collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Smoker Recommendation's?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Smoker Recommendation's?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 04:30:42 PM »
48" electric masterbuilt with the remote control. Don't get the one with the window. Pia to keep clean.

This is what I have ( with Bluetooth) I don’t bother with the window. Works great for everything, fish, birds, prime rib…Even cold smoking cheese.

I’ve had the same for 4? years. Works great, no issues yet.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 04:43:19 PM »
I was under the impression all the cool people have a Traeger?  :dunno: Everyone I know who gets one puts their nose in the air when they talk about it.

Traeger doesn’t make box smoker and definitely doesn’t make a smoker that does pucks.  I was under the impression the op was looking for a smoker only and not a grill. 

For what it’s worth, I love my traeger.

Definitely wasn't a dig at anyone Jrebel. I am not experienced in any commercial smokers. I just know they are popular but I question what makes them better or what the draw is as opposed to a green mountain, pit boss, or Bradley etc. I have built my own several times and recently picked up half of a 500 gallon steel propane tank to make a new one. I'm thinking vertical with a door in it and plumb the smoke in from a separate box for cold smoke. I wanna start doing my own cheese. I love smoked cheese!

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 04:45:40 PM »
Yes..stand alone.. I've got my preference for BBQ-in...

Still leaning smokin tex... American made..
I've looked into the masterbuilt and see mixed reviews... definitely an option. Thanks for the input.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 05:38:51 PM »
I was under the impression all the cool people have a Traeger?  :dunno: Everyone I know who gets one puts their nose in the air when they talk about it.

Traeger doesn’t make box smoker and definitely doesn’t make a smoker that does pucks.  I was under the impression the op was looking for a smoker only and not a grill. 

For what it’s worth, I love my traeger.

Definitely wasn't a dig at anyone Jrebel. I am not experienced in any commercial smokers. I just know they are popular but I question what makes them better or what the draw is as opposed to a green mountain, pit boss, or Bradley etc. I have built my own several times and recently picked up half of a 500 gallon steel propane tank to make a new one. I'm thinking vertical with a door in it and plumb the smoke in from a separate box for cold smoke. I wanna start doing my own cheese. I love smoked cheese!

No offense taken….I think traeger at one point was the brand to beat.  As smokers gained in popularity, others got in the game.  Smokers are quite simple so anyone can make one. The competition has made traeger step up their game.  Most major manufacturers are competitive now. 

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 06:17:57 PM »
I've had a masterbuilt for about 6 years now.  It replaced my Big Chiefs, that used to work ok, but pain in the butt during the fall/winter.  My masterbuilt has a window, I got that model because it was the one on sale black Friday.   I don't use the window for looking through so I don't worry about keeping it clean.  It's done a fantastic job for me.  I also have a Rec Tec grill that I smoke on too and is awesome.  You couldn't pay me to go back to a big or little chief smoker.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 06:26:14 PM »
I had a master built chest style...loved it but the brain on top died and I said screw it and got a Green Mountain pellet grill/smoker. Different animals but both made everything I wanted and done perfectly and I am no expert on how to do it. I just followed the directions. The Green Mountain is nice because it serves double duty as a grill. Not a competition smoker guy but everyone loves what comes off of it...and I have never had an issue with it. FYI I did not do the WiFi model because I love to hang out on the porch and watch it from time to time...I know weird   :rolleyes:

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »
luv the smokin tex. set the temp and go away. expensive, but it is a one time buy. i find i use more often due to the simpicity of it. Good luck

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2021, 07:42:53 PM »
I have had to many smokers to count. Most were home made. All have put out great product once I did my part.
I now have two Bradley smokers. The first I bought in 2006 is an original 4-rack. The second is a 6-rack digital I bought in 2017. The old unit is setup with the smoke generator on a six ft. Hose for cold smoking. I have gotten spoiled with the set and forget it. I use I-Grill remote temp sensors I monitor on my iPhone. There is no reason to open the smoker until done.
I have many proven recipes and notes of what worked and what did not work, repeating what you like is easy.

There are so many good smokers on the market now, you really can’t go wrong as long as you have a proven recipe and the correct temp and time settings, you will get good product.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline TommyH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2021, 08:57:38 AM »
+1 for the masterbuilt. Love mine, wish it was a bit wider tho.

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2021, 08:27:08 PM »
My wish list is a Cookshack Fast Eddy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech