collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why late archery?  (Read 7353 times)

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Why late archery?
« on: November 21, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »
Can't attest to any other units, but I can't understand why a late archery hunt in 121. As most who hunted it noted, whitetail numbers in this unit were down rather dramatically this year.  I can't believe that another 20 days of being chased during the height of the rut is a good thing.  Don't suspect the hunter success will be terribly high, but just having more hunters in the field disturbing and chasing during the rut is not helpful.  Just my opinion

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Why late archery?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 12:11:05 PM »
I’m more bothered by antlerless harvest.  No idea if that still includes that, but you have antlerless harvest for 65 and older antlerless harvest for 18 and under, antlerless harvest for veterans, antlerless harvest for disability, antlerless harvest for those with covid, antlerless harvest for all the illegals that were separated at the border, antlerless harvest for….And then second, and third and maybe now fourth tags.  Mind blown. 

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 12:23:39 PM »
I’m more bothered by antlerless harvest.  No idea if that still includes that, but you have antlerless harvest for 65 and older antlerless harvest for 18 and under, antlerless harvest for veterans, antlerless harvest for disability, antlerless harvest for those with covid, antlerless harvest for all the illegals that were separated at the border, antlerless harvest for….And then second, and third and maybe now fourth tags.  Mind blown.

:yeah:

There shouldnt be any Mule Deer Doe harvest period. Wa is the worst managed Western State

Except for Colockum Elk. Its the only thing they have done right for the most part
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 12:25:18 PM »
You may see a change next year but not this year, too late for that.  You may also see late modern buck go permit if not gone period.  No doe permits for anyone imho. Baldo, only thing I will say is archery hunting late whitetail (anytime actually) is almost entirely sitting on your behind in one fashion or another over a bait pile.  No chasing involved.  Look for everything to change by next year when I suspect baiting goes by the way side in the name of CWD.  Success rates will plummet to all time lows because of no bait and low numbers.    :twocents:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »
...and no tags sold

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
...and no tags sold

And that right there is THE ONLY thing that will promote change at wdfw.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 12:32:05 PM »
I almost think we are beyond that.  They’ll just tax something else.   Game populations ruined so badly, no need for hunting period. 

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »
I totally agree with that.. Don't know about the west side units, but don't know of any east side units that can support or need an antlerless hunt. Pure and simply, if you want/need to bring back a herd, you quit shooting the does.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »
I can’t believe the sentiment of hunters and the ammo we continue to give Wdfw and /or antis to shut down all hunting opportunity.   

Blows my mind!!

When not just start a petition to take away all opportunities…….period??!!

What is the success rate in the late archery???  Anyone take the time to look?   What’s the difference between someone that filled tags in the early season vs someone that wants to fill them in the late season. 

And for curious minds…..121 late archery is “buck only”, no youth does, no 65 / older does, no dissolved does, no special permit does and no second deer tags given out. 

For heavens sakes guys…..stop giving the anti hunting group, to include our Wdfw more ammo to shut things down.   

If you want to chase deer in the late season have at it.   If you want it shut down, do your part and stop hunting in the general season too.    :bash: :bash:

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 01:48:42 PM »
I can’t believe the sentiment of hunters and the ammo we continue to give Wdfw and /or antis to shut down all hunting opportunity.   

Blows my mind!!

When not just start a petition to take away all opportunities…….period??!!

What is the success rate in the late archery???  Anyone take the time to look?   What’s the difference between someone that filled tags in the early season vs someone that wants to fill them in the late season. 

And for curious minds…..121 late archery is “buck only”, no youth does, no 65 / older does, no dissolved does, no special permit does and no second deer tags given out. 

For heavens sakes guys…..stop giving the anti hunting group, to include our Wdfw more ammo to shut things down.   

If you want to chase deer in the late season have at it.   If you want it shut down, do your part and stop hunting in the general season too.    :bash: :bash:
Has nothing to do with anti's vs hunters. Watched Utah years ago continue down the hunter opportunity route and finally figure out they had decimated many herds. Many units had to be closed entirely and reopened on a limited draw basis only. Now there are virtually no OTC deer permits and late hunts and antlerless hunting are very limited. Nothing will cause hunting to disappear quicker than hunters coniunesly eating tag soup.  Managing the deer herds correctly is foremost, supposedly hunting is a tool for that and the major justification for hunting

Offline buggy

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 02:24:53 PM »
I've seen several members suggest more restrictions (less tags, no doe tags, point restrictions, etc) over the last few years. While I agree that something needs to be done to help herds my fear is that it's a one way street. I'm relatively young and no I haven't done any research yet (sorry) but I'm curious if anyone remembers a time where they increased opportunity after a herd recovered?

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 02:43:52 PM »
Yes, as I stated previously Utah went from complete.closures to reopening, albeit on permit basis. Bad from the point of view that the big family groups seemed to disappear when only one or two members drew, but good from a deer herd recovery basis.  With the herd numbers in some of the units what they are, we are only a hard winter away from a complete disaster. 

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 05:34:10 PM »
I don't disagree that something needs to be done, but to just pick a user group and suggest that is the problem and will fix our deer numbers is a false narrative.  If that was the case and we thought eliminating one of the the user groups opportunity....we should just eliminate all rifle hunting seasons being that is the largest user group that hands down kills the majority of animals.....maybe not from a percentage standpoint but definitely as it pertains to total number of deer being shot.

From now on, Washington should be a primitive weapon state.  I would vote for that long before I ever agree to giving up more opportunity.  Less animals would be killed and at least the tradition of hunting with family and friends would remain intact. 

I understand what you saying about 121 and the blue tongue damage this year.  Reality is the late bow season will not change how long it takes these deer to recover.  The deer that died from blue tongue are....well dead.  The ones that weren't effected are very healthy and very much alive.  The pressure of bow hunters will undoubtedly be the same as it has been every year during this hunt.  Less animals will be killed due to the smaller number of animals to harvest.  The sun will rise and fall and next year will bring a new hunting season.  Harvest numbers will remain low as the heard rebuilds and with any luck and a little bit of actual give a F&*& from out game department, we will have a healthy heard again in the years to come. 

As a disclaimer:::

I also rifle hunt so my suggestion of taking away that user groups opportunity is said in gest. 

I also spend about 25-35% of my year in 121 and have not seen the decline of numbers in my general area.  Our heard has remained very healthy and strong.  Our does are as fat as they have been and we have had a great fawn year with most does having twins. 

I see the predator problem in 121 being a far bigger problem than any hunting.  I have at least 5-6 cougars that roam my property throughout the year and have pictures of at least 18 different bears this spring.  We have killed 4 bears off the property and it won't put a dent in the population....OHHHHH AND NOW THERE IS NO SPRING SEASON FOR 2022!!!  Where does the problem lie??   :bash: :bash: :bash:

At the end of the day, I am tired of surrendering opportunity to out state because we feel a few bow hunters are going to kill all the deer.....that simply is not the case.  If people were truly that concerned, blue tongue was in full swing long before the rifle season started....and the locals would not have shot the buck they did, to then now be appalled that bow hunters now get to hunt a season that has existed for a decade or longer. 

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 05:48:09 PM »
I don't disagree that something needs to be done, but to just pick a user group and suggest that is the problem and will fix our deer numbers is a false narrative.  If that was the case and we thought eliminating one of the the user groups opportunity....we should just eliminate all rifle hunting seasons being that is the largest user group that hands down kills the majority of animals.....maybe not from a percentage standpoint but definitely as it pertains to total number of deer being shot.

From now on, Washington should be a primitive weapon state.  I would vote for that long before I ever agree to giving up more opportunity.  Less animals would be killed and at least the tradition of hunting with family and friends would remain intact. 

I understand what you saying about 121 and the blue tongue damage this year.  Reality is the late bow season will not change how long it takes these deer to recover.  The deer that died from blue tongue are....well dead.  The ones that weren't effected are very healthy and very much alive.  The pressure of bow hunters will undoubtedly be the same as it has been every year during this hunt.  Less animals will be killed due to the smaller number of animals to harvest.  The sun will rise and fall and next year will bring a new hunting season.  Harvest numbers will remain low as the heard rebuilds and with any luck and a little bit of actual give a F&*& from out game department, we will have a healthy heard again in the years to come. 

As a disclaimer:::

I also rifle hunt so my suggestion of taking away that user groups opportunity is said in gest. 

I also spend about 25-35% of my year in 121 and have not seen the decline of numbers in my general area.  Our heard has remained very healthy and strong.  Our does are as fat as they have been and we have had a great fawn year with most does having twins. 

I see the predator problem in 121 being a far bigger problem than any hunting.  I have at least 5-6 cougars that roam my property throughout the year and have pictures of at least 18 different bears this spring.  We have killed 4 bears off the property and it won't put a dent in the population....OHHHHH AND NOW THERE IS NO SPRING SEASON FOR 2022!!!  Where does the problem lie??   :bash: :bash: :bash:

At the end of the day, I am tired of surrendering opportunity to out state because we feel a few bow hunters are going to kill all the deer.....that simply is not the case.  If people were truly that concerned, blue tongue was in full swing long before the rifle season started....and the locals would not have shot the buck they did, to then now be appalled that bow hunters now get to hunt a season that has existed for a decade or longer.

Thank you
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 05:51:59 PM »
The Mule deer problem and white tail problem are NOT the same. I understand there is an argument to be made about limiting MD tags as they have been in decline for quite some time.

The white tail problem we have this year is a disease issue that happens from time to time…WT WILL make a comeback as they always do. They were doing just fine in most units until this year. Take a deep breath…it will all work it’s self out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]