collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to reloading. Please advise.  (Read 3153 times)

Offline danjabellza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to reloading. Please advise.
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »
Hey folks. First post here. I am looking at getting into reloading. I don’t shoot competition or anything, really just trying to use my brass and maintain some collection of ammo while it gets more scarce. I shoot 9mm, 357/38, 223/5.56, and 6.5creedmoor. Is there a single setup  that I can do the rifle/pistol calibers with just a die swap? What would be a decent, relatively inexpensive setup? What all do I need to really get going? Thanks, and sorry for the noob questions. I’m literally a noob.

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: New to reloading. Please advise.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:12:36 AM »
 :hello:

You need a press, scales, dies, for starters.  Tons of books or computer,  most reloading books are on line now.  Of course the bullets,primers and powder to go with your brass.

Lee, RCBS, Lyman are a good start up brands.

If I were to do it all over again(50+ years of stuff),  I'd go L.E. Wilson and a abhor press set up.   You can reload anywhere then, not tied down to a bench!  A bit more money BUT in the long run, well worth it!

Good luck!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:46:25 AM »
I use a turret style press. I have various turrets set up and just have to drop them in for whatever caliber I want to reload. I use it for both rifle and pistol.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 10:54:40 AM »
I have a Lee cast turret and it is set up for 9mm, .357/.38, 30-06 and .243 all on their own plates.  In addition to the press, dies and turret plates you would need a scale, powder trickler, load data, funnel, reloading block and case prep equipment.   To prep cases, I would get a tumbler, walnut media, trimmer, chamfer/debur tool.  Finally, I would also have a decent digital caliper.

That is probably about the minimum needed for decent reloading both pistol and rifle.  From there, the sky is the limit.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
Get a good, brand name, single stage kit with a press and lots of your basic accessories. Then you get dies and a couple other items per caliber. Even if you upgrade in the future, you'll always be happy you have a basic press.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 11:47:47 AM »
The ole RCBS rockchukar I or II has sure been a solid press for many folks

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 11:56:48 AM »
 :yeah: I can’t tell you have many rounds have come off mine over the years. Still functions like new. I have a couple presses but my favorite single stage by far.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »
I wouldn't mind a single stage for a box of rifle shells, but it would drive me mad trying to reload 500 or 1,000 pistol rounds.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »
Agre on the walnut media but for finish I'd use the corn cob media, just a personnal preference. Add a pocket reamer if reloading picked up salvaged 223/5.56 brass. And pocket brushes for the deep cleaning of the primer pockets. The turret press is definitely the more convenient way to go but is also the more expensive, a single stage like the RCBS Rock Chucker is what I use, and have loaded over 10K of 5.56, yes takes longer and  involves changing the individual dies between the steps involved to get finished product but it is what I would recommend getting until you know for certain it is something you are going to pursue for the long haul. Even a used press as long as it is in good condition could get you started. This is all strictly my opinion so you can take it or leave it
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 02:07:47 PM »
One item not mentioned yet that every reloader is going to need at some point (especially if you are new) is a bullet puller.

If you are ever in my area (Port Orchard) I can show you my set up and maybe help you with some tips.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »
First of all "Welcome to the site".
I'm with Stein, I have a Lee cast turret and it is set up for 9mm, 45ACP, .357/.38, 30-06, .308, 6.5X55, 45-70 and 9.3X62 all on different plates. I also run a Dillion Square Deal for 38/357 when I want to crank out a bunch. Keep in mind you won't be saving any money it's just fun and relaxing. Shoot me a PM, I might have some spare gear laying around.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline bmc02

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 02:29:35 PM »
I'm a newbie reloader as well so my advice is not worth a lot but I've been happy with the hornady lock n load single stage kit I've had a couple years. Haven't used it a lot, mostly just bought it to reload hard to find .32 win special for my model 94. Came with most everything needed to get started. Quick change bushings are nice for swapping dies quickly.

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 02:41:54 PM »
The ole RCBS rockchukar I or II has sure been a solid press for many folks

Literally what I use for all of my reloading needs. Is it a bit slow and cumbersome, yes...but does it get the job done, also yes.
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 03:08:42 PM »
I've used a RCBS single-stage press for 35 years, or so.  It is a slow process, but changing the dies for the different calibers is a simple process.  I reload a couple different rifle calibers, as well as .45 ACP, .41 magnum, .44 magnum, .357 magnum.  RCBS dies are usually very easy to find.

In addition to the already mentioned equipment don't forget a case lube pad, and shell holders for the different calibers.   In addition to the walnut media I, too, would recommend corn cob media.  I use a hand-priming tool rather than using the press to seat dies.

Good luck, and have fun.  It is a very rewarding hobby.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Snakeriver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 06:33:33 PM »
Learn to use your calipers, so you know what is your doing during the resizing process. Whiddens click adjuster full length sizing dies are really nice. I really like the forster co ax press.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal