collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question on access for native americans  (Read 26174 times)

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Question on access for native americans
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2021, 01:40:25 AM »
I cant speak about all tribes. The Quinaults do seem to do a great job especially on the fish side. I think the tribes behind the Nooksack heard are the reason the elk there are even in huntable numbers they are now. Those tribes up there where behind the relocating of the St helens elk to rebuild that Nooksack heard. I also heard they really dont get alot of permits. Pretty much the same amount the regular hunters get.  Id say thats pretty fair even if they do get more time in the field to fill them

Offline Buzzsaw461

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »
This thread was started by someone who questioned people driving on closed roads and using rifles in an archery season. How this is fair I don’t see that. How that benefits Deer and Elk herds that are on the decline I don’t see that either. If we as a whole want to see our elk and deer herds improve all parties should work on a level playing field to do just that.
I cant speak about all tribes. The Quinaults do seem to do a great job especially on the fish side. I think the tribes behind the Nooksack heard are the reason the elk there are even in huntable numbers they are now. Those tribes up there where behind the relocating of the St helens elk to rebuild that Nooksack heard. I also heard they really dont get alot of permits. Pretty much the same amount the regular hunters get.  Id say thats pretty fair even if they do get more time in the field to fill them

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2021, 07:37:57 AM »
elbe hills 6 tribes have keys to what otherwise is a walk in area for everyone else. wdfw couldn't manage a garage sale but it sure doesn't help when the tribe will not share harvest data to be a true co manager. Being that i'm in the woods year round I have seen the fall out on both sides, I have also met some awesome tribal members who had their crap together and really cared about the resource, Bottom line its going to take everyone to get on board because whats happening now isn't working for anyone.
go ahead on er.

Offline Buzzsaw461

• Hunter
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2021, 02:32:26 PM »
 :yeah:
elbe hills 6 tribes have keys to what otherwise is a walk in area for everyone else. wdfw couldn't manage a garage sale but it sure doesn't help when the tribe will not share harvest data to be a true co manager. Being that i'm in the woods year round I have seen the fall out on both sides, I have also met some awesome tribal members who had their crap together and really cared about the resource, Bottom line its going to take everyone to get on board because whats happening now isn't working for anyone.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2021, 05:45:20 PM »

:yeah:  Nooksack Natives have strict native hunter quotas but the "Ceremonial Harvest" is higher and those numbers aren't readily available that I've heard of.  Two weeks ago the Natives harvested 30 head out of one herd up in a Nooksack logging cut as the loggers watched.  "Ceremonial Harvest"  - which is all fine but messes up trying to manage by the numbers.    Maybe they do count them, if so wonder what the number is?   Whatever it is the Cougars/Bear are getting way more.

Offline Meathunter06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Hunting Washington Forum
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »

:yeah:  Nooksack Natives have strict native hunter quotas but the "Ceremonial Harvest" is higher and those numbers aren't readily available that I've heard of.  Two weeks ago the Natives harvested 30 head out of one herd up in a Nooksack logging cut as the loggers watched.  "Ceremonial Harvest"  - which is all fine but messes up trying to manage by the numbers.    Maybe they do count them, if so wonder what the number is?   Whatever it is the Cougars/Bear are getting way more.
They are doing to elk what they already have done to steelhead and salmon runs this state is screwed  :bash:

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2021, 06:47:21 PM »

:yeah:  Nooksack Natives have strict native hunter quotas but the "Ceremonial Harvest" is higher and those numbers aren't readily available that I've heard of.  up in a Nooksack logginTwo weeks ago the Natives harvested 30 head out of one herd g cut as the loggers watched. "Ceremonial Harvest"  - which is all fine but messes up trying to manage by the numbers.    Maybe they do count them, if so wonder what the number is?   Whatever it is the Cougars/Bear are getting way more.
They are doing to elk what they already have done to steelhead and salmon runs this state is screwed  :bash:

I wonder how many of those elk went to waste?

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2021, 06:57:34 PM »
Yeah I wonder how many of them there was. Seem like it would take at least 12 to 15 proficient guys to even be able to process that many elk in any kind of a timely manner. Well Maybe not if you’re just grabbing heads and back straps

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2021, 09:43:46 PM »
I can’t comment on the processing of those 30
Elk.  It sounded like a big stink, loggers called authorities, weren’t sure how much meat was going to be cared for.   Natives said was ceremonial and that was that.  Hopefully it was cared for and will feed some families.

Offline polishstunner

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2021, 09:47:47 PM »
Surprised guys on this site spoke about this issue.  Not really politically correct to discuss this.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2021, 11:17:31 PM »
Elk.  It sounded like a big stink, loggers called authorities, weren’t sure how much meat was going to be cared for.   Natives said was ceremonial and that was that.  Hopefully it was cared for and will feed some families.

Did they take any pictures?

Everyone has a phone these days.

I can't fathom a scenario where a group can drop 30 elk like that.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2021, 06:48:53 AM »
I can’t either.  But if I had pics I wouldn’t  post them.  This isn’t a Native Bashing thread.  We are all in this together against predators and habitat loss.  1 tribe takes 30 elk out of 1500 in the unit is a drop in the bucket and for good cause.   But I would like to see these harvests numbers tracked.

Offline Meathunter06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Hunting Washington Forum
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2021, 08:15:23 AM »
I can’t either.  But if I had pics I wouldn’t  post them.  This isn’t a Native Bashing thread.  We are all in this together against predators and habitat loss.  1 tribe takes 30 elk out of 1500 in the unit is a drop in the bucket and for good cause.   But I would like to see these harvests numbers tracked.
30 in one day but what about the other 351 days in a year  :dunno: People need to take pictures of natives slaughtering wildlife for so called ceremonial purposes so the average person can see what is happening to our wildlife :yike:

Offline Buzzsaw461

• Hunter
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2021, 08:50:43 AM »
Agree, If 30 Elk were killed total that’s one thing. But in one day? That’s a whole different story. You can’t negotiate with Predators not to kill, but you should be able to negotiate with the Tribes to help improve our Elk and Deer Herds. People on this thread have talked about asking the Tribes to increase their Predator take and lessen their take of Deer and Elk. That would be a great start to improve our Herds.
30 in one day but what about the other 351 days in a year  :dunno: People need to take pictures of natives slaughtering wildlife for so called ceremonial purposes so the average person can see what is happening to our wildlife :yike:

Offline Tinmaniac

• Scout
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »

Did they take any pictures?

Everyone has a phone these days.

I can't fathom a scenario where a group can drop 30 elk like that.
A couple trucks,a few guys,lots of bullets and no rules and presto.30 dead elk.We won't talk about the night spotlight hunts where everything that is hit but falls in the dark is left to rot.Truth isn't bashing.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal