quite want that full size dog.  It also seemed like all the purebreds we had over the years had genetic issues and cancers take them away too soon.  The mixed breeds have great genetic strength in my opinion.  Like someone said before me, a good dog can become a great dog if they're trained a bit and can get some time on the birds.  We can't expect much out of them if we go out once a year.  Makes me want to get another dog!!  :)

Offline Gettin Birdie

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 03:28:27 PM »
I would say Golden's if you're gonna hunt both upland and waterfowl, but I am partial to them as I have one and have my whole life, but I only hunt upland.  Like Rutnxnbulls said, they do have health problems and I've had to put two down at 7 & 8.5 due to cancer, so with the last one I got, I made sure to ask about that and look into their pedigree, got him from Lokidog, so due your research if going that way.  My dad has 2 Brittany's and they are good hunters, got the boy from Dayton, WA. & good family pets.  I'm sure that you can't go wrong with any other breeds listed really though, and it is part of a personality/what you find appealing thing.  Good luck, Golden's are hard to beat for family dogs/disposition.   

Offline shootem

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2021, 08:44:19 PM »
Check out Boykin Spaniels. They do everything any retriever does, is smaller, and great in the home. They don’t shed much either. That said I’ve got a lab too. I love them both and both will fit your interests. The Boykin handles the heat better. The lab does better in the cold. 

Offline limpy4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 06:14:00 PM »
The American water spaniel can do it all also. My male was bred a little bigger for goose hunting and I've had my male and female covered in ice and still wanting in the water.
They can do everything a lab can do. For upland hunting their noses have got to be the best, they amaze me every hunting trip.

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2022, 11:24:03 PM »
Irish Red Setter! A versitile Dog indeed!
In this area state too many "typical" breeds here...
The Small Munsterlander & Irish RED setter will doo the job. One must NOT be a couch/internet addictive person.. though...
 Are You looking for a POINTER or A Flusher ( if wanting a flusher, you'd better be ready to RUN!)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:30:11 PM by Lady Grouse hunter »
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 01:02:04 AM »
Plenty to choose from. As was said, look at the attribute’s to narrow it down what will work for you.
We have owned (own one now) and trained GWP’s, but there are traits that won’t work for everybody. They ‘generally’ are fanatical hunters of fur or feather with no quit, injured or not, and if it happens to be in the water, even better.
Without consistent training (never really stops) they have been known to kill cats, or any fur critter, and once they get into that mode it can be difficult to break them of it.
I have wanted to try a ‘Pointing Lab’, and have hunted with people that had them. Pretty sure any Lab would be a good upland dog with training, but most only use them for waterfowl, and train that way.
Best of luck!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 07:24:54 AM »
I got my first Chessy at the age of 16. On my 4th now. All have been great upland dogs. My current pup is 2yo, and she started dove hunting this past season. Mine have just seemed understand the task. Had a lot of great hunts behind a brillo butt...
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline UplandSetter

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association, Upland Journal
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2022, 09:52:40 AM »
I will second the recommendation of the Boykin. Great all-around dogs and I have some trusted upland friends who have hunted with them. Kind of depends if you care whether or not it points though, they're more of a flushing breed. Great for retrieving waterfowl or upland game though, and being a spaniel they'll be a great fit for having an on/off switch especially with your acreage.

I'm an English setter guy personally and wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't give them a plug though. Definitely an upland specific breed but they're great dogs. My setter is old school though and doesn't retrieve worth a lick ;D
Just need an English setter and a good pair of boots

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 10:45:48 AM »
I got my first Chessy at the age of 16. On my 4th now. All have been great upland dogs. My current pup is 2yo, and she started dove hunting this past season. Mine have just seemed understand the task. Had a lot of great hunts behind a brillo butt...

X2
On my 4th as well.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2022, 02:08:25 PM »
I have Large Munsterlanders. wonderful dogs, point/ love water.. great temperament and exceptionally smart!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2022, 12:03:03 PM »
ALL of these dogs listed just Stink the house up!!!  Wet coats and ALL!
Setters have a coat that does NOT STINK!!!
Wirehairs, Griffon's, Labs, Chessie's,  Boykins ALL STINK will Ruin ones Couch, Carpets, :yike:
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal