collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question on access for native americans  (Read 26162 times)

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Question on access for native americans
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2021, 06:01:48 PM »
Thanks Dan-o. My frustration definitely gets me sometimes.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2021, 06:18:31 PM »
PlateauNDN last active
December 14, 2020
Coastal_native
July 22, 2019, 08:29:30 PM

Some food for thought. Here are some members that Tried to give a contribution to the forum that I remember interacting with. Plat  probably being the most well known. Now I have not spoken with either of them in person or have inside info, but My guess is they got burnt out Trying to explain and argue with many on here.
Do you all want to play fight Cowboys and Indians? or do you want to actually  learn or fix something?

Im going to Steal a quote that a friend of mine says when discussing politics. "Politics is the art of the possible." -- Otto von Bismarck.

So many on here  say that we should do this, or Indians should do that... Never knowing or taking the time to learn what it would actually take to make those changes. Most of us have no Idea of the unintended consequences of what we speak... And normally Chastise government (in general) for the stupid stuff they do and the unintended results that happen.

More likely than not what is possible is that we could encourage Tribes to do the predator control that the State cannot/will not do. What would happen if Tribes over harvested Cats? Deer and Elk populations would explode increasing opportunity. Perhaps some Natives would make a living killing bobcats, and Cougars and selling the pelts making a Living doing something I cannot do. Is that fair? NO! but would I take that bargain over HSUS, PETA, Defenders of Wildlife and other Anti hunting groups driving hunting into the dirt?  SIGN ME UP! Could I finally be able to go on a hound hunt for a Cat? Possibly... Some of you repeat Pie in the sky statements when the basic effort to understand the problems has not been exerted.

My hope is that T bar does not become another Native that gets burnt out replying to blather on here. I provided 2 example of guys that disappeared responding to stupid S... Some things I might have even repeated myself along time ago.

I can dislike the fact that tribal members can drive in closed areas, behind gates, hunt more liberal seasons, shoot rifles when Im Archery hunting, AND STILL  understand that  HSUS, PETA and the like are a bigger danger to my hunting heritage, and my opportunities than any Indians are. It is SO shortsighted to fight over a shrinking pie with the Tribes than to grow the Pie so that the Tribal harves has little impact on me.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
Nice words but in the end, nothing changes till we all play by the same rules.  Deleted several of my comments, I’ll stop here…
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2021, 08:00:44 PM »
One thing I will add to the conversation that has little to no bearing on said conversations.

Game wardens, from what I’ve learned in the past here, hate to be referred to as “gamies.”
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2021, 08:02:54 PM »
You talking about the fish cops ?
 :chuckle:
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2021, 08:04:05 PM »
One thing I will add to the conversation that has little to no bearing on said conversations.

Game wardens, from what I’ve learned in the past here, hate to be referred to as “gamies.”
I know several Gamies and refer to them several different ways. none of which are fish cops however.  :chuckle:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2021, 10:36:04 AM »
Exactly
In Native American impacted areas special tags will continue to be reduced until they get so low with low success that WDFW gives up and just makes area general season like Utah has in areas.   Why manage areas for jerky harvest?  Just open it up.
More ignorant rhetoric.  If the mods want to allow this train wreck to continue I'll continue to respond. Magnum what game warden? I'm sure you got a name, and I trust the state guys know the scenarios up here as well as the access.  I'll gladly follow up to clear the air but I'd bet their story will not be quite as you are recalling it.  I'm guessing you might be embellishing just a bit to look cool on here.

PM me - I stayed at the guys place for 4 days - legit gamey.  Not sure where you are getting your info but I'm getting mine straight from the only enforcement on the ground there.   There is no better info on what is actually happening.  Sorry if reality doesn't jive with your expectations or hopes.

Respectfully, if you knew Tbar, you'd know that he is as much a man of his word as any member on this board.

If the man said talk over a cup of coffee, he meant talk over a cup of coffee.  Throwing a game warden under the bus is not who he is.

We can all have different opinions (heck, we've got people reinterpretting the U.S. Constitution in this thread) but I would not call his character into question.

I agree. I've met Tbar in person and his knowledge about all of this is vast and layered with many complexities and personal experiences. It would be great for those involved in this dispute to take him up on that offer. Probably learn a lot.

Offline Buzzsaw461

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2021, 11:26:31 AM »
Totally agree, Don’t see that happening though unfortunately.
Nice words but in the end, nothing changes till we all play by the same rules.  Deleted several of my comments, I’ll stop here…

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2021, 11:33:38 AM »
I think we should start a "Go Fund Me" to pay them bounties for shooting predators that we can't.  :dunno:
Smart. I’ll throw cash at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »
@bigtex   This question has come up and you might be able to answer it.

Can a tribal member take a regular non-tribal hunter and run hounds, tree cougar or bear, trap wolves.. etc, the tribe would issue a tag to that non-tribe person, and let that non-tribal member harvest it?

This question is regarding off reservation "in common with" land or ceded lands. 

My opinion - the non-tribal member will be bound by all WDFW rules and regulations, thus the tribe could not guide a hunt for a non-tribal member unless they follow all the WDFW rules for that non-tribal hunter, or the hunt is conducted on the reservation where WDFW has no jurisdiction. 

Thanks BT

Offline Buzzsaw461

• Hunter
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2021, 11:39:10 AM »
Agree, would love to see that happen.
I know it will never happen, but in a perfect world all of the Elk hunters in this state would take a year off and not buy an elk tag.  The State might pay attention to our grievance if the General fund took a major hit.

As much as I appreciate being able to blow off steam here about this topic (my pet peeve), Nothing will ever happen here until we generate a collective voice and have the leverage to force policy makers to hear us

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2021, 11:51:38 AM »
Careful what you wish for,hoof rot just may make buying a tag pointless.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2021, 12:20:54 PM »
@bigtex   This question has come up and you might be able to answer it.

Can a tribal member take a regular non-tribal hunter and run hounds, tree cougar or bear, trap wolves.. etc, the tribe would issue a tag to that non-tribe person, and let that non-tribal member harvest it?

This question is regarding off reservation "in common with" land or ceded lands. 

My opinion - the non-tribal member will be bound by all WDFW rules and regulations, thus the tribe could not guide a hunt for a non-tribal member unless they follow all the WDFW rules for that non-tribal hunter, or the hunt is conducted on the reservation where WDFW has no jurisdiction. 

Thanks BT

You are generally correct. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2021, 12:45:34 PM »
It’s written into the Colville regs that a tribal memeber cannot run hounds with a non tribal member present.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2021, 12:56:01 PM »
Anybody have a clue how many cats the tribes kill vs non-tribal?
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg