collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Urban areas  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Meattoeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Urban areas
« on: November 28, 2021, 05:19:23 AM »
Feel free to PM me and put me on blast if I give out to much info, but I’m at a loss as to what that next step is here.

I keep hearing people mention archery hunting urban areas, and I have my multi tag and am getting into archery so I’ve been looking into it. Problem is I’m struggling getting info on what government properties are legal.

Obviously private is out unless you have permission.

I’m on the west side and I see a few pockets some are like 100 acres some are even smaller of everything from Washington fish and wildlife properties to like pierce county public works, to parks department. Or just Washington state lands. But I can’t get an answer to save my life of if it’s huntable or not.

I’ve checked the pierce/thurston counties shooting regs and maps, but bows shouldn’t ever really be an issue if I’m not mistaken.

Just don’t want to get caught with my pants down because I’m parked on the side of a road, in “town” hunting a piece of wdfw land or public works.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Urban areas
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 05:23:57 AM »
Urban archery hunting is as much hunting the spot as the deer. You need to dive into county codes and such for legality.
parking is also another huge issue where you park and what you drive can determine if you have hunters in the spot later or if the place gets closed to hunting. Good Luck!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 05:35:40 AM »
Urban archery hunting is as much hunting the spot as the deer. You need to dive into county codes and such for legality.
parking is also another huge issue where you park and what you drive can determine if you have hunters in the spot later or if the place gets closed to hunting. Good Luck!

I didn’t even think of the parking and it highlighting that someone’s hunting there.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 06:13:05 AM »
One thing to keep in mind with parking is it might not be hunters parked there it could be the influx of frigging hikers with their yap yap dogs which is getting to be a problem even in rural areas. Hikers are getting to be like cockroaches in the south, no place is safe or free of them

Noted in this area anyhow you can tell the hikers vehicles as they are more often than not the rice burners and don't have a vehicle access Pass or Discover pass.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:15:03 AM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 06:47:14 AM »
One thing to keep in mind with parking is it might not be hunters parked there it could be the influx of frigging hikers with their yap yap dogs which is getting to be a problem even in rural areas. Hikers are getting to be like cockroaches in the south, no place is safe or free of them

The one main place I’m look at has no trails, it’s a pocket of land that’s land locked minus two smaller spots on the road. So I’ll have to give it a shot.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 08:17:49 AM »
I have a couple of pieces that are nearly land locked by private. I found a place to park on private property and access it via a friend of a friend. Some pepperoni or such is a great enticement. I DONT WEAR CAMMO! just earth tones and a lot of fleece.  Fleece is both quiet and looks normal. Urban cammo. you dont want to scare the Karens or make them aware of your presence.

dont drive your lifted truck with hunting stickers. drive he wife's minivan or steal the kids Honda
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 10:13:40 AM »
I have a couple of pieces that are nearly land locked by private. I found a place to park on private property and access it via a friend of a friend. Some pepperoni or such is a great enticement. I DONT WEAR CAMMO! just earth tones and a lot of fleece.  Fleece is both quiet and looks normal. Urban cammo. you dont want to scare the Karens or make them aware of your presence.

dont drive your lifted truck with hunting stickers. drive he wife's minivan or steal the kids Honda
Awesome advice.. although a little sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 10:44:51 AM »

Awesome advice.. although a little sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old subaru with Snowboarding Stickers was the ultimate in incognito hunting rig! Id just tell people I was hunting mushrooms (partially true)

Confucius

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 11:04:43 AM »
I drive a old Hyundai elantra for just such purposes. Some might even think it's a tweeker mobile. But I don't get as much flack as when I park my truck in the same spots. Oh, and a deer fits nicely in the trunk.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 07:29:20 PM »
I hunt my own property in Thurston county these days. Loaded with deer and don't worry about folks hiking around. But, I do need to pay attention to where I shoot from. My biggest worry is having a dying deer clear the fenceline and expiring in somebody's yard.

Offline Sundance

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 08:34:07 PM »
Nothing is worse then parking your hunting rig with stickers etc. on the side of the road to blow up a local urban honey hole. I’ve discovered several good spots by just noticing vehicles parked and researching the area. Either use an inconspicuous vehicle or park elsewhere and ride a bike in. Sometimes it’s more about misdirection to keeping those spots under your hat. 

Another thing I picked up on was the trucks parked at gates in elk country. If they have local stickers or high school sport’s teams then you know where the locals are chasing elk.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 05:54:01 PM »
Sush! Dont give away all of the tips on how to find honey holes. :chuckle:

To the OP, you have some very good spots close to you and just need to do a little research and scouting.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 06:23:46 PM by cem3434 »
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »
Hitting a new honey hole I procured  tomorrow.  Best part is its 5 min from the house, and its a long time family friend that I just realized has a rental in the perfect location.

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand