collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boyd iverson book  (Read 7687 times)

Offline eastfork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Boyd iverson book
« on: November 28, 2021, 07:38:35 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm looking for a boyd iverson blacktail  book for my 12 year old son for a Christmas present. I can't find one anywhere.  If any one has one that thrt don't use or read anymore I would love to buy it for my son. He absolutely loves deer hunting. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
Re: Boyd iverson book
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 08:15:55 AM »

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 08:19:49 AM »
I did pick up this book from a site member here while back. Hopefully someone has one on there shelf that needs the dust blown off of it!!! Good luck!
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline G.R.K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 01:27:48 PM »
6 used ones on Amazon for $187  :yike:
Losing is natures' way of saying you suck.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »
I'll look around, either I still have it somewhere or sold it to someone on here, can't remember.

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »
I'll look around, either I still have it somewhere or sold it to someone on here, can't remember.

Ok! Awesome! Thanks

Offline CoyoteCowboy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »
Scott Haugen’s is good too!

And a signed copy only costs $20.

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014108737357
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 05:00:55 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm looking for a boyd iverson blacktail  book for my 12 year old son for a Christmas present. I can't find one anywhere.  If any one has one that thrt don't use or read anymore I would love to buy it for my son. He absolutely loves deer hunting.

Boyd's 1st book, if I'm not mistaken, is Blacktail Trophy Tactics, published by Grassroots publications, Eugene, Oregon in 1991. I found this book to be abundantly informative. So much so I hunted blacktail deer exclusively in the high country of the Buckhorn Wilderness on the Olympic Peninsula for many, many years before I turned my attention in the early 2000's to hunting trophy class mule deer in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Blacktail Trophy Tactics is on par with Francis E. Sell's The Deer Hunter's Guide published by The Stackpole Company, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1964. Both these books amount to, in my humble opinion, a PhD course in hunting deer, period.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 05:23:19 PM by nwalpineguide »

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 08:54:24 PM »
Very sad situation.  There's a great out-of-print book out there that a dad wants to give to his kid for Christmas - a very worthy idea.  Hard to imagine that a book that was fairly available up until a couple years ago at or near MRSP (at least for used versions) has now tripled in asking price (or more) - to the point that individuals desiring to learn or share the knowledge of the craft are not willing or capable of paying online asking prices.  These books, now in the possession of speculators, or more specifically - scalpers, will sit on shelves, unread for many years. 

I'm not opposed to people making a profit by identifying and buying up highly sought after items and then selling them at reasonable rates, but when these sellers jack the prices up well above what the market will bear, the economic model of supply and demand goes out the window.  Since there is no possibility of the supply of the product radically changing in the future, these sellers immediately raise prices to levels above the level that the market can't support.  The seller's don't care too much if they sit on their inventory for awhile because they bought up as many books as they could find, presumably at steep discount, and now have some control of the market for the product.  They are willing to sit on the product for years if necessary to realize their gain.  The potential upside on a sale outweighs the (low) cost of holding an item long term.    Good for them, bad for potential readers searching for knowledge.

I'm pretty sure Boyd would have put the book back into another printing if he was still alive.  From hazy memory it seems like there might have been some conflict preventing his heirs from doing the same (though  am very likely wrong).  Certainly, there is enough demand for the book to justify a limited printing every few years.  Sadly, there's no immediate relief from the current situation other than to do daily checks on the internet for a new listing of this book.  I'd give your son my copy, but I have a 13 year-old that still shows some promise of pursuing BT hunting.  Also, since I have no way of knowing if your story is on the up and up or whether you're just some scalper, spinning a yarn in an attempt to purchase more books at discount rates and sell them at insane prices, I'd hesitate to let it go for a song.  Sucks, huh?  Sad situation.

Good luck in your quest.  Diligence in searching the web will surely result in you locating a copy of the book for a reasonable price in the near future.  Maybe not by Christmas, but if you pursue it with gusto, you will succeed.  Merry Christmas brother!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline logola512c

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 12:02:32 PM »

Where can I get the signed version?  Amazon has 2 used copies starting at $59.99 each...

Offline packmule

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »

Where can I get the signed version?  Amazon has 2 used copies starting at $59.99 each...

I agree it is good as well.  Here is the site where you can order.
https://www.scotthaugen.com/shop/trophy-blacktails-the-science-of-the-hunt/

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 02:19:22 PM »
If you are legit you can get a copy from me.  But you are going to need references.  I'm not interested in providing anyone a copy and have them turn around and sell it for $90 on eBay ever again.  I used to purchase every copy I came across at used book stores and garage/estate sales.  I mostly have given them to people who were trying hard, but just not having much success. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 02:30:46 PM by JDHasty »

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 02:28:56 PM »
I haven't paid attention lately.  Great googley moogley

Offline logola512c

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 02:46:53 PM »

I agree it is good as well.  Here is the site where you can order.
https://www.scotthaugen.com/shop/trophy-blacktails-the-science-of-the-hunt/

Thanks for the link.  Always happy to cut the middle man out and go right to the author.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]